News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

GODZILLA: MINUS ONE

Started by GojiraGuy1954, July 11, 2023, 07:59:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Faelrin on December 14, 2023, 03:12:31 PMavatar_Fembrogon @Fembrogon Thanks for going through the trouble of that. It really helps to show the massive size disparity there is, even if in that scale. Like it would be bigger then me, lol. Makes sense much smaller scales are preferrred, or not really a scale per se, but just a set figure size.

avatar_Blade-of-the-Moon @Blade-of-the-Moon Thanks for the link. Unfortunately I have to wait at least until Rebor's dire wolf ships out before I make a move on this one.

Totally understand, I haven't yet had any confirmation of stock or shipping on the Dire Wolf. You can preorder it though for 10% down, so around 5.00 ? if that helps.

Faelrin

avatar_Blade-of-the-Moon @Blade-of-the-Moon On Rebor's instagram page they said it was shipping in like 2 weeks, so perhaps either the end of this month or next month.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Pliosaurking

I just saw the movie the other day, candidate for my favourite Godzilla movie ever, and definitely one of my favourite designs for him. I'd like to grab the Odo island version figure, as I quite enjoyed that scene and design.

dragon53

Writer/director Takashi Yamazaki commented on if he would like to develop a sequel to GODZILLA MINUS ONE, "I'd like to see someone else's GODZILLA, but I want to make one next time as well. I've got very complicated feelings."

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Faelrin on December 14, 2023, 03:46:48 PMavatar_Blade-of-the-Moon @Blade-of-the-Moon On Rebor's instagram page they said it was shipping in like 2 weeks, so perhaps either the end of this month or next month.

I just saw it today that's not bad I guess, right around Christmas. U.S. retailers are probably more like mid-January?

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: dragon53 on December 14, 2023, 05:02:31 PMWriter/director Takashi Yamazaki commented on if he would like to develop a sequel to GODZILLA MINUS ONE, "I'd like to see someone else's GODZILLA, but I want to make one next time as well. I've got very complicated feelings."

I can understand that.  A new take on Godzilla from someone else would be great. But Minus One was so good they could give another director the chance of directing a sequel to it?

I would like to see a Minus Zero universe with Rodan, Mothra, Angurius, ect..

dragon53

GODZILLA MINUS ONE---the movie has earned $26.7 million which is the most for a Toho GODZILLA movie. Because of its success, the run has been extended again beginning on December 15 and will be released in 2,600 theaters compared to the original 1,000 theaters. GODZILLA MINUS ONE was nominated for the Critics Choice Awards for Best Foreign Language Film.

Carnoking

This is the Top Gun: Maverick of Godzilla movies.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Good time to be a Godzilla fan no doubt.

GojiraGuy1954

Finally seeing this movie tomorrow. Today was release day here, so i'm practically watching as soon as I possibly can without piracy, and over 2 WEEKS after the states get it despite no modifications being needed to be made to the subtitles for showing the film in the UK, a majority english-speaking country. Ridiculous.
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Over9K

Quote from: dragon53 on December 15, 2023, 05:16:06 PMGODZILLA MINUS ONE---the movie has earned $26.7 million which is the most for a Toho GODZILLA movie. Because of its success, the run has been extended again beginning on December 15 and will be released in 2,600 theaters compared to the original 1,000 theaters. GODZILLA MINUS ONE was nominated for the Critics Choice Awards for Best Foreign Language Film.

When it came out, it was only for one week, and then it would be gone. So, I saw it 6 times.

So then they extended it a week. So, I saw it 6 more times.

Then, they extended it all the way to Christmas. 8 more times.

Now, they've more than doubled the number of screens, and extended the run indefinitely.

THANK YOU TOHO.

I can visit the wife at some point between showings this week...

Newt

I watched it last night with the missus. We both enjoyed it quite a bit. She had never seen a Godzilla film prior to this year, when I made her watch the 1954 film (both the original and Americanized versions) and the first sequel. I grew up watching the cheesy 60s-70s films on VHS (I haven't subjected her to those - YET). This one is definitely following in the footsteps of the original. I could nitpick about a few things, but this movie worked as a monster adventure, as a human drama, and as an attempt to grapple with big issues. No mean feat, and accomplished with a budget that couldn't pay for the opening titles of a similarly FX-heavy Hollywood movie.

The trailers for the upcoming Godzilla/Kong movie look like complete trash in comparison. There is no indication that that movie has any of the real weight and depth of Minus Zero, or the giddy fun of the 60s and 70s movies. Just another forgettable spectacle. The Monarch show looks more promising.

Fembrogon

Monarch is solid. Like Minus One, it invests in the human characters first and foremost, with the monsters as the root of conflict to drive the characters forward. Monster screentime is minimal, but very effective.

I'm actually a big fan of the 60s Godzilla films; many of my favorites are from that era. If nothing else, I recommend revisiting Mothra vs Godzilla, which also has a strong cast of grounded charaters to juxtapose with the fantastic kaiju elements.

Faelrin

avatar_Fembrogon @Fembrogon Remember that discussion we had recently? This is still probably too small to be in 1/35 scale per se, but it is another one that comes close to it perhaps. This figure is over 3 feet long. Way outside my budget lol, but just came across it, and I had to mention it.

https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/178383

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Newt on December 16, 2023, 12:46:43 AMI watched it last night with the missus. We both enjoyed it quite a bit. She had never seen a Godzilla film prior to this year, when I made her watch the 1954 film (both the original and Americanized versions) and the first sequel. I grew up watching the cheesy 60s-70s films on VHS (I haven't subjected her to those - YET). This one is definitely following in the footsteps of the original. I could nitpick about a few things, but this movie worked as a monster adventure, as a human drama, and as an attempt to grapple with big issues. No mean feat, and accomplished with a budget that couldn't pay for the opening titles of a similarly FX-heavy Hollywood movie.

The trailers for the upcoming Godzilla/Kong movie look like complete trash in comparison. There is no indication that that movie has any of the real weight and depth of Minus Zero, or the giddy fun of the 60s and 70s movies. Just another forgettable spectacle. The Monarch show looks more promising.

Trailers anymore just throw all this action at you to get attention. There's no slow buildup. Used to be you never showed the creature in a film til the end. Hopefully there is a little something for everyone in the new Legendary film, I do like monster battles that's the icing but you do need some cake in there as well.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Faelrin on December 16, 2023, 02:19:59 AMavatar_Fembrogon @Fembrogon Remember that discussion we had recently? This is still probably too small to be in 1/35 scale per se, but it is another one that comes close to it perhaps. This figure is over 3 feet long. Way outside my budget lol, but just came across it, and I had to mention it.

https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/178383

I ordered this one ages ago from Awesome Collector, it will hopefully be here in a week or so. Just love how massive it is plus the light and sound.

Faelrin

avatar_Blade-of-the-Moon @Blade-of-the-Moon Good to know someone around these parts was able to get one of these. Looking forward to seeing any pics you take of it.

Fembrogon

I think people were starting to doubt that Mezco giant even existed.  :))  I'm glad for everyone who's orders will finally be realized, though.

...And yeah, that's definitely a big figure. I think I see it's listed as 18 inches tall? It's probably about the size of the big Jakks Pacific 2014 figure. You'll either need a strong shelf or a clear floor!

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Faelrin on December 16, 2023, 03:42:51 AMavatar_Blade-of-the-Moon @Blade-of-the-Moon Good to know someone around these parts was able to get one of these. Looking forward to seeing any pics you take of it.

Will do.

Quote from: Fembrogon on December 16, 2023, 04:18:31 AMI think people were starting to doubt that Mezco giant even existed.  :))  I'm glad for everyone who's orders will finally be realized, though.

...And yeah, that's definitely a big figure. I think I see it's listed as 18 inches tall? It's probably about the size of the big Jakks Pacific 2014 figure. You'll either need a strong shelf or a clear floor!

I had almost forgot I ordered it. It's nice one, all the bells and whistles make it better. I've seen a couple reviews for it so far. AC doesn't get stock the fastest but the overall cost is better.  It's a bit smaller than the Jakks at 18" tall if you mean the Jakks Giant Godzilla, it's 24" tall and 36" long. 

Not a huge problem..pardon the pun. I collect Gigantics so this would be a medium size piece for me.  ;)

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: rm0918 on December 02, 2023, 08:10:05 AM
Quote from: Fembrogon on December 02, 2023, 04:32:21 AM
Quote from: rm0918 on December 01, 2023, 09:50:16 PMEmmerich's Godzilla is a direct remake of The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms.  Just like Independence Day is a remake of George Pal's War of the Worlds.
I wish people would stop touting this line. To my knowledge, Devlin & Emmerich have never cited Beast as a reference point for GODZILLA, and there's very little similarity between the two in plot, characters, or monster design/personality. GODZILLA 1998 is just a bad tongue-in-cheek Godzilla movie, nothing else...
I came out of the theater touting that line.  Watch them back to back.  If Emmerich would have named it The Beast from 20.000 Fathoms, it would have been much better received.  The main complaint has always been that it wasn't Godzilla.

It wouldn't have been The Beast from 20.000 Fathoms, either.
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: