News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd: New for 2023

Started by Renecito, January 23, 2023, 03:00:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Concavenator

Fantastic news! I love the CollectA one, but its size is prohibitive. Glad Safari came to the rescue, because this taxon interests me.

See HLG? Small animals can be made into figures too, and it's fine.  :)

Quote from: Halichoeres on July 22, 2023, 01:28:46 PM
Quote from: bmathison1972 on July 21, 2023, 12:26:30 AMI don't see that as confirmation. They are asking for suggestions and someone suggested Stegouros. That being said, I would LOVE it if Safari made one. CollectA's was WAY TOO BIG for me.

Besides, would a figure 'suggested' in 2022 be ready for 2023?

Agreed, that doesn't sound like confirmation at all. Wouldn't be the first time Paleofiguras floated a completely unfounded rumor.

Not so unfounded after all!  ;)

Dusty Wren

Oh, I love this little guy! What a cool surprise. I've been wanting a Stegouros, but the CollectA was too big for my shelves. This one's a much better fit.
Check out my customs thread!

Shane

Quote from: Concavenator on August 17, 2023, 05:28:40 PMNot so unfounded after all!  ;)

While some of that leaked list clearly corresponds with items that have been revealed, as I said before anyone who is expecting everything on that list to be announced will be disappointed.

PrimevalRaptor

Lovely pattern on this one, we need more ankylosaurians with less drab colors!

Doug Watson

Quote from: SpartanSquat on August 17, 2023, 03:56:42 PMDoug you did this little fella?

Yes

Quote from: Fembrogon on August 17, 2023, 05:02:13 PMThe toy is listed as 6 inches long, and life estimates for the animal average around 6 feet - so I believe that's 1:12 scale?

Don't forget with the curvature of the spine, the turn of the head and tail the actual scientific measurement of the animal would be longer than 6" straightened out. Having said that if it is 6" long it hasn't shrunk too much from my original and the scale on that worked out to 1:11.34. Depending how picky you are 1:12 isn't that far off.

Gwangi

I'm also one of those people that passed on CollectA's model because of its size so I'm thrilled about this Stegouros. A must have!

Flaffy

So there was some truth the to the rumours afterall! Will gladly welcome Safari's first ever Parankylosaur!

Pros
- Bold colours. Really enjoy the desert theme of this figure. The red Macuahuitl is particularly striking, as I imagine the flattened osteoderms serving a duo-purpose as display structures.
- Small size. Much more reasonable to display compared to the giant CollectA version. I generally prefer my small dinosaurs to be small figures, save for those tiny species that can be done in 1:2 or 1:1 scale.

Cons
- Uniform scales. Would've liked to see more variation in scale size and orientation. With such a small figure, I feel like the sculpt could've benefited from not including individual scales on every region of the body. A wrinkled textured integument akin to the 2019 Stegosaurus would've served to evoke the sense of scale detail.
- Conservative keratin. The fused osteoderms on the distal tail (osteoderms 3 to 7/8) probably wouldn't have left much room, if any, for exposed midline scales as shown in the fossil. I find it much more likely that keratin would've covered the entire surface of this region.

And of course as usual, the in-hand pics in natural lighting looks much more pleasing to the eye.

Faelrin

I didn't notice the red on the tail at first, but now that I have, I can't help but think that it's been stained with the blood of its foes.

Spoiler
I'm being a cheeky man child here of course. It's a wonderfully unique color scheme to see on an ankylosaur, other then like the green Zuul (which might be a paleo meme at this point).
[close]
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Sim

The Safari 2019 Stegosaurus is actually covered in very fine scales.  I like the look of the Safari Stegouros as it is, Doug does scales nicely.  I'm not a fan of wrinkly scale-less skin, generally.

Pliosaurking

What a beautiful reveal!!

Ikessauro

The Stegouros looks nice. will surely get one

ceratopsian

I do already have the massive CollectA and the little resin pair by SenSen. But this is awfully tempting. It's interesting how some new discoveries attract multiple models so quickly!

Blade-of-the-Moon

Very cool. I'm slowly remembering this neat little guy.  lol

Skorpio V.

WOWOW! The red accenting on the tail gives it the perfect pop. Something about the pose and proportions give this model so much character and realism. The larger scale-work is a lot cleaner and polished compared to the finer texturing on, say, the Baryonyx sculpt which suffered from smudging along the way. As avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy  said, greater variation in the size of the scales would certainly make the model feel more rounded out. I want to note that feet and toes also look less pudgy than some sculpts like the Sauropelta and Ankylosaurus, cool to see minor improvements that were never really touched upon but still made (even though i kinda adore them phat toez).
On and off dinosaur collecting phases over the span of millions of years has led me to this very forum.

Shane

Quote from: ceratopsian on August 17, 2023, 09:51:05 PMI do already have the massive CollectA and the little resin pair by SenSen. But this is awfully tempting. It's interesting how some new discoveries attract multiple models so quickly!

As I touched on a bit a while back, this figure has the holy trinity of what makes it attractive for figure purposes:

1) a new discovery
2) relatively complete remains (ie. not just a single tooth or jawbone)
3) an interesting and unique feature that separates it from most other dinos

Newt

That Stegouros is a charmer. Will order once I have some loose funds.

ItsTwentyBelow

This is great! I love that Stegouros. I own the wonderful 3D printed (but unpainted) sculpts of this animal, sold by Kayakasaurus on Etsy, in both 1:40 and 1:20 scale. I think I will definitely add this Safari version to my collection too! I agree the CollectA version is too big.

However it feels like the wash on Mr. Watson's sculpt brings out the scales just a tad too much and makes the figure look super bumpy and way too textured, especially when compared to Kayakasaurus's superb sculpt of Stegouros.

suspsy

I find it puzzling how so many people are raving about how the Safari Stegouros' size. Yes, it's a good deal smaller than the CollectA version, but it's still far too big to be in scale with any of the ankylosaurs from Safari, CollectA, PNSO, or any other company. The real Stegouros was only about as tall as a grown man's knee. This toy is around the same size as the Safari Zuul or the Battat Euoplocephalus.

Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Jose S.M.

In my case is because while I don't particularly collect based on scale, I prefer that an animal that was the size of a large dog is not larger than my Triceratops.

Gwangi

Quote from: Jose S.M. on August 19, 2023, 07:37:13 PMIn my case is because while I don't particularly collect based on scale, I prefer that an animal that was the size of a large dog is not larger than my Triceratops.

Yup, that's how I feel too.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: