News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

The Most Pleasing Figure

Started by Lynx, November 02, 2022, 03:26:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lynx

We've had threads about the best figure, the worst, and the ugliest, but sometimes a figure's quality isn't everything. Color schemes, pose, general sculpt, and charm in itself can play a large role as to if someone is pleased with a figure.

So with that aside, what is, in your opinion, the most pleasing figure?

For me, this is likely the Papo Acrocanthosaurus. It is not very accurate, and there have been many complaints regarding it, but no matter where I place it on a shelf, it just looks nice. The colors especially make it very pleasing to look at.
An oversized house cat.

Bread

PNSO Sede the Ankylosaurus
Safari Ltd. Sauropelta

Their poses I find to be simple yet life-like. Colorschemes are not bold, but simple and life-like.

Pliosaurking

BOTM Adult Triceratops, need I explain?!
Also Nanmu's Buck Rex is fantastic, and so is their new Spinosaurus.

TooOldForDinosaurs

Toyway Ophthalmosaurus obviously  ;)

Faelrin

There are a lot to pick from in my collection, and I do mean a lot, let alone those I yearn for still. I don't know if I could pick just one. So I'll just go with my top ten, and I'll only include static models, since I treat BotM and the Mattel JW stuff as separate collections and displays from the rest anyways.

So my top ten contenders are the:

-Favorite Ltd Cambrian Creatures Mini Model set (which I suppose is cheating a bit, but the variety of critters, and all the colors makes for a great display altogether)
-PNSO Lambeosaurus (been wanting a green Lambeosaurus for years, and then it came along)
-PNSO Parasaurolophus (great colors, posture, and pairs great with the Lambeosaurus)
-Safari Ltd Deinonychus (fills in that desire for a figure resembling Emily Willoughby's dromaeosaurid artwork I had for years. Edit: Close second would be the Rebor trio. They were the best option until that one came around, and honestly they probably scale better with the Sauropelta, and the new PNSO Acrocanthosaurus)
-Safari Ltd Pteranodon (my favorite pterosaur model, love the colors and standing pose, as well as the shape of the crest)
-Safari Ltd Carnotaurus (a bit outdated now with the recent re-interpretation of the integument, but love the pose, coloration, and that it sports lips. Edit: A close second pick would be the Rebor one. Head is a bit wide, and feet are excessively big, but otherwise I like that it has lips, and I love the coloration on it)
-Safari Ltd Sauropelta (the pose, the sculpt detail, and although simple, the colors)
-Rebor Tyrannosaurus Kiss (is the most appealing static Tyrannosaurus model now for me, with Safari Ltd's in close second, only downside is the poor execution of the jaw articulation. Colors and sculpt with lips are great however)

Kaiyodo's Diplocaulus (the red one), and the Dino Expo 2016 Yi come in 9th and 10th place. Easily some of the best of the very few offerings out there for both of those animals.

Things like the new PNSO Deinocheirus, Acrocanthosaurus, or the 2019 Safari Ltd Camarasaurus, 2022 Albertosaurus, CollectA's 2020 Edaphosaurus, etc are probably gonna be up there, and shuffle things around, but I don't have them yet.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Dusty Wren

This is a really good topic, avatar_Lynx @Lynx.

I got the PNSO Deinocheirus yesterday, and I gotta say, it's an extremely cool figure all around. The size and weight of it, the detailing, and the color choices hit all my aesthetic checkboxes pretty hard. Also, it has my favorite characteristic of a figure: it looks like a living animal. Not a movie monster, or something that was designed with human aesthetics in mind. Just an animal going about its life, doing what animals do.

On the other end of the spectrum, the BotM Xenoceratops doesn't look that much like a living animal (it's got obvious articulation and the colors are probably too intense to be ultra-realistic), but I've loved the look of it since the moment I saw it on David's Instagram. The yellow and brown striping demands attention, and it's a big, imposing figure. It's my current favorite of the BotM line, though it's a close race, because all the BotM dinosaurs are pretty striking.
Check out my customs thread!

Halichoeres

Even after all these years, it might still be this Diictodon:
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Stegotyranno420

Thialfi

edit: I need some more time to think about this, I feel I answered too hastily

SidB

At this time, for me it's my new Rebor 'Kiss' rex. I'm highly pleased with it's appearance among my PNSO rexes (6, of all sizes - minis, Wilson 1, 2 , Andrea and the Nano, which I use as a juvenile).

BlueKrono

I'd honestly have to agree with avatar_TooOldForDinosaurs @TooOldForDinosaurs - that Ophthalmosaurus is probably the most beautifully colored prehistoric creature ever made. A runner up would be the Dinosaur King Futabasaurus. Spectacular colors on that one.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Dyscrasia

All the Invicta monochrome sauropods, and among them, I particularly like the look of their Mamenchisaurus.

Libraraptor

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on November 03, 2022, 02:01:40 AMWhere is that Diictodon from?

One of a kind. Sculpted and painted by Spanish artist Carlos Domínguez Vega in 2015.

As for me, I think my Bernd Wolter Design Corythosaurus is still my most pleasing figure, due to its origin and the history we share and how we met.

http://dinotoyblog.com/2012/12/01/corythosaurus-bernd-wolter-design/

Also, I think White Post Moschops is pleasing for its rareness and ugliness.

Shane

There is something about the string of Safari Ltd recent ceratopsians that I find super satisfying and pleasing. The sculpt and paint and detail is all a perfect storm to me of just very pleasing figures.

Specifically I would say the Vagaceratops, Naustoceratops, Regaliceratops and Diabloceratops are some of my faves. But I also love the Pachyrhinosaurus, Einiosaurus, Triceratops and Styracosaurus.

ceratopsian

So many to choose from, all crying for my vote! 

In the sitting room, the BotM Chasmosaurus.  Something about the colours always calls to me as I see it sitting there on one of my (large) hifi speakers.

In the study - a toss up between the PNSO Lingwulong, their Lambeosaurus - and the cute baby Sinoceratops, all off to my right as I type.  But if I glance to the left, then it's their Miragaia standing on the Rebor Winter base.

In my model room: just too difficult.  Wherever I look I see a much loved figure that delights my eyes.  Perhaps my eye lingers most often on the wonderful Sinornithosaurus, modelled by Bingni and painted by Martin Garratt, and acquired with the help of avatar_acro-man @acro-man.  But I'm also always delighted by the Safari Malawisaurus and Camarasaurus.  However, ask me another day and you would get a different answer here in this room especially.  But then isn't that part of the pleasure of having a collection?

Samrukia

unpopular pick, i suppose, but
CollectA Metriacanthosaurus

Carnoking

Battat Diplodocus. Grace, power, and size all in one, and no other rearing sculpt before or since has managed to capture all three.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on November 03, 2022, 02:01:40 AMWhere is that Diictodon from?

avatar_Libraraptor @Libraraptor is correct, this was sculpted by a forum member when I was new around here. There are more photos here: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=3390.msg114865#msg114865

The Toyway Ophthalmosaurus is a very good choice, a really elegant figure.

The Battat Dippy is no slouch, either.

avatar_ceratopsian @ceratopsian well put!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Gwangi

I agree about the Invicta sauropods. All of them are some of the most elegant sauropods ever produced in plastic. The Brachiosaurus is my favorite of the bunch.

Speaking of sauropods. The Eofauna Atlasaurus and Diplodocus are two of the best sauropods in recent years. Pleasing in every regard. Posture, coloration, texture, etc.

Among Safari toys I find the Nasutoceratops to be the most pleasing of the ceratopsians but I adore all of those sculpted by Doug Watson. Also, the Coelophysis does everything right for me.

PNSO has several pleasing figures but I'm still most in love with the Corythosaurus. Also, the Dunkleosteus and Helicoprion I find particularly pleasing, this is definitely aided by their wet looking sheen, they are very convincing fish. Also, the Livyatan. I do not have the Kronosaurus but I find it to be one of the most visually pleasing and convincing marine reptiles.

Speaking of marine reptiles, I agree with the Toyway Ophthalmosaurus. Also the Carnegie Ichthyosaurus and Tylosaurus. I sadly do not have any of those 3.

Believe it or not, I find the Mattel Brachiosaurus and Dreadnoughtus to also be pleasing. The latter especially, I can't take my eyes off of it.

And lastly, for now, the Battat Diplodocus, which still might be my most coveted dinosaur toy. Should I ever acquire it, it might be my favorite piece in my collection.

EDIT: Almost forgot, the Battat Styracosaurus. Arguably better Styracosaurus figures exist but this one is still the most fetching, in my opinion.

BlueKrono

I quite agree with avatar_Gwangi @Gwangi - PNSO made some stellar fish this year. I find more eye-catching colors to make for more attractive figures though. I had to jump in again with an honorable mention for the BotM Linheraptor. I forget it initially since I don't own it, but I truly think it's the most attractive theropod ever made.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: