News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

HAOLONGGOOD - New For 2023

Started by vampiredesign, November 28, 2022, 07:00:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SidB

Quote from: ceratopsian on July 13, 2023, 08:08:58 AMAnd that is exactly what I did, S @SidB!  There was a flash offer and so a little bit extra off it.  Mine should probably arrive tomorrow, even though it was ordered about a week later than the greyish one.  My excuse is I definitely won't be buying a pair of Allosaurus...

Quote from: SidB on July 13, 2023, 01:17:36 AMI didn't hesitate to order the greyish blue Edmontonia, when it first became available. Now that I've taken a closer look at the orangish one, I've succumbed - ordered one of those too. Just too good to pass up, I suppose. Something for my tyranosaurids to try to chew on (they can try).
I think that I've trotted out that excuse too, avatar_ceratopsian @ceratopsian , and will probably do so again, I suspect.

Renecito

Dilophosaurus WIP

Favorite Brands:              Favorite Dinosaurs:
1 - PNSO                        1 - Carnotaurus
2 - Vitae                         2 - Spinosaurus/Suchomimus
3 - Eofauna                     3 - Therizinosaurus
4 - Carnegie Line             4 - Deinocheirus
5 - CollectA                     5 - Gigantoraptor

Carnoking

Looks like something sideshow would have done back in the day.

Gwangi

Looks like another Haolonggood figure I'll be getting. Would have preferred a more avian and less reptilian appearance, and lips, but I like it all the same. It's better than what else is available.

Faelrin

A bit on the fantastical side, like say compared to the recent Cyberzoic one, but I dig how this looks so far despite that. Looking forward to see what colors this gets, since Haolonggood hasn't disappointed me yet with their colorations.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Sim

It looks amazing!  I prefer a reptilian and lipless look for Dilophosaurus, so I'm very happy with this!  I too look forward to seeing the Haolonggood Dilophosaurus with colour!

Stegotyranno420

I love the draconic look

Quiversaurus

Quote from: Renecito on July 13, 2023, 04:15:48 PMDilophosaurus WIP

Oh wow, I'm liking it so far! I almost got the Papo one back in the day... Let's see how this turns out. Hyped!

Ngl, I genuinely thought it was gonna be an Allosaurus next, but this is good too.

Bread

Quote from: quiversaurus on July 13, 2023, 05:57:36 PMNgl, I genuinely thought it was gonna be an Allosaurus next, but this is good too.

I am pretty sure we have confirmation from the Haolonggood document that there is indeed an Allosaurus coming. So there's nothing wrong with skipping that genus' reveal for a Dilophosaurus for now.

I am definitely glad this genus is getting a "full" update for a figure. Why I quoted full was due to, as far as I can tell, lack of lips. The only downfall this has so far, UNLESS, they pull a rebor a do 2 variants one with and without lips.

Lynx

This has to be the best Dilo I have ever seen, can't wait to see the colors! The HLG team is incredibly talented
An oversized house cat.

Faelrin

avatar_Bread @Bread That would be ideal. Honestly I wish more companies would do that. Rebor definitely had the right idea by making two different sculpts, to satisfy either preference.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Thialfi

That looks great. Lips would be very much preferred at this point, but I can't complain with all the work Haolonggood has done so far.

Prehistory Resurrection

thedeadlymoose

Oh man. Really wishing for feathers, but this Dilo looks so good even without them.

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: thedeadlymoose on July 13, 2023, 10:49:32 PMOh man. Really wishing for feathers, but this Dilo looks so good even without them.
Personally I am happy they did not go on the trend bandwagon of putting feathers on primitive, non-coelurosaurians we have no evidence for. I have been seeing that alot in artwork of all the "-lophosauri"

Blade-of-the-Moon

I'll probably pick this one up.

Carnoking

I'm waiting to see it cast and painted up but this feels like another offering I would have been all over 4 or 5 years but have a harder time getting excited about now. Maybe I've grown accustomed to the avian style reconstructions that have taken hold as of late but this just smacks of an "awesome bro" design what with the dangling teeth, lack of lips, iguana spines, and prominent feature scales. Not that there's anything inherently wrong with a more stylized take, I certainly think it looks pretty cool for what it is, but after so many restrained (for want of a better term) takes on herbivores as of late, this feels aesthetically removed from what they've been doing.
Just my thoughts, glad others are excited for it.

Gwangi

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on July 13, 2023, 11:10:01 PM
Quote from: thedeadlymoose on July 13, 2023, 10:49:32 PMOh man. Really wishing for feathers, but this Dilo looks so good even without them.
Personally I am happy they did not go on the trend bandwagon of putting feathers on primitive, non-coelurosaurians we have no evidence for. I have been seeing that alot in artwork of all the "-lophosauri"

Because it is a primative non-coelurosaurian I can take or leave the feathers, but I wouldn't say there's no evidence of them. There's a good argument to be made that feathers were primitive to all dinosauria, or ornithodira, maybe even older still.

One thing I'm happy about is that it's not half-feathered like the Beasts of the Mesozoic Dilophosaurus. If they were to feather it I would rather it look something like this...

stargatedalek

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on July 13, 2023, 11:10:01 PM
There are several direct sources of evidence for feathers in early theropods broadly, but not Dilophosaurus specifically.

Feathers share common attributes with the integument of pterosaurs and ornithopods, to the point I would argue pycnofibres are best thought of as very simple feathers. There are also genetic markers related to feathers in crocodilians, meaning crocodilians at one point also had some degree of fluffy covering, prior to their splitting with the ancestors of dinosaurs and pterosaurs.

Feathers are ancestral to ornithodirans as far back as their split with crocodilians, fundamentally. This is not theory, this is proven through genetic evidence.

That being said, while feathers are ancestral to all dinosaurs, many dinosaur groups did loose their feathers. Ceratopsians, Hadrosaurs, and most likely Thyreophorans and Sauropods lost their feathers, and some Tyrannosaurs and Abelisaurs lost feathers across at least the majority of their bodies.

Personally I don't mind featherless Dilophosaurus, as it was a relatively large animal compared to Ceolophysis (which had feathers according to thermodynamic tests in order to safely maintain temperature in some of the places it lived). But I still prefer it feathered. Haolonggood has done a very good job overall with this one judging from the teaser.

Hopefully this isn't too far off topic, but I actually quite like the Cyberzoic Dilophosaurus feathering. Dilophosaurus was plenty large enough to have bald patches for venting heat on the underside, and the bald head and neck are done as display features.

Stegotyranno420

It's good to see a new figurine that is anatomically accurate yet very "awesomebro"

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: