News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

mb-cg creations

Started by mb-cg, December 03, 2012, 07:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hellraptor

I like both versions, it also depends in what kind of use it goin to have. If you are gonna do a super paleoartistic version, i Think feathers are the most obvious thig to do but for coolness, the scaly one. However i look forward to see you featherd version :)
Taking dinosaurs of this islandis the worst idea in the long, sad story of bad ideas

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Hellraptor on January 06, 2014, 10:59:12 AM
I like both versions, it also depends in what kind of use it goin to have. If you are gonna do a super paleoartistic version, i Think feathers are the most obvious thig to do but for coolness, the scaly one. However i look forward to see you featherd version :)
He's already posted the feathered version ???

Blade-of-the-Moon

I think he expected a MORE feathered version. When I saw it I had to look hard to see them.  A quick scroll though wouldn't show enough difference. 

mb-cg

Hello, it seems that the opinions about the feathered or scaly versions are fifty-fifty :D The image I posted of the feathered Rex is a simple test and I'm working on it to make it different enough from the scaly Rex. The first version will be the scaly one, and when I'm happy with the feathered version I will upload it too.

I'm working with different poses and I think I will choose a simple one for the first version, although I'm open to suggestions. Here is an image:

Also I've doing some tests for adding combat injuries to the Rex head. Do you prefer it with o without injuries?:

alexeratops

Quote from: mb-cg on January 07, 2014, 12:42:21 AM
Hello, it seems that the opinions about the feathered or scaly versions are fifty-fifty :D The image I posted of the feathered Rex is a simple test and I'm working on it to make it different enough from the scaly Rex. The first version will be the scaly one, and when I'm happy with the feathered version I will upload it too.

I'm working with different poses and I think I will choose a simple one for the first version, although I'm open to suggestions. Here is an image:

Also I've doing some tests for adding combat injuries to the Rex head. Do you prefer it with o without injuries?:

With. Without. 50 50. :D
like a bantha!

tyrantqueen

I like the injuries. It's nice to see a specimen of T.rex that isn't in an artificially perfect condition. I'm sure the real animal had a tough life and got into a lot of scrapes.

jtn144

The injuries look great and are a good idea! I would think a prone pose with more severe injuries would also be very unique & interesting.

Balaur

I agree. I love the wounds, gives it a more realistic feel to it.

Yutyrannus

I like the injuries on the head, however unfortunately they might not be obvious in the final Shapeways print :(. Anyway, it is still an awesome idea ;D!

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Yutyrannus on January 07, 2014, 01:34:57 AM
I like the injuries on the head, however unfortunately they might not be obvious in the final Shapeways print :(. Anyway, it is still an awesome idea ;D!
I think they'd have a better chance of showing up in the frosted materials.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: tyrantqueen on January 07, 2014, 12:50:56 AM
I like the injuries. It's nice to see a specimen of T.rex that isn't in an artificially perfect condition. I'm sure the real animal had a tough life and got into a lot of scrapes.

Recall David's piece for Sideshow ? A nice wound there..the original art concept actually called for an even more drastic tear in the face..pretty cool.

Tyrannosaurs withstood an unbelievable amount of damage in their lives..facial scares and tears were a common occurrence it seems...more brutal damage like crushed skull parts also occured and they survived through it.  Just so very AWESOME !

Love the basic simple pose there for the first one. :)

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 07, 2014, 05:44:09 AM

Recall David's piece for Sideshow ? A nice wound there..the original art concept actually called for an even more drastic tear in the face..pretty cool.

Tyrannosaurs withstood an unbelievable amount of damage in their lives..facial scares and tears were a common occurrence it seems...more brutal damage like crushed skull parts also occured and they survived through it.  Just so very AWESOME !

Didn't the "Big Al" Allosaurus specimen show traces broken bones, infections and various other pathologies? Life must have been tough for a theropod. I think the carnivores actually had it tougher than the herbivores. Vegetation doesn't fight back >:D

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: tyrantqueen on January 07, 2014, 06:41:01 AM

Didn't the "Big Al" Allosaurus specimen show traces broken bones, infections and various other pathologies? Life must have been tough for a theropod. I think the carnivores actually had it tougher than the herbivores. Vegetation doesn't fight back >:D

Yes it did ! Quite a few injuries really.   Carnivores generally do have rougher lives I think. They have such a harder time of it in general. I suppose it makes sense they get damaged more..when the only tools you have are teeth and claws..all your interactions even with your own species are going to involve them.

Plants can and do fight back..but just not in a bone crushing, flesh ripping way. Toxins, thorns and such are their more subtle aggression.

mb-cg

I finally uploaded 1/72 and 1/40 versions of the Tyrannosaurus Rex. I used the Scott Hartman's skeletal reconstruction of Sue to design the figure, so the 1/40 figure length would be around 30cm long in a neutral pose. I have also received four of my 1/72 figures so if I can photograph them properly I'll show the photos here :)

postsaurischian

:D Wow! I like your 'Sue' a lot and ordered her :).

SpartanSquat

Quote from: mb-cg on January 07, 2014, 12:42:21 AM

I really love the details and scars of the head. Are justo awesome!
Excelente!

SBell

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 07, 2014, 07:11:54 AM

Yes it did ! Quite a few injuries really.   Carnivores generally do have rougher lives I think. They have such a harder time of it in general. I suppose it makes sense they get damaged more..when the only tools you have are teeth and claws..all your interactions even with your own species are going to involve them.

Plants can and do fight back..but just not in a bone crushing, flesh ripping way. Toxins, thorns and such are their more subtle aggression.

Generally, a plant-eater's dinner wounds are on their teeth--pitting and worn down cusps being the big ones. Especially in mammals (sneaky reptiles just lose them and replace them with more!).

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: SBell on January 09, 2014, 01:00:30 AM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 07, 2014, 07:11:54 AM

Generally, a plant-eater's dinner wounds are on their teeth--pitting and worn down cusps being the big ones. Especially in mammals (sneaky reptiles just lose them and replace them with more!).

I'd rather we went the reptile/shark route with our dentition...would have made things much easier when it comes to our teeth.

DeadToothCrackKnuckle

Quote from: mb-cg on January 04, 2014, 09:15:19 PM

I grew up with scaly dinosaurs and it costs me a lot seeing the T. Rex, the King of the dinosaurs covered with feathers XD Anyway, the evidences are there so I have done a test with feathers and I will try to upload a 1/40 feathered version:

Quote from: radman on January 04, 2014, 08:43:25 PM
One other nice thing about Manuel's models is, he has started putting the holes for hollowing out the figure on the bottom of the feet instead of the belly - still useful for supporting the figure without having to cover the hole up later.

Thanks radman for the photos  :D. Shapeways is getting more and more restrictive with the escape holes, and I'm trying to make the holes the less visible I can. I try to avoid swiss cheese dinosaur figures XD

Might I suggest you remove the scutes along the back for the feathered version? I feel like it would flow much better.

©Julius T. Csotonyi

mb-cg

Quote from: postsaurischian on January 08, 2014, 09:49:14 PM
:D Wow! I like your 'Sue' a lot and ordered her :).

Thank you postsaurischian  :D

Quote from: DeadToothCrackKnuckle on January 09, 2014, 04:36:02 AM
Might I suggest you remove the scutes along the back for the feathered version? I feel like it would flow much better.

I want to make the feathered version really different from the scaly one, so probably I'll remove the scutes. Thank you for the suggestion

Finally I photographed my 1/72 figures. Now I have seen for myself how difficult is photographing the WSF figures XD

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: