News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

GODZILLA: MINUS ONE

Started by GojiraGuy1954, July 11, 2023, 07:59:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Over9K

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 06, 2023, 03:45:48 AMI'm glad it made it to #1 in the U.S. that's some goal for a 15 million dollar film from Japan and all that entails. Might teach U.S. film makers a few things and show Toho we would like a new Godzilla film more than once a decade.

I'm really hoping what Toho has learned over the past five years is to give Godzilla to an auteur director. Both Hideki Anno and Takashi Yamazaki have shown that the Kaiju genre, the Godzilla franchise and the audience are all prime for the stories to have real weight, real emotion.

Let Legendary make the Marvel-esque spectacle films.

Primeval12

Excellent movie! I really loved it. AND THOSE HUMAN CHARACTERS!!!! I actually liked them a lot. A Godilla movie with characters I cared about?! WHAATTT? I loved it.

Fembrogon

Godzilla has a better history of good human characters than the stereotypes (and certain film entries) might lead one to believe, but I concur that Minus One is one of the best examples to date.
That said, I also sympathize with some reviews that a few of the characters, like Noriko, could have benefited from a little more focus. This story is very much Shikishima's, at the expense of sidelining the others from time to time.

dragon53

GODZILLA MINUS ONE---the premiere drew $11 million for the weekend which set a record for a live-action Japanese movie in the US. By comparison, SHIN GODZILLA earned only $1.9 million in its entire US run in 2016. Because of its box office success, Toho has extended GODZILLA MINUS ONE's limited run from December 7 to December 14.

Carnoking

That's a pretty notable disparity, especially in this post-pandemic movie going landscape. I wonder if all the recent monsterverse releases have spurred some additional interest?

Regardless, very encouraging news and well earned! Hope lots more people check this out!

Over9K

Quote from: Carnoking on December 07, 2023, 07:36:06 PMThat's a pretty notable disparity, especially in this post-pandemic movie going landscape. I wonder if all the recent monsterverse releases have spurred some additional interest?

Regardless, very encouraging news and well earned! Hope lots more people check this out!

My theory is that Shin Godzilla was just a really really good Godzilla movie, whereas Minus One is just a really, really good movie, that happens to feature Godzilla.

It's a small distinction, but I think the fact that you could remove Godzilla from the film, and still have a moving, emotional character-driven story of survival, finding one's place and one's people, and the nature of love and family allows Minus One to completely transcend the Kaiju genre and potentially reach mainstream audiences in a way no previous Kaiju film ever has.

We may have to accept that, to be truly loved by the masses, a Godzilla movie can't really be one.

Fembrogon

Minus One is definitely a "crowd-pleaser" movie in way Shin Godzilla wasn't and didn't try to be, so it's much more accessible of a story. Both films are great, but Minus One is a movie I feel confident recommending to many people, while Shin Godzilla might need some prefaces to it.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Fembrogon on December 07, 2023, 06:47:50 AMGodzilla has a better history of good human characters than the stereotypes (and certain film entries) might lead one to believe, but I concur that Minus One is one of the best examples to date.
That said, I also sympathize with some reviews that a few of the characters, like Noriko, could have benefited from a little more focus. This story is very much Shikishima's, at the expense of sidelining the others from time to time.

I think if they do a sequel it might focus on other characters more. As it is I can't see them having had the time to cover more than they did.

Over9K

I'm calling it now...

Oscar Nomination for Best International Feature.

Over9K

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 08, 2023, 02:41:37 AM
Quote from: Fembrogon on December 07, 2023, 06:47:50 AMGodzilla has a better history of good human characters than the stereotypes (and certain film entries) might lead one to believe, but I concur that Minus One is one of the best examples to date.

I think if they do a sequel it might focus on other characters more. As it is I can't see them having had the time to cover more than they did.

I think that last shot of Noriko tells us she will be central to any direct sequel.  ;)

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Over9K on December 08, 2023, 05:08:41 AM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 08, 2023, 02:41:37 AM

I think that last shot of Noriko tells us she will be central to any direct sequel.  ;)

Aye as I said. This time they just didn't have enough time to show more, but next time, if there is a next time I'm sure.

Carnoking

Quote from: Over9K on December 08, 2023, 05:07:49 AMI'm calling it now...

Oscar Nomination for Best International Feature.

I'd be quite delighted to see this!

Faelrin

Just wanted to say I've gone and saw it again. Brother got some money for us to go see it again. Brought my father this time around, and he loved it. Was so glad he was able to go with us this time. He absolutely loved it, and the characters within. He was born a few years after the first film released, so grew up with the franchise his whole life, and thinks this is easily one of the best made so far.

Anyways it got me thinking about the pre-order I made earlier, and while it won't be out for a long time, I was at least able to see what the S.H. MonsterArts figure was like (the one not available on BBTS). And uh, the first review I've seen of it, yeah that's a bit disappointing to say the least, especially considering the price tag. Like misprinted eyes is a big no-no for most of us Mattel Jurassic collectors, and those prices pale in comparison to what this does. The review makes it very clear it isn't just some unlucky one off either unfortunately. I'm still watching some review on Super7 to gage what their products are like, but the one NYCC Heat Ray one didn't have the best QC I would say. Very cheap plasticy looking, but maybe that's the point, since it is glow-in-the-dark as well, I don't know. Still $80 isn't exactly cheap either (though much less then $140+).

Just really hoping Hiya Toys can do this one, as their recent offerings have been really good from the few reviews I've seen.

Edit: So apparently they are also doing one from the beginning of the film. Wonder if the other brands will too. Also I guess Super7 might not totally bad if it is bigger, and cheaper ultimately. I mean I want my Godzilla to be big is what I'm saying. Also I'm curious, does anyone know if there's any options out there that might be 1/35 scale?
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

TheCambrianCrusader

Saw the movie last week and it was phenomenal! I'm having a super hard time choosing a favorite between -1, Shin, and the og.
avatar_Carnoking @Carnoking you're probably right, I know a few friends that weren't interested in Godzilla or kaiju stuff at all until Godzilla vs Kong came out along with all of its memes.
avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin I've given up on sh monsterarts a while ago the price is just way too high for the quality control. Holding out for a hiya figure might be the best bet.

Fembrogon

avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin, to my knowledge, that Bandai "figure B" is the only one of that character on the market currently.
And may I clarify what you mean by 1/35 scale? Godzilla's usually a bit big for that. Bandai vinyls and S.H. Monsterarts tend to average on the "6-inch" scale, while Super7 seems to be going for 8-inch and Hiya more like 7-inch.
I've seen photos suggesting the newer/upcoming Super7 Ultimates kaiju are getting better at the QC and articulation, thankfully, so maybe their -1 figure will earn its price tag after all. I'd still rather wait for Hiya, though.

Faelrin

avatar_Fembrogon @Fembrogon Like something in scale with the 1/35 scale dinosaur figures we collect around these parts, but uh yeah, now that I think about it quite a bit more, yeah Godzilla might still be excessively big even at that scale, lol, and probably way out of my budget, especially considering how big and expensive some of the recent 1/35 titanosaurs have been (not counting Mattel's 1/18 scale sauropods however). Still curious if something like that exists out there, like how big would it be? That kind of thing. Though yeah there's also the different incarnations that have different sizes, some way bigger then others, so it isn't something that's across the board.

I'm just glad the BBTS Super7 pre-order has late 2024 as the release date. Hopefully plenty of time to see if Hiya will do one or not. Hopefully also enough time to see reviews and if it will be worth dropping that much. I mean for that price I could easily go for another BotM (or upcoming Cyberzoic) to add to my collection.

I also hope the QC on that particular design is a bit better, especially if they are the only ones to do it. If it happens to be in the same 6 inch size range as this current figure, then it might look a bit nicer alongside the somewhat larger Super7 one (though not exactly to scale, but possibly the best one can do with). Far too early to know if I'd end up being interested in it though, considering their recent offerings prices.

Edit: Found more info on it. Not a SHMA figure after all, so should be much cheaper.
https://www.kaijubattle.net/godzillatoho-toys/bandai-movie-monster-series-godzilla-minus-one-wu-erra-figure

Here's the JP website's product page for this guy:

https://godzilla.store/shop/g/gGSG0680104/

About a few inches shorter then the Super7 figure. I'm curious to know what the actual sizes of the two designs in the film are intended to be though.

Edit 2: Hobby link Japan has it as well: https://www.hlj.com/movie-monster-series-godzilla-2023-bant107961

Blade-of-the-Moon

You can order the Odo Island /Godzillasaurus version here : https://beastoftheeastcollectibles.com/shop/ols/products/bandai-movie-monster-a

It's a preorder/10% down. great deal.

Fembrogon

I want to say Odo Island Goji looked like it was around the size of an extra-large theropod, bordering on sauropod;
Spoiler
when he's biting and throwing people his skull looked at least as long as the men were tall, so I'd guess a 2-3 meter skull and a length of 20+ meters.
[close]

Typically, Godzilla's full height post-mutation starts (STARTS) at 50 meters or so, and I've seen an estimate for Minus-Goji at 55-60 meters. A 1/35 Godzilla would have to be at least a meter & a half tall.

There are a few toys/kits for previous Gojis that have attempted such, from Jakks Pacific, X-Plus, and others; but none quite that big to my knowledge.
Except this one maybe.

Faelrin

avatar_Fembrogon @Fembrogon Thanks for going through the trouble of that. It really helps to show the massive size disparity there is, even if in that scale. Like it would be bigger then me, lol. Makes sense much smaller scales are preferrred, or not really a scale per se, but just a set figure size.

avatar_Blade-of-the-Moon @Blade-of-the-Moon Thanks for the link. Unfortunately I have to wait at least until Rebor's dire wolf ships out before I make a move on this one.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Fembrogon on December 14, 2023, 06:56:05 AMI want to say Odo Island Goji looked like it was around the size of an extra-large theropod, bordering on sauropod;
Spoiler
when he's biting and throwing people his skull looked at least as long as the men were tall, so I'd guess a 2-3 meter skull and a length of 20+ meters.
[close]

Typically, Godzilla's full height post-mutation starts (STARTS) at 50 meters or so, and I've seen an estimate for Minus-Goji at 55-60 meters. A 1/35 Godzilla would have to be at least a meter & a half tall.

There are a few toys/kits for previous Gojis that have attempted such, from Jakks Pacific, X-Plus, and others; but none quite that big to my knowledge.
Except this one maybe.

The Godzillasaur looked pretty close to big theropod maybe like a JP/LW Spino or Rex?

That 6' Goji is insane..I would love that but that's WAY more than I'd ever spend on it. I can get a OMS 9' one for 25k lol Not that I can swing that either.

I did get my Bandai last night, this will hold me over until XPlus, Spiral or someone gets a Gigantic version out.

Nice detail overall for a Bandai. Teeth are pointy and the eyes aren't wonky lol It's hard to get pics with my phone but there are lots of good reviews up online.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: