News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Papo - New for 2024

Started by bmathison1972, November 16, 2023, 08:41:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DefinitelyNOTDilo

I sincerely hope whoever sculpted this is in charge of all of papo's dinosaurs from now on. This could genuinely be papo's comeback.

Carnoking

Now that's the Papo I know and love. Bravo, bravo indeed!

Stegotyranno420

PNSO: I thought you died
Papo: my death was greatly exaggerated. Even if colours arent exact, it will still be a great one. I prefer this over PNSO, which is also impressive

Pliosaurking

Honestly one of their best looking figures ever, hopefully they keep up the great work!

bmathison1972

Wow I really like that Suchomimus. I might replace my Safari with it!

Faelrin

Giving PNSO's a run for their money. I need to get both of those. Also man night and day with their prior Baryonyx. This is kind of akin to their 2019 Spinosaurus (which I still adore despite becoming out dated in the tail, and sail possibly). The coloration is absolutely beautiful too.

That said gonna temper my expectations on the paintwork between this prototype and the final product considering what happened with the 2019 Spinosaurus, but also doesn't impact the wonderful sculpt work here.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Takama

I know eveyines excited about the Suchomimus, but im looking at the Ampelosaurus next to it, and its giveing me Schleich Barapasaurus vipes

oscars_dinos

That sucho is on another level. Im assuming it will have the typical papo'isms that even their best figures have, that being the feet and muscles being too big. I dont think this would look good with my current pnso collection (I've been looking at other companies to see if any mesh well) but I can't lie it is a very attractive figure. I know he dosent review papos but I would actually love to see what dinodragons thinks of this figure.

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: oscars_dinos on January 30, 2024, 07:25:27 PMThat sucho is on another level. Im assuming it will have the typical papo'isms that even their best figures have, that being the feet and muscles being too big. I dont think this would look good with my current pnso collection (I've been looking at other companies to see if any mesh well) but I can't lie it is a very attractive figure. I know he dosent review papos but I would actually love to see what dinodragons thinks of this figure.
The muscles are never too big 💪💪💪

But i agree with the other sentiments for the most part

Fembrogon

Oh my, that really looks lovely! The Suchomimus is now a must-have. I concur this will easily be one of the best dinos Papo has produced in a while.
Curious what it will cost compared to the PNSO.

Prehistory Resurrection

Just seeing the actual pictures now and what a pleasant surprise! The Suchomimus looks much nicer than the promotional pictures. It is obvious that a different sculptor was in charge of this figure and I hope that in the future, we will get more figures from this same sculptor and less from the one in charge of the ones like the disappointing Protoceratops.

For the quality-price balance, undoubtedly, this version by Papo is the one to consider over the one from PNSO. But both are still good in their own ways. Papo has always nailed it with their Spinosaurid figures. Their Baryonyx, though looking quite good, was quite funky-looking and had exaggerated features; was over-stylized but fortunately, this Suchomimus has the right balance of the Papo aesthetic and scientific accuracy. Really like the colour scheme too. Glad to see that the glorious days of Papo are back.

Bread

Now that is putting some good use of those Papo's color applications to the test!

I'm typically not a fan of their sculpts, some few exceptions such as their Carnotaurus and this new Suchomimus. However, I've always been a fan of their use of colors and the way their final products stand out. They usually hold some excellent colors once applied, and tend to do this better than PNSO's.

This is a pickup for me at least.

Saarlooswolfhound

Ambre

I already have the PNSO Suchomimus but this one is gorgeous, i might take it if its affordable

PrimevalRaptor

This is probably a contender for their best prehistoric animal...ever, holy crap.
Hoping stores get this one here (the one I usually check for Papo didn't even have this years new models  ::) ) but worst case I'll have to order this one online, even if the paintjob takes a bit of a nosedive in the actual product this is insane.

Ikessauro

I see most of you guys like it! So, I think this one is a 100% win for Papo this year and will be a success in sales, or so I hope. I mean, if it sells well, chances are Papo will hire the same sculptor again to make more dinos like it.

I think the Sucho has the perfect combination of features in my opinion for any dino toy.
  • Papo's exquisite paint application, that even when not exactly the same as the prototype, is very good, mostly.
  • High level of detail with beliveable skin texture and nice anatomical proportions, even if it has some artistic liberties, it is generally quite accurate.
  • Great posture, dinamic, organic pose, without being unrealistic like Papo's Giga for instance.
  • A impressive, yet realistic and beliveable color scheme
  • A probably affordable price tag, assuming it will be similar to previous theropods

Halichoeres

Not bad at all. Probably a $40 - $45 MSRP?
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Gwangi

This is perhaps Papo's best dinosaur ever. I struggle to think of a better one. I never got around to getting PNSO's Suchomimus so I'll definitely show Papo my support and get this one. It will end up being my first Papo purchase since 2016. The last Papo prehistoric figure I bought was the Tupuxuara.  Hopefully Papo is setting a new standard with this one.

Quiversaurus

Quote from: Ikessauro on January 30, 2024, 05:15:35 PMIt has been a while since I've been this excited for a Papo dinosaur. Photos of the Suchomimus in the Nuremberg toy fair, posted by jurassic.german on Instagram.

Dang that is one good looking dinosaur. No idea where they pulled this sculptor and paint job from but I am absolutely here for it. Brings me back to the first time I longed for a Papo model, their Allosaurus, which became the first model I ever got.

Really like the head sculpt and paint job on this one, but am a little on the fence as to the pose. Wonder what this guy has fixed his gaze upon - perhaps a pterosaur of some sort... Can't wait for more pictures/reviews!

Blade-of-the-Moon

Certainly a surprise from Papo. Now if they can keep this level in the final product and this isn't just a prototype. I'm getting some Papo Ceratosaur vibes.

I'm having trouble telling how big it is. Could it be in the same line as the swimmimg Spinosaurus?

I'm also feeling it's a sort of Sucho/Baryonyx hybrid?  The skull almost looks thin enough but the body is lacking a higher spine from the looks of it.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: