News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO : New for 2023

Started by Renecito, February 08, 2023, 12:00:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

postsaurischian

:o  What a beautiful sauropod figure!
     I knew PNSO would come back magnificently with non-theropod figures ^-^ .

marisaura

alamosaurus is one of my favorite sauropods, and this looks like a drop-dead gorgeous figure to boot. going straight to the top of the wishlist!

Pliosaurking

This looks fantastic, although I'd have preferred it in 1:35 scale. I may still get it just because it looks so good!

Gwangi

The Alamosaurus looks great but I think I'll wait and see if Haolonggood releases one too.

SidB

Quote from: Gwangi on November 05, 2023, 10:50:41 PMThe Alamosaurus looks great but I think I'll wait and see if Haolonggood releases one too.
Leaning in this direction too, but won't do so indefinitely. I'll find out how patient I am.

SidB

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on November 05, 2023, 03:52:29 PMI'm still good if HLG is an Alamosaurus, it's bound to be bigger than PNSO at any rate?
They claim 35 cm tall.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: SidB on November 06, 2023, 01:53:51 AM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on November 05, 2023, 03:52:29 PMI'm still good if HLG is an Alamosaurus, it's bound to be bigger than PNSO at any rate?
They claim 35 cm tall.

Well that's a bit bigger anyway.  Maybe they will go well together as a pair?

Bread

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on November 06, 2023, 02:16:24 AM
They claim 35 cm tall.

Funny enough Haolonggood claimed it to be 38 cm.

My issue is space already for this PNSO version, so I am curious to see if I can really fit this one already...

thomasw100

Quote from: Flaffy on November 05, 2023, 04:01:29 PM
Quote from: thomasw100 on November 05, 2023, 03:52:04 PM
Quote from: Flaffy on November 05, 2023, 03:38:18 PM
Quote from: Carnoking on November 05, 2023, 01:52:35 PMScale be darned, that's a real beauty. Gonna have to wait to see how it compares to HAOLONGGOOD's if the rumors are true
Quote from: Samrukia on November 05, 2023, 12:20:28 PMnow i hope Haolonggood's upcoming model is not Alamosaurus

Haolonggood's got some tough competition for sure. Would be helpful if the HLG titanosaur was Argentinosaurus instead.

I would not mind if Haolonggood would now come up with an Alamosaurus in true 1:35 scale. So far I do not have a decent Alamosaurus model and I would like my models to be at least reasonably at the same scale. So of course there is some room for variation, but this PNSO Alamosaurus is clearly way too small for 1:35. Going with the estimate of 26 m from the Eofauna book this would be about 1:55.

Depends on which specimen you're using. While PNSO's clearly not a record breaking individual, specimens like USNM 15560 point to a more conservative size range for the species. PNSO's model fits comfortably inbetween the gigantic BIBE and considerably smaller USNM.

Good point. Could USNM 15560 and the other smaller individual potentially be juvenile or subadult individuals? If this would be the case, then indeed we could end up with a nice pair. The larger model from Haolonggood would be the large adult and the PNSO model then a younger individual.

thomasw100

Quote from: postsaurischian on November 05, 2023, 07:37:14 PM:o  What a beautiful sauropod figure!
     I knew PNSO would come back magnificently with non-theropod figures ^-^ .

I also thought that PNSO would be able to make splendid non-theropod figures. This is why for me as a herbivore only (with very few exceptions) collector it was so frustrating to go through 15 months of drought with just carnivore theropod after theropod coming out. OK the spell is broken now and they seem to be back to producing more diversity.

Odobenocetops

Hi!
I'm not a dino expert and I've not follow throguh the discussion on the thumb nail here...
I just wonder, do the Eofauna Altasaurus and Diplodocus have this right?

These are my sauropods representatives.

Paleoclapas

Good sauropod figures are so rare! This one is superb! The pseudo beak and the visible teeth don't bother me that much. The presence of a pseudo beak in titanosaurs has been suggested from the bony ornamentation of the end of the snout in Tapuiasaurus and Nemegtosaurus. Concerning the thumb claw, if it did not exist in Alamosaurus, it can always be removed by cutting or filing it. Then a little touch-up of paint to hide the visible resin at the location of the cut claw.

However, concerning the titanosaur figures, I find it a shame that manufacturers never directly offer the species known both by the skull and the postcranial skeleton (such as Rapetosaurus, Tapuiasaurus, and possibly Nemegtosaurus (if we accept that Nemegtosaurus and Opisthocoelicaudia are congeneric) rather than to offer fragmentary species (reconstructed with parts from several species) that look cool just because they are giant species (Patagotitan is quite complete but the skull is missing).

Rapetosaurus, Tapuiasaurus and Nemegtosaurus are known since many years already. There are other specimens of titanosaurs whose skull and postcranial skeleton are known and have been described recently (Diamantinasaurus and the square-jawed titanosaur Inawentu described a few days ago) or which will be described soon (a new specimen of Ampelosaurus discovered in 2001 and a second titanosaur from Rincon de los Sauces (where Inawentu comes from) discovered in 1996 known by the skull, the entire vetebral column and a forelimb) which could be the subject of a figurine in the future. I did not cite Malawisaurus because only 40% of the skull is known and the reconstruction proposed so far is subject to doubt. Ampelosaurus has just been the subject of a figurine by Haolonggood which may be obsolete after the publication of the new specimen.

Flaffy

Quote from: thomasw100 on November 06, 2023, 06:22:02 AM
Quote from: Flaffy on November 05, 2023, 04:01:29 PMDepends on which specimen you're using. While PNSO's clearly not a record breaking individual, specimens like USNM 15560 point to a more conservative size range for the species. PNSO's model fits comfortably inbetween the gigantic BIBE and considerably smaller USNM.

Good point. Could USNM 15560 and the other smaller individual potentially be juvenile or subadult individuals? If this would be the case, then indeed we could end up with a nice pair. The larger model from Haolonggood would be the large adult and the PNSO model then a younger individual.

Apparently Alamosaurus had small mature individuals, with giant ones like BIBE being the outliers. So it's possible that USNM represents the average adult specimen, similarly it's also possible it represents a subadult instead. Point is though, the PNSO one is a good size for an "average" adult Alamosaurus.

Flaffy

Quote from: Kangaroa on November 06, 2023, 08:32:42 AMHi!
I'm not a dino expert and I've not follow throguh the discussion on the thumb nail here...

Yes. The current evidence only points to derived titanosaurs loosing their thumb claws. All other sauropod families retained their phalanges in some form or another.

SidB

Quote from: Bread on November 06, 2023, 02:19:53 AM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on November 06, 2023, 02:16:24 AM
They claim 35 cm tall.

Funny enough Haolonggood claimed it to be 38 cm.

My issue is space already for this PNSO version, so I am curious to see if I can really fit this one already...
Right enough, it is 38 cm - all the better. PNSO's would have to be amazingly better for me to get it as the first purchase, with that size differential. Later, as a smaller adult, sure, that's an option. I definitely want to gather more info though, before making a move.

thomasw100

Quote from: Flaffy on November 06, 2023, 10:47:06 AM
Quote from: Kangaroa on November 06, 2023, 08:32:42 AMHi!

Yes. The current evidence only points to derived titanosaurs loosing their thumb claws. All other sauropod families retained their phalanges in some form or another.

The question would be when exactly they lost the thumb claws. We know that earlier macronarians like Brachiosaurus still had them and then evolved titanosaurs had lost them. So was this a slow and gradual process with the thumb claw degenerating and reducing in size over time? The problem seems that many titanosaur species are incompletely preserved and in particular the hand and feet bones are often missing.

Quiversaurus

Quote from: Flaffy on November 06, 2023, 10:44:03 AM
Quote from: thomasw100 on November 06, 2023, 06:22:02 AM
Quote from: Flaffy on November 05, 2023, 04:01:29 PMDepends on which specimen you're using. While PNSO's clearly not a record breaking individual, specimens like USNM 15560 point to a more conservative size range for the species. PNSO's model fits comfortably inbetween the gigantic BIBE and considerably smaller USNM.

Apparently Alamosaurus had small mature individuals, with giant ones like BINE being the outliers. So it's possible that USNM represents the average adult specimen, similarly it's also possible it represents a subadult instead. Point is though, the PNSO one is a good size for an "average" adult Alamosaurus.

I'm inclined towards this position myself. Just because a model isn't based on the largest specimen doesn't necessarily mean it's subadult. Just like how we have humans who range from 153cm tall to 180cm tall...

thomasw100

One issue with the size comparisons that we are currently discussing right now is that we refer to standing height and standing length (i.e. vertical height and horizontal length). This of course very much depends on the pose of the dinosaur, mainly the angle of the neck (and partly the angle of the tail, but this is not so significant). I notice that in the images that show different reconstructed museum specimens of Alamosaurus the angle of the neck is much flatter than that angle in the PNSO model. So the individual represented by the PNSO model comes out higher but shorter than an individual with the proportions shown in the museum specimen comparison would come out for the same length measured along the spine. So we would really need to start comparing the true length measured from the tip of the snout to the tip of the tail. The same holds of course for the Haolonggood model. As long as we do not know the true length, the height of 38 cm quoted on social media is not so meaningful.

dragon53

When is the Alamosaurus going to be released?

Blade-of-the-Moon

If HLG's Alamo wasn't bigger overall I'm thinking they wouldn't have been so cocky about it being larger? Just my inference. Probably I'll get both of them in the end.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: