News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Papo - New for 2024

Started by bmathison1972, November 16, 2023, 08:41:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpartanSquat

Anyone has pics of the other figures from the toyfair? I wanna see the dragon that looks like fatalis

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: SpartanSquat on February 02, 2024, 03:36:42 AMAnyone has pics of the other figures from the toyfair? I wanna see the dragon that looks like fatalis

Over9K

That Mako shark is nice too...

Quiversaurus

From avatar_Everything_Dinosaur @Everything_Dinosaur 's Instagram. Their Suchomimus is quite large it seems? Compared with this lady's hands. Wonder what scale it will end up being.

The caption also mentioned that this is a paint master, and the for-sale copies will be based off this figure.

SidB

Their Suchomimus continues to be promising, it seems.

Blade-of-the-Moon

I figured it was a prototype. Shame they can't offer two versions, a mass market and a collector one. Here's hoping the teeth and claws aren't too blunted and the paint remains mostly the same.

Carnoking

I'm definitely anticipating a fall-off in quality to the final product, there always is. But the last big theropod they did (the giga) held up pretty well all things considered.

Primeval12

Oh wowwww, it's a big boi! I will make some room for it!

Flaffy

Quote from: Carnoking on February 05, 2024, 03:43:00 PMI'm definitely anticipating a fall-off in quality to the final product, there always is. But the last big theropod they did (the giga) held up pretty well all things considered.

Tale as old as time...

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 05, 2024, 03:10:54 PMI figured it was a prototype. Shame they can't offer two versions, a mass market and a collector one. Here's hoping the teeth and claws aren't too blunted and the paint remains mostly the same.

Seconded. The paint master is too good to not release as a premium version.

Stegotyranno420

Oh come on, the LTD Spino is not that bad. Even if it had been reduced it is still phenomenal.

Faelrin

I agree even though there was some drop off from the prototype, it's still a fine piece when viewed in hand (and in natural lighting). From comparing the two, I think the biggest difference is the lack of that white wash on the prototype.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on February 05, 2024, 04:31:44 PMOh come on, the LTD Spino is not that bad. Even if it had been reduced it is still phenomenal.

It's the best swimming Spino I have still.

Maybe we could let ED and other retailers know to ask about a Collector's version? May not matter, but you never know if you don't try.

Sim

The Papo limited edition Spinosaurus was basically a collector's version and if that experienced a change from the prototype I think a collector's version of the Suchomimus would too.  I'm optimistic for the Papo Suchomimus, Papo has shown excellent product quality in previous figures, including the limited edition Spinosaurus, that I expect the Suchomimus will be satisfying.

Prehistory Resurrection

Close-up, side view of the Corythosaurus:

It's...good. But it could be better in terms of the detailing and the colour scheme. Their Parasaurolophus, though based on the JP version, is better than this one and looked more realistic. I know this one is based on scientific accuracy but still... Because there are not much Corythosaurus figures, I think it may be an option to consider. I think the change in sculptor is obvious.

Blade-of-the-Moon

It's something I likely would have bought ten-fifteen years ago.

SpartanSquat

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 02, 2024, 04:23:23 AM
Quote from: SpartanSquat on February 02, 2024, 03:36:42 AMAnyone has pics of the other figures from the toyfair? I wanna see the dragon that looks like fatalis

I was reffering actual pics of the other figures from the last toy fair.
And about cory...like you said I would probably bought it in late 2000s but not now.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: SpartanSquat on February 09, 2024, 07:12:03 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 02, 2024, 04:23:23 AM

I was reffering actual pics of the other figures from the last toy fair.
And about cory...like you said I would probably bought it in late 2000s but not now.

That's the only image I could locate of the dragon.

Primeval12

Quote from: Prehistory Resurrection on February 09, 2024, 06:50:08 PMClose-up, side view of the Corythosaurus:

It's...good. But it could be better in terms of the detailing and the colour scheme. Their Parasaurolophus, though based on the JP version, is better than this one and looked more realistic. I know this one is based on scientific accuracy but still... Because there are not much Corythosaurus figures, I think it may be an option to consider. I think the change in sculptor is obvious.

It's giving Hypacrosaurus vibes with that smaller crest.

I do kinda like it, so I probably will end up with it. ALL of these sculpts are improvements over their dinosaurus from last year. Even if they're subpar, they're quite refreshing.

Flaffy

Just as I had suspected, the sculptor was using Hypacrosaurus referecnes when sculpting this "Corythosaurus" That distinctive triangular hump, along with the smaller crest that doesn't extend behind the skull is characteristic of H. altispinus.

avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres reckon you'll be replacing the Safari Hypacrosaurus in your collection? Or have the two figures represent separate Hypacrosaurus species? (or not get the Papo one at all)

That being said, Papo's clearly out of their depth with the market heading towards HLG and PNSO levels of quality. The latter two company's Edmontosaurus just emphasises the vast difference in sculpt quality. Papo is no longer the top player as it once was back in the early 2010s.

Prehistory Resurrection

I think it's the same case as with their "Ankylosaurus" which is in fact based on Euoplocephalus here.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: