News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Mattel - New for 2024

Started by Faelrin, July 21, 2023, 08:27:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faelrin

avatar_Blade-of-the-Moon @Blade-of-the-Moon I share the same thoughts. Actually left a comment on D @Dino Scream3232 review of this figure about the same point.

Back in 2018 it wasn't even certain something like the Brachiosaurus, let alone any of the others would ever be made for the line. It was such a surprise when the Brachiosaurus was revealed back at SDCC then to be releasing in 2019. Mattel have truly outdone themselves in continuing to deliver this many quality large sauropod figures like no company before them (there have been some, but never this many from one company).
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Faelrin on October 01, 2024, 05:30:24 AMavatar_Blade-of-the-Moon @Blade-of-the-Moon I share the same thoughts. Actually left a comment on D @Dino Scream3232 review of this figure about the same point.

Back in 2018 it wasn't even certain something like the Brachiosaurus, let alone any of the others would ever be made for the line. It was such a surprise when the Brachiosaurus was revealed back at SDCC then to be releasing in 2019. Mattel have truly outdone themselves in continuing to deliver this many quality large sauropod figures like no company before them (there have been some, but never this many from one company).

Exactly. Previously my largest sauropods were the DinoRiders Brontosaurus and the Definitely Dinosaurs Ultrasaurus.  I recall Mattel had said they had pitched the idea to Universal and they were against it. Saying, like playsets, they wouldn't sell. If it took Target to get this done I'm ok with it.  At least they exist so not impossible for everyone to find.   I really don't know what is left on my wishlist? 1:1 Compy, Super Colossal Pyroraptor and Spinosaurus?  Perhaps one day the playsets will be attempted again.  I do hold out hope that someday DinoRiders will get a re-release with a company this involved and this successful. 

Prehistory Resurrection

stargatedalek

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on October 01, 2024, 05:56:13 AM
Quote from: Faelrin on October 01, 2024, 05:30:24 AMavatar_Blade-of-the-Moon @Blade-of-the-Moon I share the same thoughts. Actually left a comment on D @Dino Scream3232 review of this figure about the same point.

Exactly. Previously my largest sauropods were the DinoRiders Brontosaurus and the Definitely Dinosaurs Ultrasaurus.  I recall Mattel had said they had pitched the idea to Universal and they were against it. Saying, like playsets, they wouldn't sell. If it took Target to get this done I'm ok with it.  At least they exist so not impossible for everyone to find.   I really don't know what is left on my wishlist? 1:1 Compy, Super Colossal Pyroraptor and Spinosaurus?  Perhaps one day the playsets will be attempted again.  I do hold out hope that someday DinoRiders will get a re-release with a company this involved and this successful. 
I wouldn't be surprised if the reason Mattel doesn't do anything with DinoRiders is because of cannibalism concerns with Jurassic.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: stargatedalek on October 03, 2024, 07:09:08 AM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on October 01, 2024, 05:56:13 AM

I wouldn't be surprised if the reason Mattel doesn't do anything with DinoRiders is because of cannibalism concerns with Jurassic.

Get a movie or a cartoon series behind and double dip.

andrewsaurus rex

Next big sauropod from Mattel?  I vote for Patagotitan, Argentinosaurus or Alamosaurus.   Time for a six footer.  ;)   The big Mattel sauropods sell great....they are almost always the first Mattel dinos to sell out at TRU.

If the above sauropods are not canon, so be it.  It's my understanding that Diplodocus isn't either, other than a model on a shelf in somebody's office in one of the movies.  And i can't believe all the obscure dino releases from Mattel are all canon?  So if they are not, why do the big sauropods need to be?  Keep 'em coming, Mattel.

stargatedalek

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on October 03, 2024, 03:01:26 PMGet a movie or a cartoon series behind and double dip.
While I agree, and wouldn't be surprised if Mattel did too, I doubt Universal would allow that to happen.

If Mattel ever lost the JP license though I hope having DR would let them just keep on trucking, maybe even with retooled pre-existing sculpts.

As for big sauropods, I am happy with my Brachiosaurus, Dreadnaughtus, and soon Diplodocus, I feel like they fill in the general archetypes I'd want in a large sauropod. I was not a fan of the Apatosaurus and sold mine years ago, and the Mamenchisaurus just felt a little too disproportionate for me, so the Diplodocus looking as good as it does is a relief after Mamenchisaurus felt a lot more cartoonish.

I would rather large creatures focus somewhere else for a while and circle back to sauropods later (maybe with more Hammond Collection versions), a 1:1 Compy, Mononykus, Baby Blue, Baby Pteranodon, etc.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.