News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Mattel - New for 2024

Started by Faelrin, July 21, 2023, 08:27:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gwangi

Thanks avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin, decided to get the Trike. Was originally going to skip it since I have the Hammond Collection one but that's a hard price to argue with.

Faelrin

It's honestly a great figure in hand. It's big enough to give any of the large theropods in the line a run for their money. The claws, and some other bits I think are unpainted, but molded in different coloration from the main body's plastic. Something they started doing with the teeth on some figures now. I got mine on sale a bit earlier this year, but I think for a few bucks more. Totally worth it for the sale prices it has been having as of late.

I actually just ordered the HC female raptor set, and the baby Stegosaurus since both of those were on sale. I grabbed the JPIII set for that version of Grant mostly, but I'm tempted to grab those replacement parts out there, and customize the raptor (same with the new HC Dimetrodon).

Edit: For anyone curious, here's the comparison between the Syrett Tech and Marco Makes new Dimetrodon head:

Not to dump on it, but no wonder the HC head bugged me. I love using these guys in JWE2, and I could tell the HC looked off, but this makes it pretty obvious as to why. That said I do still have the mainline one (with Grant), and the Extreme Damage one (edit 2: which I think has a more appealing head sculpt then the HC one, but not quite as accurate as that Syrett Tech/Marco Makes one, but mostly the teeth), so it isn't like I really need it per se. Part of me also wonders if the head of the one from the Grant set could be kit bashed onto the HC one, but I'm not sure if that would work.

Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Gwangi

I skipped the HC Dimetrodon, I wish I had a more screen accurate one but the HC figure failed to impress and I'm getting pickier 6 years into collecting these toys. I have the ED Dimetrodon and although it is a bit garish I still like it. I also have the Captivz Dimetrodon which obviously doesn't scale with the Mattel toys but at least I have a figure that represents what is seen onscreen.

andrewsaurus rex

How does the Hab Defender Trike compare in size to the BOTM adult Trike?  From the description it sounds like it's the same size?

Blade-of-the-Moon

I did the same Gwangi. I just couldn't keep it with all the flaws, especially when the mainline was just about as good or better in some cases.

The HD Trike is about the same size as  the BotM one, but just more girth and mass. Though the BotM is heavier lol

Dilopho

I'd really like it if we get a Nothosaurus and Tarbosaurus in the Hammond Collection, there hasn't been any Camp Cretaceous rep so far and those two are some of the standout new species.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Dilopho on May 06, 2024, 08:33:28 PMI'd really like it if we get a Nothosaurus and Tarbosaurus in the Hammond Collection, there hasn't been any Camp Cretaceous rep so far and those two are some of the standout new species.

Might get a Anky repaint as Bumpy first if I were to bet. He's the most popular dino in the series.

Dilopho

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on May 06, 2024, 11:41:18 PM
Quote from: Dilopho on May 06, 2024, 08:33:28 PMI'd really like it if we get a Nothosaurus and Tarbosaurus in the Hammond Collection, there hasn't been any Camp Cretaceous rep so far and those two are some of the standout new species.

Might get a Anky repaint as Bumpy first if I were to bet. He's the most popular dino in the series.

I actually see more people liking Toro than Bumpy. And I would think a Toro would be easier than a Bumpy, because he could just be a repaint whereas Bumpy would need a retool for her unique horns.

Gwangi

I skipped the HC Ankylosaurus because
I don't care for the JP design but I would get an HC Bumpy because I like the character.  ;D

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Dilopho on May 07, 2024, 01:02:46 AM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on May 06, 2024, 11:41:18 PM

I actually see more people liking Toro than Bumpy. And I would think a Toro would be easier than a Bumpy, because he could just be a repaint whereas Bumpy would need a retool for her unique horns.

You would think and maybe overall but I've sold a lot more Bumpy's than I have Toros in our shop. I think it's the cute factor with younger kids. Just like how they want a Littlefoot to go on adventures with instead of just Sharptooth.

Toro would be easier, but is there enough difference from the current one? I think the Dominion Carno with the Demon coloration and damaged horn would make a bit more sense when it comes to Carnotaurus. 

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Gwangi on May 07, 2024, 02:28:22 AMI skipped the HC Ankylosaurus because
I don't care for the JP design but I would get an HC Bumpy because I like the character.  ;D

I can see that, I bought one myself it's a tank of a toy.  Bumpy I have the younger versions of him and the one mainline adult figure..almost feel like a growth sequence lol

Gwangi

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on May 07, 2024, 03:15:42 AM
Quote from: Gwangi on May 07, 2024, 02:28:22 AMI skipped the HC Ankylosaurus because

I can see that, I bought one myself it's a tank of a toy.  Bumpy I have the younger versions of him and the one mainline adult figure..almost feel like a growth sequence lol

I know it's a well made toy, I was really on the fence about it. Every JP Ankylosaurus I have is Bumpy. I have the mainline baby and adult, baby Captivz, and a plush one.

Bumpy is a she BTW.  ;)

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Gwangi on May 07, 2024, 04:00:00 AM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on May 07, 2024, 03:15:42 AM

I know it's a well made toy, I was really on the fence about it. Every JP Ankylosaurus I have is Bumpy. I have the mainline baby and adult, baby Captivz, and a plush one.

Bumpy is a she BTW.  ;)

Same here lol I even have Guilherme's Bumpy sculpt.

Right I tend to think of Ankylosaurs as "he", apologies.

Dilopho

I got two of the HC Ankylosaurus recently, and only because I found an amazing deal on them because they were in crushed packaging.
I live in the UK, so it's not easy to get any of these things really... so I felt lucky.

And they're really amazing figures. I was suprised that it's easy to have them up on two legs.

Really awesome. If only they'd reissue the Ceratosaurus, and make it easy to get worldwide. That's the most iconic of JP3's "lesser" dinosaurs.

I actually wish future Hammond Collection figures would go the way of this Ankylosaurus- NO soft rubber.
I'm just so paranoid about how these figures are gonna hold up over time. I'm envisioning all the dried out cracked tails and torn rubber cheeks...

I want an adult Stegosaurus soooo badly, especially if the tail isn't rubber (Firm rubber is okay, like the mainline Stegosaurus figure. But I'm talking about the bendy wire rubber.). But it must be in the same size range as the Carnotaurus and Therizinosaurus, not undersized!

Flaffy

avatar_Dilopho @Dilopho I've seen them at The Entertainer for a really good deal as well! A shame they stocked these so late as I had already got them at MSRP from Rexy Reviews.

Dilopho

Quote from: Flaffy on May 07, 2024, 10:20:29 PMavatar_Dilopho @Dilopho I've seen them at The Entertainer for a really good deal as well! A shame they stocked these so late as I had already got them at MSRP from Rexy Reviews.

You saw the Ankylosaurus there?
I saw the Concavenator there a few weeks ago on clearance sale and grabbed it.
I wasn't planning to, a figure with that overall cartoonish feel wasn't worth hunting down on import, but seeing it in store for a cheap price? I just had to! And it's a pretty nice figure once you look past the proportions.

Sigh, if only they had done the Concavenator from the game... that beautiful, beautiful design with accurate quills and belly scales...

I'm going to get the Metriacanthosaurus tomorrow if my online delivery comes. The one I REALLY want from the pre-Carnotaurus era is Irritator, that one looks so good.
Unfortunately the Dimetrodon is almost £50! Can you believe that? Such a small figure, and a pack animal too! And it's not like the quality of these figures is BOTM.

Faelrin

avatar_Dilopho @Dilopho Congrats on picking those up. The Concavenator and the Ankylosaurus are one of my favorites from last year. In a way I agree about the JWE2 design, but well the figure was designed well in advance to be fair. But I think the HC figure looks better then the actual film design in a way, like I think the head looks like it has more life in it. I also wish we got a skin for JWE2 with coloration similar to the HC figure. I'm surprised there's no mod for that yet.

avatar_Gwangi @Gwangi I really hope we get Bumpy using the Anky mold but with the new head. Baby Bumpy would be great to have too (like the baby Stegosaurus, which I just got), although the mainline figure is still great after all this time.

And speaking of the Stegosaurus, really hope we get the adult next year. I ordered the baby off Amazon when it was on sale a few days ago. I wasn't initially pleased with it at first, but with it on sale, I gave it a chance, and I really like it now that I have it in hand. I think what really put me off initially is the way the yellow paint on the belly looked in the in-box pic, but the one I got is good enough (at least before opening it and observing it from both sides). It's super cute too, and I'm glad to have both takes of it that they've put out so far. I also got the JPIII set (still on sale for like $10). Definitely worth it for the JPIII Grant at that price. The female raptor is still eh, even after seeing it in hand, but aside from the Corythosaurus (and hopefully a future HC Spinosaurus, and minor variations like the green Parasaurolophus), my JPIII dino cast is otherwise complete. I'm tempted to order the Corythosaurus now, since it is still available on Mattel Creations for retail price (plus shipping).

By the way, speaking about getting my hands on those, here's a pic. Bonus pic in the recent acquisitions post.

Edit: For comparison:

Spoiler
Official in box pic:

My figure:

[close]
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Dilopho

avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin That's a nice pickup!
Man, I hope they do take a crack at a v2 of that Velociraptor, even if it's just a repaint of the upcoming Delta figure.

Actually, have they reissued any of these HC figures, or are they like the mainline- blink and you miss it?

Flaffy

Quote from: Dilopho on May 07, 2024, 10:41:22 PM
Quote from: Flaffy on May 07, 2024, 10:20:29 PMavatar_Dilopho @Dilopho I've seen them at The Entertainer for a really good deal as well! A shame they stocked these so late as I had already got them at MSRP from Rexy Reviews.

You saw the Ankylosaurus there?
I saw the Concavenator there a few weeks ago on clearance sale and grabbed it.
I wasn't planning to, a figure with that overall cartoonish feel wasn't worth hunting down on import, but seeing it in store for a cheap price? I just had to! And it's a pretty nice figure once you look past the proportions.

Sigh, if only they had done the Concavenator from the game... that beautiful, beautiful design with accurate quills and belly scales...

Yeah, saw the Ankylosaurus/Concavenator/Geosternbergia wave in the wild. Must've been Amazon UK overstock that spilt into physical stores as I recall seeing these 3 being on discounted on Amazon prior to their physical appearances in stores.

Agreed on the Concavenator. The cartoonishly large hands and general proportions are a far cry from the JWFK Lockwoond mamaquette. I still wonder why they didn't just skip the wrist articulation and give it more proportionate arms like they did with the Metri and Cerato.

QuoteI'm going to get the Metriacanthosaurus tomorrow if my online delivery comes. The one I REALLY want from the pre-Carnotaurus era is Irritator, that one looks so good.

Yeah both theropods are fantastic (for Matel standards). Been focusing less and less on the mainline, which frees up space and budget for far superior figures in the Hammond Collection.

QuoteUnfortunately the Dimetrodon is almost £50! Can you believe that? Such a small figure, and a pack animal too! And it's not like the quality of these figures is BOTM.

I'm seeing 37GBP on Amazon UK, still way overpriced compared to MSRP. And it's certainly one of the weaker HC figures. Mattel seems to struggle with the small HC dinosaurs for some reason. I don't recall a single one that stands out so far, which is a shame cus they do such great work with the medium-large offerings.

Dilopho

Quote from: Flaffy on May 08, 2024, 03:09:05 AMI'm seeing 37GBP on Amazon UK, still way overpriced compared to MSRP. And it's certainly one of the weaker HC figures. Mattel seems to struggle with the small HC dinosaurs for some reason. I don't recall a single one that stands out so far, which is a shame cus they do such great work with the medium-large offerings.

It's $17 on Amazon USA, so that's 3x the price!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: