News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

GODZILLA: MINUS ONE

Started by GojiraGuy1954, July 11, 2023, 07:59:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Fembrogon on January 12, 2024, 02:47:33 AMI bet the choice was deliberate, but moreso for the sake of the "Godzilla March" motif, with the Kong theme being a byproduct; the version using the Kong piece is a longer suite so it probably suited the length of the sequence better.

I just imagine it with more of a "fight" song I suppose.  It's just going to be a tiny thing that bugs me is all lol

Halichoeres

Quote from: ceratopsian on January 05, 2024, 06:15:51 PMThe only Godzilla film I've ever seen. A friend invited me to go to an afternoon showing today on a free ticket. I found it emotionally draining in a way I didn't expect. I was expecting pure monster movie but it had much more depth than that. I thought its study of despair and survivor guilt was moving. The colour palette was superb: so successful at suggesting the 1940s. And so good at evoking 40s tech. The sets for Tokyo shattered by air raids were also superb. We're mature women and we both cried a bit during the final sea scenes.

I was impressed by many of the same aspects. It really is a good survivor's guilt story.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

dragon53

GODZILLA MINUS ONE/MINUS COLOR---the black and white version will be released in the US theaters for one week only from January 26 to February 1. GODZILLA MINUS ONE has earned $50 million in the US which makes it the highest-grossing Japanese movie and the fifth highest-grossing non-English movie in US history.

Blade-of-the-Moon

That's a pretty narrow window. Idk if any theaters near me will pick it up for that long.

dragon53

Blade-of-the-Moon

【Breaking news: Academy Award "Visual Effect Award" nominations decided】
Godzilla -1.0 Image is of the supervising staff watching the nomination results at the "White Group" office.

Dynomikegojira

Never thought I'd see a Godzilla get an Oscar nom and well deserved too. I really do think Takashi Yamazaki should've gotten a best director as well as sound design but I guess Toho only submitted it for VFX.

Over9K

Visual Effects Nom is a pat on the head.

Best International Picture Nom would have been well deserved, but the Academy cannot honor genre... ever.

Carnoking

Quote from: Over9K on January 23, 2024, 10:43:58 PMVisual Effects Nom is a pat on the head.

Best International Picture Nom would have been well deserved, but the Academy cannot honor genre... ever.

As I understand it, countries are allowed to submit one film for consideration in this category. Who gets to decide which film to submit for a given country, I have no idea, but Japan's submission of Perfect Days received a nomination for Best International Feature.

dragon53

I saw an article which said GODZILLA MINUS ONE used 35 artists to make only 610 VFX shots compared to TOP GUN: MAVERICK which had 2,400 VFX shots.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote'GODZILLA  MINUS ONE' Director Details Godzilla's Mutation
Within a recent interview with HJWeb, 'Godzilla Minus One' Director answered various spotlight questions in regards to Godzilla and film sequel ideas.
Q: "The juvenile's body on Odo Island, had not yet been affected by radiation, right?"
Director Takashi Yamazaki:
"Correct. Godzilla has been affected by radiation since Operation Crossroads in Bikini Atoll, but before that, Godzilla was unaffected by radiation and his regenerative ability was unrelated to radiation.
They[Godzilla's kind] are ordinary creatures, or rather monsters, that have nothing to do with radiation, and have extremely strong regenerative abilities.
However, during Operation Crossroads, his skin was burnt by nuclear weapons and turned into a mess, but when he was regenerating it, he went out of control and became gigantic. [bitter smile]"

Over9K

Quote from: Carnoking on January 23, 2024, 11:14:19 PM
Quote from: Over9K on January 23, 2024, 10:43:58 PMVisual Effects Nom is a pat on the head.

As I understand it, countries are allowed to submit one film for consideration in this category. Who gets to decide which film to submit for a given country, I have no idea, but Japan's submission of Perfect Days received a nomination for Best International Feature.

Just another clear illustration of the artistry-ignoring nature of the Oscars. They're a political game, not in any way an actual celebration of artistry. If it was, there would be no such limitation on International Pictures, and five Japanese films could be nominated, if they're good enough.

As it is, it's a fugazi.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Saw Minus One/Minus Color tonight.  I'm not sure but I think it hit harder in B&W ? I swear I felt myself tearing up more like the lack of color was just adding to the sadness portrayed.   I was reminded of some of the later seasons of the Twilight Zone in regards to the filmography and tone choices.  Some of the plot points that did need color was a bit off like his spines charging but you could still tell they were glowing.  I do hope the future dvd/Bluray release has both versions.

I also had a new thought on the'tumor".

Spoiler
I wonder if people afflicted or exposed to Godzilla would gain his regenerative ability. So Godzilla can't be killed and now neither can his victims. That would make an endless cycle of destruction and healing. 
[close]

dragon53

GODZILLA MINUS ONE---director Takashi Yamazaki commented on a sequel to MINUS ONE, "No, no, there is no such talk at all. But I might be a little sad if someone else is chosen to direct the next Godzilla movie. When someone says, 'This is the person who will direct the next Godzilla,' I think, 'Ah!' And when someone says, 'Please do it,' I think, 'Ah!' (laughs) If I were to direct the next movie, I would like to do a sequel to this one, but since there have been two standalone Godzilla movies in a row, I think the next movie will probably have to include an enemy monster."

Over9K

Quote from: dragon53 on January 30, 2024, 04:19:13 PMGODZILLA MINUS ONE---director Takashi Yamazaki commented on a sequel to MINUS ONE, "No, no, there is no such talk at all. But I might be a little sad if someone else is chosen to direct the next Godzilla movie. When someone says, 'This is the person who will direct the next Godzilla,' I think, 'Ah!' And when someone says, 'Please do it,' I think, 'Ah!' (laughs) If I were to direct the next movie, I would like to do a sequel to this one, but since there have been two standalone Godzilla movies in a row, I think the next movie will probably have to include an enemy monster."

Idiotic Toho Decision in 5... 4... 3...

Fembrogon

There's no reason to believe including another monster automatically makes a Godzilla movie bad - King Kong vs. Godzilla, Mothra vs. Godzilla, Godzilla vs. Biollante, and GMK: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack are just a few clear cases to the contrary. The challenge, as always, is just to make sure both human and monster characters are integrated effectively into the plot together.
Considering those ambiguous visuals at the end of Minus One, there's already plenty of fan-talk about what directions the next film could take with other monsters.

Over9K

Quote from: Fembrogon on January 30, 2024, 09:25:51 PMThere's no reason to believe including another monster automatically makes a Godzilla movie bad - King Kong vs. Godzilla, Mothra vs. Godzilla, Godzilla vs. Biollante, and GMK: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack are just a few clear cases to the contrary. The challenge, as always, is just to make sure both human and monster characters are integrated effectively into the plot together.
Considering those ambiguous visuals at the end of Minus One, there's already plenty of fan-talk about what directions the next film could take with other monsters.

I think what Yamazaki is saying is that he wants to make a sequel to Minus One, without another monster, and Toho is going to want another monster, so they aren't going to want Yamazaki.

I have hope.

Toho wanted a sequel to Shin Godzilla, but Hideki Anno wasn't interested. I'm hoping they will now turn to Yamazaki and allow him the freedom to make his vision for a sequel.

But, I fear he is correct. It has been over 20 YEARS since we saw a traditional Toho King Ghidorah** on screen... just sayin'.

**Kaiser Ghidorah does not count.

Blade-of-the-Moon

I'm having a hard time seeing where this would go. We have the "infection" teaser at the end that could lead to something. But how would it work in the universe really?  I've heard maybe it would allow certain people to communicate with Godzilla. Godzilla wouldn't be alone anymore and might more sympathetic and aid the humans against an enemy encroaching on it's territory?  Very Gamera to me.  I think he needs to stay the vengful god like monster he is but the humans do need some sort of help...Mothra?

Faelrin

avatar_Blade-of-the-Moon @Blade-of-the-Moon My brother also thought the same thing (regarding the ending details).

Spoiler
Both me and my brother were wondering how Noriko survived after pushing Shikishima in the alley during Godzilla's attack on Ginza, and getting blasted away. That was the conclusion he came to.
[close]
Honestly while Ghidorah seems like an obvious choice, I would love to see a reboot of Godzilla Raids Again with a return of Anguirus, if not Rodan as well.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Faelrin on January 31, 2024, 02:35:17 AMavatar_Blade-of-the-Moon @Blade-of-the-Moon My brother also thought the same thing (regarding the ending details).

Spoiler
Both me and my brother were wondering how Noriko survived after pushing Shikishima in the alley during Godzilla's attack on Ginza, and getting blasted away. That was the conclusion he came to.
[close]
Honestly while Ghidorah seems like an obvious choice, I would love to see a reboot of Godzilla Raids Again with a return of Anguirus, if not Rodan as well.

I've already seen some fanart of Noriko that pretty much shows some similar thoughts. At this point I'm not sure it's much of a spoiler but still..

I would love see Anguirus back, he's my 2nd favorite kaiju after Godzilla. I recall he's not as popular in Japan though, that's why they replaced him and Varan in the original GMK Wwith..well Mothra and King Ghidorah. Which were substandard designs..   Rodan had his own movie like Mothra so I think he work well.   In two Toho movies they buried monsters in a volcano, it's curious they didn't consider that with Minus One.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: