News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

HAOLONGGOOD - New For 2023

Started by vampiredesign, November 28, 2022, 07:00:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gwangi

I'm curious to see how a new and improved Haolonggood theropod turns out. I have a few Allosaurus but not the new Safari or PNSO so I'm eager to see what Haolonggood does. As long as they don't turn into PNSO I'm cool with some theropods from them. More obscure genera, smaller, and more basal species would be most appreciated of course.

Faelrin

The only Allosaurus I have is the Papo one too (Toyway WWD and Mattel JW aside I think). It still has charm for me all these years later. It may not be as accurate as the Safari Ltd, PNSO, CollectA, and upcoming Cyberzoic/BotM ones, but something about it still appeals to me. Probably a combination of coloration and pose, and maybe even the outdated crocodilian integument, etc giving it a dragon (edit: or 90's American Godzilla) like flair. Granted it was the first modern static dinosaur model I came across back in 2012 and I wanted it for years, but didn't finally get one until a few years back, so it may hold some special sentimental value. I recently unboxed it, after taking it and a lot of other figures out of storage, and it felt so good to have it back.

I never got around to getting any of the others (other then the Cyberozoic ones I guess, but not yet painted yet), despite being more accurate then that Papo one, but something about them didn't click with me as much as this one did. I am very curious to see if Haolonggood's will change that.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Skorpio V.

I consider myself pretty critical of Safari's sculpts, but Doug's Allosaurus is probably my favourite theropod sculpt from him. Up there with his feathered rex and dromaeosaurids. Mesozoo's sculpt looks great, prime repaint material for sure. PNSO's has always felt a little off to me, with the stomach and pubic area, as well as the way the neck integrates to the body. Regardless of species, I'm looking forward to Haolonggood's take!
On and off dinosaur collecting phases over the span of millions of years has led me to this very forum.

SidB

Quote from: Gwangi on July 10, 2023, 06:46:45 PMI'm curious to see how a new and improved Haolonggood theropod turns out. I have a few Allosaurus but not the new Safari or PNSO so I'm eager to see what Haolonggood does. As long as they don't turn into PNSO I'm cool with some theropods from them. More obscure genera, smaller, and more basal species would be most appreciated of course.
If their Carcharodontosaurus is any indication, it should be a good one, whatever it proves to be.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Skorpio V. on July 10, 2023, 08:03:55 PMI consider myself pretty critical of Safari's sculpts, but Doug's Allosaurus is probably my favourite theropod sculpt from him. Up there with his feathered rex and dromaeosaurids. Mesozoo's sculpt looks great, prime repaint material for sure. PNSO's has always felt a little off to me, with the stomach and pubic area, as well as the way the neck integrates to the body. Regardless of species, I'm looking forward to Haolonggood's take!

It's certainly one of the best if not the best all around Allosaurus figure out. The older Safari was nice too, I made a pack of them they were so small and affordable. 

Gwangi

Quote from: SidB on July 10, 2023, 08:18:32 PM
Quote from: Gwangi on July 10, 2023, 06:46:45 PMI'm curious to see how a new and improved Haolonggood theropod turns out. I have a few Allosaurus but not the new Safari or PNSO so I'm eager to see what Haolonggood does. As long as they don't turn into PNSO I'm cool with some theropods from them. More obscure genera, smaller, and more basal species would be most appreciated of course.
If their Carcharodontosaurus is any indication, it should be a good one, whatever it proves to be.

I forgot about that one and had their T. rex more at the forefront of my mind. But I agree.

Since we're all talking about the Allosaurus figures we have let's see... I have the little green Safari one, Papo's, the big Kaiyodo one, the original Carnegie, Marx's, and the newer Favorite one. I think that's all of them. Could definitely use a more modern version.

SidB

I also have the green Safari, the newer Watson one, both color variants of the Papo, the PNSO, both Favorites and even the Replicasaurus version 2 Schleich. You'd think that that's plenty, and it is, but I'm game for a new, improved HLG one, if it's forthcoming. Allosaurus is such a classic
. Hard to resist!

Gwangi

Quote from: SidB on July 11, 2023, 02:51:53 AMI also have the green Safari, the newer Watson one, both color variants of the Papo, the PNSO, both Favorites and even the Replicasaurus version 2 Schleich. You'd think that that's plenty, and it is, but I'm game for a new, improved HLG one, if it's forthcoming. Allosaurus is such a classic
. Hard to resist!

Ah yes! I have the Schleich Replicasaurus one too. The older hunched over one. Love it.  ^-^

Skorpio V.

Quote from: TheImmortalEye on July 05, 2023, 10:05:07 PMThe Ouranosaurus also uses the old and ( likely) outdated swan neck reconstruction , pnso tsintaosaurus shows the more current bulky revised neck.
Very surprised no one's batted an eye at this, or other recent releases affected by that new paper like the PNSO Olorotitan. Here's what we could've gotten.
On and off dinosaur collecting phases over the span of millions of years has led me to this very forum.

Carnoking

Quiversaurus

Quote from: Skorpio V. on July 11, 2023, 03:20:49 AM
Quote from: TheImmortalEye on July 05, 2023, 10:05:07 PMThe Ouranosaurus also uses the old and ( likely) outdated swan neck reconstruction , pnso tsintaosaurus shows the more current bulky revised neck.
Very surprised no one's batted an eye at this, or other recent releases affected by that new paper like the PNSO Olorotitan. Here's what we could've gotten.

That's a pretty solid rendition! I'd read that comment and breezed past it. An absolute unit indeed.

Leyster

At the moment that feature was fond in exactly one species. The nuchal ligament do not preserve unless extraordinary circumstances (in Parasaurolophus it was the result of the trauma it received). So we do not know how widespread it was among Lambeosaurines, Hadrosauridae or Hadrosauriformes. Also, it's probably correlated with the beginning of the ossified tendons, which vary within this clade. So the neck of the Haolonggood Ouranosaurus should not be considered outdated in regard to Bertozzo et al. 2020.
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

Faelrin

L @Leyster That's really good information to have. I was kind of wondering that. Regardless of what it could have been, it doesn't impact my enjoyment of their Ouranosaurus (original or revised hands version) in anyway.

I'm also wondering is this also like the Edmontosaurus "hooves", where it could be speculative as the evidence is only found in that one specimen, or would it make sense for other hadrosaurids to have had them too? When I wrote my review of the PNSO Parasaurolophus I had mentioned something along those lines.

Leyster

"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

Faelrin

L @Leyster Too bad it is paywalled. Would have liked to really check out the full extant of the data there. Hadrosaurs (if not ornithopods altogether), are one of my favorite group of dinosaurs, and this is really interesting stuff. If anyone sees this and has access to it, and can pm me a copy, I would be very grateful.

At least from the abstract I can gather that it looks like the fleshy mittens that were reconstructed prior to the Edmontosaurus "Dakota" "hooves" finding, are still valid in some instances then? Maybe I was right to mention in my PNSO Parasaurolophus review that without more evidence it is hard to say if what PNSO did was correct or not. Like take it with a grain of salt.

I also see something else that's interesting. They mention striping in regards to the scale shapes, that may have had corresponding color stripes. Wasn't something like that found in Edmontosaurus regalis? I swear I've seen something about potential stripes or markings in either that hadrosaur, or another, at some point.

SidB

Quote from: Leyster on July 11, 2023, 04:00:12 PMAt the moment that feature was fond in exactly one species. The nuchal ligament do not preserve unless extraordinary circumstances (in Parasaurolophus it was the result of the trauma it received). So we do not know how widespread it was among Lambeosaurines, Hadrosauridae or Hadrosauriformes. Also, it's probably correlated with the beginning of the ossified tendons, which vary within this clade. So the neck of the Haolonggood Ouranosaurus should not be considered outdated in regard to Bertozzo et al. 2020.
Once again it is seen how important it is to keep the 'big picture' in sight, before drawing wide-ranging conclusions. This harkens back to the feathered T-rex snowball of several years ago that gathered more and more momentum  as it rolled down the hill of assumption. That's on the back burner now, once again, awaiting future fossil evidence, if any were to appear in its favor. At the time, people who held to the scales only integument for the Tyrannosaurus rex were increasingly marginalized, wrongly, as it turned out. Best not to leap to conclusions without adequate evidence. It gets tiresome.

Bread

Yeah, as much as I like the chunkier neck build for Hadrosaurs to have now. There's no need for this Olorotitan to have it as Leyster stated above.

I think it has enough bulk for the time being anyways.

TlatolophusJuanorum

A bit late but not last
I received today my Wuerhosaurus and Pachyrhinosaurus pairs, alongside with a beautiful plant each, courtesy of My Online Toy Store.

Such beauties they are! :))
Looking forward to hear more about that upcoming Edmontosaurus!  8)

SidB

I didn't hesitate to order the greyish blue Edmontonia, when it first became available. Now that I've taken a closer look at the orangish one, I've succumbed - ordered one of those too. Just too good to pass up, I suppose. Something for my tyranosaurids to try to chew on (they can try).

ceratopsian

And that is exactly what I did, S @SidB!  There was a flash offer and so a little bit extra off it.  Mine should probably arrive tomorrow, even though it was ordered about a week later than the greyish one.  My excuse is I definitely won't be buying a pair of Allosaurus...

Quote from: SidB on July 13, 2023, 01:17:36 AMI didn't hesitate to order the greyish blue Edmontonia, when it first became available. Now that I've taken a closer look at the orangish one, I've succumbed - ordered one of those too. Just too good to pass up, I suppose. Something for my tyranosaurids to try to chew on (they can try).

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: