News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

HAOLONGGOOD - New For 2023

Started by vampiredesign, November 28, 2022, 07:00:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roar

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid02SfCgevzH7jhbfA2aRhUukmfhVJeoAL4JXYwfzeoA58CBB42nLFc274pfAQwMVMjnl&id=100066892290400

Look at this!!! LOOK AT IT!! It's my favourite Theropod. Wooow!! It's beautiful!!

Haolongs Dilophosaurus
Onwards to adventure!

thomasw100

Quote from: Roar on September 06, 2023, 09:39:23 AM

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid02SfCgevzH7jhbfA2aRhUukmfhVJeoAL4JXYwfzeoA58CBB42nLFc274pfAQwMVMjnl&id=100066892290400

Look at this!!! LOOK AT IT!! It's my favourite Theropod. Wooow!! It's beautiful!!

Haolongs Dilophosaurus

Lips or no lips this is the question. But indeed this appears to be a beautiful model.

Flaffy

There's very clearly exposed teeth on the Dilophosaurus... :-\

Defeats the purpose of having a closed static mouth then. A shame cus the paint job is absolutely gorgeous.

Roar

Quote from: Flaffy on September 06, 2023, 10:29:22 AMThere's very clearly exposed teeth on the Dilophosaurus... :-\

Defeats the purpose of having a closed static mouth then. A shame cus the paint job is absolutely gorgeous.

Perhaps this is the resin version. According to Paleofiguras. There will be Resin and pvc version. The pvc version was supposed to be with lips.
Onwards to adventure!

TheImmortalEye

Quote from: Roar on September 06, 2023, 10:42:36 AM
Quote from: Flaffy on September 06, 2023, 10:29:22 AMThere's very clearly exposed teeth on the Dilophosaurus... :-\

Perhaps this is the resin version. According to Paleofiguras. There will be Resin and pvc version. The pvc version was supposed to be with lips.

Holy hell , pls tell me pvc has the same paintjob since this is georgeos but resin is too fragile and expensive to me ( have kids so the risk of damage)

ceratopsian

Bread

If the colorscheme is anything like this in the PVC version (or this is the pvc version) I don't mind lack of lips. This is a splendid paint job! This is exactly what I want on my shelf!

SidB

Quote from: Bread on September 06, 2023, 12:04:07 PMIf the colorscheme is anything like this in the PVC version (or this is the pvc version) I don't mind lack of lips. This is a splendid paint job! This is exactly what I want on my shelf!
I'm noticing that various collectors are making statements like this- that the lack of lips isn't the end of the world as we know it, so to speak. This is a highly realistic  approach to collecting. Plus, since most theropods whose dental retention rates have been assessed (Magungasaurus, Allosaurus, Ceratosaurus) have tooth retention of 100 days or less. Also, slashers (compared to grab and ripper) might well have found full lips an impedence in flesh-harvesting. I still favor lips, but am open to the possibility that some genera were less likely to have needed them. I try not to be too doctrinal with uncertainties. Remember the feather T-rex fiasco where a few individuals actively derided anyone who held traditional non-feathered perspective. Look how that's turned out.

Leyster

Quote from: SidB on September 06, 2023, 02:58:58 PMAlso, slashers (compared to grab and ripper) might well have found full lips an impedence in flesh-harvesting.
A reminder that this is the animal whose teeth most theropods' resemble.
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

Lynx

I couldn't care less for a lack of lips for this Dilo, it is presented properly without the roots of the teeth sticking out unlike a certain company, and overall everything else makes up for this trait.
An oversized house cat.

SidB

Quote from: Leyster on September 06, 2023, 03:15:16 PM
Quote from: SidB on September 06, 2023, 02:58:58 PMAlso, slashers (compared to grab and ripper) might well have found full lips an impedence in flesh-harvesting.
A reminder that this is the animal whose teeth most theropods' resemble.

I also favor lips, but am not thoroughly convinced by that type of argument since it only indicates and does not prove. I remain open to liplessness in non tyrannosaurids as a 'minority report'.

Lynx

Putting papers and studies aside, I think it'd be fairly easy to realize that if every land animal ever discovered has lips if it has teeth, then so do animals that died out. While you could argue the closest ancestor (crocodiles and their relatives) lack lips, they are not land animals, and logically do not need them.

On other members comments, I highly, HIGHLY doubt its just tyrannosaurids. Why would it be? Maybe I misread, though.
An oversized house cat.

suspsy

If tyrannosaurs had lips, then so would  all other Mesozoic theropods. An Allosaurus or a Torvosaurus or a Rajasaurus found with preserved lips would be the proverbial nail in the no lips coffin as much as a Tyrannosaurus rex would.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Blade-of-the-Moon

Very nice!

Lips or no lips I'm good. 

Faelrin

I tried to give folks the heads up the sculpt didn't have lips, and did have exposed teeth a few posts back. Not surprised the final figure also doesn't. A bit of a shame, but the paint job on the other hand is so stunning, and helps make it easier to overlook that. The teeth are also tiny and probably wouldn't stand out from a distance anyways, unlike on other figures (like PNSO's for example).

Though I did see the post above with Paleofiguras info. Will have to wait and see how that turns out.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Takama

Quote from: vampiredesign on September 04, 2023, 09:09:58 AMLips are too challenging, and achieving production in terms of size is very challenging. In fact, the model design of this product was already completed in March. I have been solving several problems, including lips, teeth, mouth, chin, standing (not soft).
I don't know how to say or translate many professional production process terms in English.
Many also involve cost issues, and often try to control and lower costs as much as possible, so that products can be cheaper. But we have indeed achieved the ultimate in this, as the costs of raw materials and labor are increasing, and taxes, certification and other expenses are all piling up. Especially for the cost of molds, dinosaur models require relatively high accuracy, and even we need 2 sets of molds for a product.
So, we will continue to work hard and have new products every month. There will be more excellent products in the future.

Honestly. Im all for consistansiy in your collection.

If your not going for lips. Thats fine by me.

If but please dont get rid of jaw articulation unless said model is too small (example Dilophosurus) 

Other wise i would need to requst you fixate the jaws on all previous realeases.

Just my 2 cents

Sim

If the Dilophosaurus figure doesn't have lips, I hope it has an articulated jaw.

SenSx

Ok so probably no lips for the PVC version of the Dilophosaurus.
The Megaraptorian won't either I guess.

Stegotyranno420

What a twist Pnso has lips and HLG doesnt.
Was hoping for open mouth or articulation.
But however it is, I must say the Eastern sculptors are invariably talented in this art of sculpture, as they have been since civilization began, and its beautiful to see them continue

Fembrogon

A bigger concern than lips, for me, is whether or not the skull reflects the robustness of the 2020 reconstruction. right now it's hard to tell, but I'm not sure it does.
The sculpt and paint job are looking fabulous otherwise, however. This could very well be one of the best Dilos on the market upon release.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: