News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

mb-cg creations

Started by mb-cg, December 03, 2012, 07:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: SBell on December 14, 2013, 12:21:44 AM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 13, 2013, 05:04:48 PM
That could be neat..or a sleeping one even.

Same here, 1:40 is the smallest I buy.

See, funny thing--when it comes to my shapeways dinos, I like the 1:72 or 1:60 sizes. Mostly for space reasons! But for other critters, like the RAZH00 fish and amphibians, the larger scales were necessary (of course).

I can see the space issue being well..an issue.  I just prefer larger dino replicas..who'd have thought eh ? heh :)

dutchdinolover

Man...
I am in love...
(With your work)

tyrantqueen

See, funny thing--when it comes to my shapeways dinos, I like the 1:72 or 1:60 sizes. Mostly for space reasons! But for other critters, like the RAZH00 fish and amphibians, the larger scales were necessary (of course).
I like medium sized models, but I think for large species, like sauropods, Shapeways isn't practical at the moment. Some artists have talked about breaking the 3D model into separate pieces, which sounds interesting but I haven't seen it implemented yet.

Zhuchengotyrant

Of a spino was 60 feet, wouldn't a 1:72 model be ten inches long
-Zhuchengotyrant

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: tyrantqueen on December 14, 2013, 11:43:37 AM

I like medium sized models, but I think for large species, like sauropods, Shapeways isn't practical at the moment. Some artists have talked about breaking the 3D model into separate pieces, which sounds interesting but I haven't seen it implemented yet.

I'm still waiting to see this attempted for sale on site....I do think it's how David gets a master to get made into resin isn't it ?

mb-cg

Quote from: dutchdinolover on December 14, 2013, 08:47:30 AM
Man...
I am in love...
(With your work)

hahaha thank you  :D

Quote from: Zhuchengotyrant on December 14, 2013, 04:47:37 PM

I explained it in my last post, I used Scott Hartman reconstruction, not the estimated size. Also the dimensions that are shown on Shapeways are from the posed figure. In neutral pose the 1/72 version is about 7.4 inches.

tyrantqueen

QuoteI explained it in my last post, I used Scott Hartman reconstruction, not the estimated size. Also the dimensions that are shown on Shapeways are from the posed figure. In neutral pose the 1/72 version is about 7.4 inches.
Is the Shapeways measurement of 8 inches accurate for the 1/40 version? I'm asking since people have mentioned Shapeways tend to get the measurements incorrect.

mb-cg

Quote from: tyrantqueen on December 14, 2013, 06:11:03 PM
QuoteI explained it in my last post, I used Scott Hartman reconstruction, not the estimated size. Also the dimensions that are shown on Shapeways are from the posed figure. In neutral pose the 1/72 version is about 7.4 inches.
Is the Shapeways measurement of 8 inches accurate for the 1/40 version? I'm asking since people have mentioned Shapeways tend to get the measurements incorrect.

The 1/40 version is 7.224w x 4.953d x 8.671h inches, in neutral pose it would be 13.3 inches long. It's actually the biggest figure I have uploaded.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Good job on using Scott's reconstructions. I do the same myself. 

That's a nice big figure at 13"+ !

Zhuchengotyrant

Quote from: mb-cg on December 14, 2013, 05:47:08 PM
Quote from: dutchdinolover on December 14, 2013, 08:47:30 AM
Man...
I am in love...
(With your work)

hahaha thank you  :D

Quote from: Zhuchengotyrant on December 14, 2013, 04:47:37 PM

I explained it in my last post, I used Scott Hartman reconstruction, not the estimated size. Also the dimensions that are shown on Shapeways are from the posed figure. In neutral pose the 1/72 version is about 7.4 inches.
I don't really care, I still want it! ;)
-Zhuchengotyrant

Blade-of-the-Moon

tyrantqueen

Blade-of-the-Moon

postsaurischian

....... people have mentioned Shapeways tend to get the measurements incorrect.

I must say I've never experienced that and I don't believe anyone really has. Maybe he or she read it wrong?

tyrantqueen

Quote from: postsaurischian on December 15, 2013, 01:10:48 PM
....... people have mentioned Shapeways tend to get the measurements incorrect.

I must say I've never experienced that and I don't believe anyone really has. Maybe he or she read it wrong?
I believe it was Spinosaurus aegyptiacus who expressed concern that the Shapeways measurements were incorrect.

QuoteManuel, Shapeways is really confusing me as to the approximate size of models on that site. Can you tell us exactly how big (in inches) most of your models are? Again, I know Shapeways says, but I also know that Shapeways has a track record of having the wrong dimensions. Thanks.

QuoteTQ, I've heard it from several forum members, and I have also heard that in many cases, like the one you mentioned, it is only about an inch off.

I have also experienced it to small extent, with the 1/35 Concavenator model being listed as 5.829 in length, when it was in fact a little over 6 inches.

tyrantqueen

Since it's the Christmas season, I decided to treat myself and ordered Manuel's 1/40 Spinosaurus in Frosted Detail. It won't arrive in time for Crimbo, but I'm excited all the same :)

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: tyrantqueen on December 15, 2013, 04:00:42 PM
Since it's the Christmas season, I decided to treat myself and ordered Manuel's 1/40 Spinosaurus in Frosted Detail. It won't arrive in time for Crimbo, but I'm excited all the same :)

Cool , can't wait to see pics when it arrives !  ^-^

mb-cg

Quote from: tyrantqueen on December 15, 2013, 03:49:57 PM
I have also experienced it to small extent, with the 1/35 Concavenator model being listed as 5.829 in length, when it was in fact a little over 6 inches.

The Shapeways measurements are correct.  Shapeways gives the size of the bounding box that contains the figure and you probably measured it from head to tail. Here is an example with the Concavenator to show it better:

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 15, 2013, 04:03:09 PM
Quote from: tyrantqueen on December 15, 2013, 04:00:42 PM

Cool , can't wait to see pics when it arrives !  ^-^

I can't wait to see it too  :D

tyrantqueen

QuoteThe Shapeways measurements are correct.  Shapeways gives the size of the bounding box that contains the figure and you probably measured it from head to tail. Here is an example with the Concavenator to show it better:
That explains it then :)

Blade-of-the-Moon

It's a boxed dinosaur ! Reminds me of lunch yesterday ( Kentucky Fried Chicken ) lol

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: