News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Mattel - New for 2024

Started by Faelrin, July 21, 2023, 08:27:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CityRaptor

Yeah, those definitely look like they have been in a few fights. I guess the Kentrosaurus missing one tail spike may be inspired by Pierce losing one when he and Big Eatie are forced to fight each other.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Flaffy

I still don't understand why they keep giving abelisaurs oversized arms. You'd think Mattel would want to save plastic with how many corners they cut with the mainline nowadays.

Not a fan of the permanent battle damage gimmick they're doing either. Reminds me of Hasbro's JW line...

Faelrin

Thoughts:

Kryptops: A bit different from the colors of the mini figure, but it's nice the sculpt sort of resembles it. Scale detail looks really nice on this one. Just unfortunate they can't get ever get abelisaurid arms right (post Dominion), with the odd exception of this year's Ekrixinatosaurus (which did them right). The mini had the same problem.

Ceratosuchops: Giving comic Wolverine vibes, and I'm here for it.

Kentrosaurus: Easy pass on this one. The cost cutting/lack of paint really hurts this one. The 2021 Dino Escape one is far better.

Pteranodon: Kind of nice to see some battle damaged wings for once. Colors are nice too.

Therizinosaurus: I like the colors and the sculpt is nice.

I really just want to see the Maiasaura and Utahraptor already, but those are probably in a later wave (same for the others with no pics yet).

Now that we have images of a good lot of these, I'm going to go ahead and finally get the 2025 thread done here. I was planning to do it earlier, but held off as very few had images yet.

I'm guessing the Suchomimus and Styxosaurus we've seen earlier are technically Wave 1 2025 releases as well. Based on the past couple of years we get about two waves for those figures. I'll update the op and move them to the 2025 thread.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Carnoking

Gosh, it's getting harder and harder for me to get excited about these mainline Mattel releases. Not that there's anything necessarily bad that I can point out about these figures, it just feels like more of the same at this point.

Gwangi

The Ceratosuchops is the only one that interests me, it's pretty cool looking. I like the yellow and black combo. Wish some of that yellow was painted elsewhere but all well. As for the others, the Kryptops is too similar to Mattel abelisaurids I already have. Don't like the Pteranodon and have never really liked any Mattel Pteranodon figures. I don't need another version of the Therizinosaurus and kentrosaurus.

Faelrin

Just passing along that the 2025 thread is started now:

https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=11579.0

Flaffy

I can't believe we still don't have an official JWD Oviraptor or Microceratus toy. Anyone else we're still missing?

Faelrin

avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy We're also missing the Spinoceratops (Angel and Rebel) and the Smilodon from Camp Cretaceous Season 4, and the Tarbosaurus from the Hidden Adventure interactive episode (the 2020 sculpt is mostly fine, but the colors are too different) for what it's worth.

Several other variations too, but nothing too particularly major other then maybe TLW Pteranodon (although they did the canceled Geosternbergia design in place), JPIII Brachiosaurus, and like either the JP or JPIII Parasaurolophus at this point as I think most have been covered by now. A more film accurate Iguanodon, Moros, and Dominion Parasaurolophus is needed. A larger Dominion (demon) Carnotaurus would be nice as well (particularly as a repaint of the HC figure).

Eatmycar

Quote from: Carnoking on September 10, 2024, 11:55:42 PMGosh, it's getting harder and harder for me to get excited about these mainline Mattel releases. Not that there's anything necessarily bad that I can point out about these figures, it just feels like more of the same at this point.

I feel this. Don't get me wrong, I am grateful (and surprised) this line is still going, but there are so many genera I am not excited about.

Kryptops is known by barely any material. Ceratosuchops has little defining material as well. I definitely think there are better creatures to bring to the toy line. But frankly I feel the same about lines like PNSO or CollectA creating such obscure creatures. It's pointless when there's inevitably more material that will be uncovered.

That said, I intend on getting the Ceratosuchops. It's such a nice generic Spinosaurid, and the color scheme is so out there. I love this.

Faelrin

Honestly I'm kind of surprised they have yet to do popular genera like Acrocanthosaurus, Deinocheirus, Yutyrannus (though the Eocarcharia is basically that I guess), maybe others. A Dunkleosteus would be nice since most dinosaur toy lines have one, and JWE2 did a good take on it too they could do a figure on.

At least Utahraptor has a figure coming out next year. I'm really hoping it is classic Kenner inspired since Creative Beast's fulfills my need of a modern feathered one. Though I wouldn't mind if it had some feathering like the Megaraptor like on the tail and such. Still I want a mostly classic vintage 90's style one.

Come to think of it, this is the third time Utahraptor has gotten attention in figure form in these past couple of years. Nice to see after a long drought prior.

Edit: We need them do to an Estemmenosuchus and Lycaenops or other gorgonopsid since they are some of the few remaining Kenner genera without Mattel updates. Edit 2: Coelophysis as well.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Eatmycar on September 11, 2024, 07:12:22 AM
Quote from: Carnoking on September 10, 2024, 11:55:42 PMGosh, it's getting harder and harder for me to get excited about these mainline Mattel releases. Not that there's anything necessarily bad that I can point out about these figures, it just feels like more of the same at this point.

I feel this. Don't get me wrong, I am grateful (and surprised) this line is still going, but there are so many genera I am not excited about.

Kryptops is known by barely any material. Ceratosuchops has little defining material as well. I definitely think there are better creatures to bring to the toy line. But frankly I feel the same about lines like PNSO or CollectA creating such obscure creatures. It's pointless when there's inevitably more material that will be uncovered.

That said, I intend on getting the Ceratosuchops. It's such a nice generic Spinosaurid, and the color scheme is so out there. I love this.

If any line can afford to release multiple variants of the same species over time it's Mattel. It actually works to their benefit. I think if you want more species then this a good way, it's adding obscure genera to your collection fairly cheaply that you can eventually upgrade.

EmperorDinobot

Mom's really gonna hate that Pteranodon.

I think that and Theri's colors are reflections of the Biosyn place on fire.

We need a large, animatronic locust figure. still.

andrewsaurus rex

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on September 11, 2024, 03:39:20 PM

If any line can afford to release multiple variants of the same species over time it's Mattel. It actually works to their benefit. I think if you want more species then this a good way, it's adding obscure genera to your collection fairly cheaply that you can eventually upgrade.

I like that they release obscure genera.......the problem is many of them are representatives of their genus in name only, looking nothing like scientific or even pseudo scientific restorations of the real animal, with their goofy big heads, tiny torsos and giant feet.   If some day Mattel decides to make these obscurities more realistic in appearance,  i'll be happy and excited.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: andrewsaurus rex on September 11, 2024, 06:35:33 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on September 11, 2024, 03:39:20 PM

I like that they release obscure genera.......the problem is many of them are representatives of their genus in name only, looking nothing like scientific or even pseudo scientific restorations of the real animal, with their goofy big heads, tiny torsos and giant feet.   If some day Mattel decides to make these obscurities more realistic in appearance,  i'll be happy and excited.

I mean those are basically hallmarks of the line lol   I honestly think they are doing a lot better. Just look how nice the teeth are now.

andrewsaurus rex

no question they are getting better....and if they continue to improve i'll be interested in getting a lot of Mattel's figures, especially the ones of obscure genera.  For now i am very selective only getting some of the big sauropods and just a very few of the other figures Mattel has released over the years.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: andrewsaurus rex on September 12, 2024, 12:18:40 PMno question they are getting better....and if they continue to improve i'll be interested in getting a lot of Mattel's figures, especially the ones of obscure genera.  For now i am very selective only getting some of the big sauropods and just a very few of the other figures Mattel has released over the years.

I try to be. I'll buy one I like even on sale keep it a month or so then turn around and sell it for space. There's just so much room in a collection lol  So I look at everything and thing " Do I like this or what  I have already more ?"

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.