News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Mattel - New for 2024

Started by Faelrin, July 21, 2023, 08:27:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andrewsaurus rex

yes the tails on the big Mattel 'pods are always the problem when it comes to rearing...never flexible enough at the base (except the Hammond Brach).

I'm wondering if the tail on the Diplodocus is flexible (ie wire inside) because it seems to be in a different pose on the box art corner pic then it is on the initial pics we saw where it looks too short.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: andrewsaurus rex on March 26, 2024, 05:34:23 PMyes the tails on the big Mattel 'pods are always the problem when it comes to rearing...never flexible enough at the base (except the Hammond Brach).

I'm wondering if the tail on the Diplodocus is flexible (ie wire inside) because it seems to be in a different pose on the box art corner pic then it is on the initial pics we saw where it looks too short.

Maybe. It should have one main joint just past the hips but the tip could have a swivel joint like the Apato has.

Flaffy

Quote from: Prehistory Resurrection on March 27, 2024, 02:01:45 AM

Not a fan. Everything from paint, detail and proportions all got downgraded from previous versions of the Baryonyx.

rm0918

Dippy is up for preorder on the Target site for 69.99.  Delivery in October.  They have a $20 off $75 sale.  Add something else for $5.01 and get the $20 off.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: rm0918 on March 27, 2024, 04:21:29 PMDippy is up for preorder on the Target site for 69.99.  Delivery in October.  They have a $20 off $75 sale.  Add something else for $5.01 and get the $20 off.

Ordered. I added an Ekrixinatosaurus that was on sale for 13.00, after tax and free ship the whole order was just over 68.00 not terrible. It may turn up in stores first anyway with a better deal going on. Sept 29/October is a long way away still. I'm actually surprised it's that long for this having it's preorder so early. Is the next items reveled each month going to only be for quarter 3 and 4?

Prehistory Resurrection

Blade-of-the-Moon

I also noticed the height was labeled 13" which is very wrong.

I loved the reasoning behind the "Legacy" branding.  It was seen in Grant's trailer and in a mural in Lockwood's mansion. lol  So this figure is partly based on another figure ( Carnegie Dippy ) from the first film..is that a first?  A toy based on a real toy in a movie?  Not something made for the film.

Mural pic from FK if anyone cares :

stargatedalek

It looks amazing. And finally some articular at the head so it looks natural with the neck raised or lowered!

andrewsaurus rex

The Diplo looks like it may well be the best of the big sauropods so far, and the most scientifically accurate (not that that's a high bar to clear...lol).

Faelrin

I'm so relieved it has that ball jointed head or whatever like the Apatosaurus and new Brachiosaurus. I really want mine in the classic horizontal neck pose.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Carnoking

Even if its connection to the legacy collection is tenuous at best, it really does look great, a serious contender for best sauropod yet from Mattel.

Gwangi

It's magnificent. It looks to be Mattel's best sauropod so far. If space was a factor I would sooner give the Apato or Mamenchi the boot before skipping this one. I really don't care that it's a Legacy figure or about whatever excuses Mattel needed to make it, I'm just glad that they did.

Flaffy

Looks magnificent! Wish I had the space for it though... Now we just need a Camarasaurus to complete the "Big Four" of the Morrison Formation ;)

I'm hoping we get a more screen accurate Apatosaurus later down the line in the Hammond Collection. The Legacy version is horrendously proportioned and easily the weakest sauropod of the colossal line.

Gwangi

Quote from: Flaffy on March 27, 2024, 05:44:41 PMLooks magnificent! Wish I had the space for it though... Now we just need a Camarasaurus to complete the "Big Four" of the Morrison Formation ;)

I'm hoping we get a more screen accurate Apatosaurus later down the line in teh Hammond Collection. The Legacy version is horrendously proportioned and easily the weakest sauropod of the colossal line.

A Camarasaurus would be excellent! I think an Alamosaurus is more likely though. Its skeleton is in Jurassic Park.

I never would have bought the Apatosaurus if it wasn't half off at the time. It's hideous.

Blade-of-the-Moon

I still like the Apatosaurus, I think it was a learning curve for Mattel, they did the best they could with what they ahd and it still more or less matches the film at least as much as Nanmu's does and we are getting baby Apatos this year too.

I'm glad the folks in this forum can at least appreciate what a cool figure this is whether you buy it or not. I read over a lot of posts in the Jurassic Facebook groups and I had to stop I just couldn't keep reading and biting my tongue. The complaining is just horrible.  I also read Jurassic Outpost said he was stepping back from posting due to all the negativity. Shame.

Eatmycar

The complaining about the Apatosaurus is absolutely hysterical, and I don't mean that in a funny way.

It's in 'legacy collection', so what? Legacy has been meaningless for a while now, and that's fine. It's Mattel's place in the distribution to slot a sauropod in each year. Why is a meaningless label calling so much salt? The deco is great, the body is great. It's a huge step forward, and seeing people complain about such petty stuff is just disappointing. I feel some of these people deserve Hasbro's Jurassic World toys.

andrewsaurus rex

Bring on the Alamosaurus!

By any chance was there ever a mention, picture, sketch or image on a tv set of a Patagotitan or Argentinosaurus in any of the movies, cartoons or video games?  I'm hoping for one of those so Mattel can crack the 6 foot mark.  :)

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Eatmycar on March 28, 2024, 02:32:09 AMThe complaining about the Apatosaurus is absolutely hysterical, and I don't mean that in a funny way.

It's in 'legacy collection', so what? Legacy has been meaningless for a while now, and that's fine. It's Mattel's place in the distribution to slot a sauropod in each year. Why is a meaningless label calling so much salt? The deco is great, the body is great. It's a huge step forward, and seeing people complain about such petty stuff is just disappointing. I feel some of these people deserve Hasbro's Jurassic World toys.

Exactly. These people, all I can think is expected a Lost World RV set, High Hide, something more iconical when the name "Legacy" is used. That said, we knew the Diplodocus was coming. We knew it would almost be 100% certainty a Target exclusive and that said like every other large sauropod it would be a Legacy item. So the anger and complaining to quote Spock " is highly illogical."

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: andrewsaurus rex on March 28, 2024, 03:26:17 AMBring on the Alamosaurus!

By any chance was there ever a mention, picture, sketch or image on a tv set of a Patagotitan or Argentinosaurus in any of the movies, cartoons or video games?  I'm hoping for one of those so Mattel can crack the 6 foot mark.  :)

Maybe in the game? No idea what's in the new Camp Cretaceous series Chaos Theory yet though. Are all of these roughly in scale? I tend to think not anyway? 

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: