News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

SidB's Collection Thread

Started by SidB, March 17, 2023, 08:29:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ceratopsian

I've never been able to keep my Fukuiraptor standing for more than a few days at a time. Yours looks much better behaved!

SidB

Quote from: ceratopsian on September 02, 2023, 06:53:30 PMI've never been able to keep my Fukuiraptor standing for more than a few days at a time. Yours looks much better behaved!
Maybe I should arrange for her to give a pep talk to yours to get him to behave. After all, you're supplying him room and board - he needs to display a bit of gratitude and loyalty. That's what I'd say! Unless, of course, he's been hit with "the curse of the theropods". Then I'd be dumbfounded.

ceratopsian

Mines just just lazy and wants to lie down!

SidB

2016 was a landmark one for Favorite as they released five unique boxed sets of "dueling dinos", offering some unique genera that contrasted and still do so with their very conservative range of dinosaurs. Unfortunately these were only available, as far as I know, through the Fukui Prefectural Division Museum. I got mine through an eBay seller over five years ago. I don't even recollect his name. Here they are:

Yutyrannus pair, a tribute to the famous "Leaping Laelaps " of Charles Knight.

Guanlong vs. Yinlong

Coelophysis vs. Redondasaurus

Zhuchentyrannus vs. Sinoceratops

Bistahieversor vs. Pentaceratops

ceratopsian

I remember the excitement when I got hold of these pairs through Brett.  The Yutyrannus pair is so memorable - it never coalesces in my mind with anything else I own.

SidB

Quote from: ceratopsian on September 05, 2023, 08:59:41 AMI remember the excitement when I got hold of these pairs through Brett.  The Yutyrannus pair is so memorable - it never coalesces in my mind with anything else I own.
Yes, avatar_ceratopsian @ceratopsian , it's a wonderful piece, close to , if not my most appreciated one from them.
One thing upon which I didn't remark was the extreme 'contrariness' of the interaction between the theropod legs and their bases. All of them. It's virtually impossible to get any of them to stand up and remain uoright without immediately or soon afterwards toppling off of said bases. Lovely figures, but Favorite really dropped the ball in this aspect with these figures. So far I've resisted the urge to simply glue the theropod figures to their bases.

ceratopsian

It's funny how random base/standing issues can be.  They are all OK for me.   But I keep wondering about gluing my Fukuiraptor!

Quote from: SidB on September 05, 2023, 12:33:58 PM
Quote from: ceratopsian on September 05, 2023, 08:59:41 AMI remember the excitement when I got hold of these pairs through Brett.  The Yutyrannus pair is so memorable - it never coalesces in my mind with anything else I own.
Yes, avatar_ceratopsian @ceratopsian , it's a wonderful piece, close to , if not my most appreciated one from them.
One thing upon which I didn't remark was the extreme 'contrariness' of the interaction between the theropod legs and their bases. All of them. It's virtually impossible to get any of them to stand up and remain uoright without immediately or soon afterwards toppling off of said bases. Lovely figures, but Favorite really dropped the ball in this aspect with these figures. So far I've resisted the urge to simply glue the theropod figures to their bases.

SidB

Maybe I acquired a later batch than yours, avatar_ceratopsian @ceratopsian , when the molds had degraded somewhat or maybe the heat had gotten to mine in storage before I got them. In any case, I'm glad that yours are perfect in this regard.

SidB

2017 was a pretty quiet year for my purchases from Favorite. First of al there were the two soft model selections available: the swimming Spinosaurus and the Archaeopteryx -

Favorite released quite a few "minis" as far as I know, though I just picked up one, the Protoceratops and Velociraptor fighting duo, which is an excellent match for the five boxed fighting dino duo sets of 2016.

Fembrogon

I think Favorite has been having problems with their figure's bases since they STARTED the wave 2 line - my Allosaurus (now in storage) had a tendency to lean and fall too. My Fukuiraptor and Giganotosaurus have similar problems today.
Those 2016 sets are beautiful all the same, though. The Yutyrannus pair is quite a unique display, and the Coelophysis/Redondosaurus set is a true novelty pair of genera!

I'm rather fond of the two 2017 figures as well; they're worthwhile releases, especially the Archaeopteryx. The Spino was quite good at the time.

SidB

Quote from: Fembrogon on September 07, 2023, 02:14:40 AMI think Favorite has been having problems with their figure's bases since they STARTED the wave 2 line - my Allosaurus (now in storage) had a tendency to lean and fall too. My Fukuiraptor and Giganotosaurus have similar problems today.
Those 2016 sets are beautiful all the same, though. The Yutyrannus pair is quite a unique display, and the Coelophysis/Redondosaurus set is a true novelty pair of genera!

I'm rather fond of the two 2017 figures as well; they're worthwhile releases, especially the Archaeopteryx. The Spino was quite good at the time.
I'm not exactly sure where to place the peak of Favorite on the market (it never was going to compete with the likes of Safari, Schleich, Papo et al), but those two years are as good as any to consider as their zenith. They've gradually declined in presence and creativity since then, IMO, even though they remain quite capable of producing some fine work (examples to follow for 2018).

TooOldForDinosaurs

Quote from: SidB on September 07, 2023, 01:03:30 AM2017 was a pretty quiet year for my purchases from Favorite. First of al there were the two soft model selections available: the swimming Spinosaurus and the Archaeopteryx -

Favorite released quite a few "minis" as far as I know, though I just picked up one, the Protoceratops and Velociraptor fighting duo, which is an excellent match for the five boxed fighting dino duo sets of 2016.

Wow these are fabulous!  :o

SidB

Check out the 2016 Museum exclusives, avatar_TooOldForDinosaurs @TooOldForDinosaurs. When I posted them, I had your request in mind.

SidB

As an example of that capability to produce excellent products, consider these two stellar figures from 2018. Hardly a massive  output, but quality:

Neovenator. A bit garish, but boy does it stand out on a shelf!

Their Baryonyx

In comparison with Safari's Doug Watson-sculpted Baryonyx, against which it matches really well, though the skull has the shrink-wrapping typical of Araki's work.

TooOldForDinosaurs

Quote from: SidB on September 05, 2023, 03:07:22 AM

Love these too. Especially the Yutyranni and the Redondasaurus! So many great figures I've never seen before  :))

SidB

Well, to add a certain perspective to the group, Brett posted am offer on August 26 for all five boxed sets, with bidding starting at 1000 dollars!

thomasw100

Quote from: SidB on September 08, 2023, 12:40:29 PMWell, to add a certain perspective to the group, Brett posted am offer on August 26 for all five boxed sets, with bidding starting at 1000 dollars!

What? For this price I can get almost two large top quality resin models from MuSee studio or similar. And these are made in very small quantities.

SidB

Quote from: thomasw100 on September 08, 2023, 01:04:58 PM
Quote from: SidB on September 08, 2023, 12:40:29 PMWell, to add a certain perspective to the group, Brett posted am offer on August 26 for all five boxed sets, with bidding starting at 1000 dollars!

What? For this price I can get almost two large top quality resin models from MuSee studio or similar. And these are made in very small quantities.
The same two drivers are usually at work in any perspective purchaser, I suppose - nostalgia or, more likely, completionism. The hobby can get VERY expensive for us when we indulge these impulses, right?!

ceratopsian

That is a massive rise from when they came out.  It rather confirms my feeling that it is always better to order things when they appear if they come from a company that came be more difficult to source. (And while I like my sets, I don't like them $1,000 worth!)

SidB

Quote from: ceratopsian on September 08, 2023, 01:49:29 PMThat is a massive rise from when they came out.  It rather confirms my feeling that it is always better to order things when they appear if they come from a company that came be more difficult to source. (And while I like my sets, I don't like them $1,000 worth!)

A very sensible approach, avatar_ceratopsian @ceratopsian , certainly cost and availability-wise, as we know from experience, but also from the perspective of quality of paint applications too, as we've repeatedly seen.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: