News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Eofauna Scientific Research - New for 2024

Started by Concavenator, December 04, 2023, 12:20:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sim

Yes, the innermost toe.  In Spinosaurus and some therizinosaurians it is weight-bearing, but in other theropods like Tyrannosaurus my understanding is it would make contact with the ground during certain activities such as running.  Below is a skeletal of Sue by Scott Hartman.  Notice how the innermost toe of the leading foot goes beyond the edge of the foot and would touch the ground when the foot is in that position.

Concavenator

avatar_Sim @Sim I knew that, but thanks anyways. I fail to see how would that toe eventually touch the ground in those PNSO reconstructions, though.

DefinitelyNOTDilo

Quote from: Sim on December 04, 2023, 09:28:33 PMYes, the innermost toe.  In Spinosaurus and some therizinosaurians it is weight-bearing, but in other theropods like Tyrannosaurus my understanding is it would make contact with the ground during certain activities such as running.  Below is a skeletal of Sue by Scott Hartman.  Notice how the innermost toe of the leading foot goes beyond the edge of the foot and would touch the ground when the foot is in that position.

It still appears to be raised up in the image you showed.

Bread

Now I know the colors on this Tyrannosaurus are exceptionally well done since majority of the time there is a constant use of earth tones, but hear me out...

Now I thought Rebor's Kiss worked the best for this colorscheme, but I'm tempted to see this done personally...

marisaura

incredible looking figure. there's never been a t. rex that's really stood out to me, but this is exactly what i was looking for. the articulation looks seamless too - not sure i've ever seen another figure where it's so well executed! can't wait for this one to come out.

postosuchus

avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator, the first finger should not touch the ground in figures you gave as an example. all of them are cast in more or less calm poses, the joint is located at a sufficient height, in some the finger is slightly bent back. when running or making a sudden movement [the joint will straighten, the soft tissues of the foot will shrink somewhat under the weight of the body], the claw of the first toe will touch the ground. in EoFauna theropods this finger is positioned more vertically, the joint is located much higher. the dinosaur will have to work hard to sharpen its ever-growing claw. of course, PNSO reconstruction is not ideal. but you can see the difference with your own eyes if you have an EoFauna Giganotosaurus: place the foot of one of the PNSO theropods on its right foot in the appropriate position.

Quote from: Concavenator on December 04, 2023, 08:59:16 PMavatar_postosuchus @postosuchus Really? I don't recall seeing theropod figures with the first toe touching the ground, any examples?
my data is not enough. Albertosaurus PNSO, although not a match, theoretically should be close.

Sim

Quote from: DefinitelyNOTDilo on December 04, 2023, 09:34:22 PMIt still appears to be raised up in the image you showed.
I mean the foot that is in front of the Tyrannosaurus.  Its innermost toe would touch the ground while doing certain activities as avatar_postosuchus @postosuchus described.

DefinitelyNOTDilo

Quote from: Sim on December 05, 2023, 07:28:05 PM
Quote from: DefinitelyNOTDilo on December 04, 2023, 09:34:22 PMIt still appears to be raised up in the image you showed.
I mean the foot that is in front of the Tyrannosaurus.  Its innermost toe would touch the ground while doing certain activities as avatar_postosuchus @postosuchus described.

I just realized we might be talking about different toes lol, are you referring to the dewclaw or the innermost of the three main toes?

Sim

DefinitelyNOTDilo

Ah, in that case yeah, in the skeletal that was shared it still seems to be raised above the ground for pretty much all positions

Sim

I've been looking at it and it doesn't seem that way to me.  Even if it was off the ground, when running the fat pad under the foot would be squashed and spread out, as I understand it, definitely bringing the dewclaw into contact with the ground.

mgaguilar

Looks incredible and I can't wait to get it. My one concern is the paint quality. The giga looked great in promo photos as well, but the paint for the in-hand left a bit to be desired.

Bread

In hand images from paleofigures on facebook.

I am shocked how quick we have some in hand photos.

Stegotyranno420

Over9K

Quote from: Bread on December 06, 2023, 02:23:52 AMIn hand images from paleofigures on facebook.

Hmmm... looks like leaning/warping on the base is for sure a thing. Note the left (rearward) foot lifted off the base, and how the whole figure seems to be angled nose-down compared to the previous images.

Flaffy

A clear support rod would've been cheaper and more reliable...

Pliosaurking

While I do like this Rex, I don't really know if I need it. The Botm 1:35 WWD Rex does the job quite well for my definitive 1:35 rex. I would like this figure but I don't really think I have the space for another rex when I need that space for other species.

Bread

Quote from: Over9K on December 06, 2023, 03:16:49 AM
Quote from: Bread on December 06, 2023, 02:23:52 AMIn hand images from paleofigures on facebook.

Hmmm... looks like leaning/warping on the base is for sure a thing. Note the left (rearward) foot lifted off the base, and how the whole figure seems to be angled nose-down compared to the previous images.
Damn, you're right. Good catch!
Quote from: Flaffy on December 06, 2023, 03:19:43 AMA clear support rod would've been cheaper and more reliable...
Agreed. I suggest anyone who has spare clear support rods to use them immediately to prevent the warping.

Also, Paleofigures on facebook stated release for this would be January or February 2024. I wonder how true this may be.

Fembrogon

Regarding the discussion about the height of the 1st toe, ie dewclaw: there does seem to be variance in the length & positioning of the tow in reconstructions. In some cases, the toe hangs low enough that the tip of the claw could possibly brush the ground, even accounting for the height of foot pads. In other cases there's too much distance.

Spoiler

[close]

DefinitelyNOTDilo

Well now, looking at the promo images I had two major concerns, my first was that the detailed pattern would be lost in the final version, so it's nice to see it was translated perfectly! And second, the colors were a little to yellow/orange for my tastes in the promo images, but they seem to have been toned down to shades that, in my opinion look much better. Unfortunately it's not all positive, it's hard to tell from here, but it seems like the coloration on head's keratin was lost, and it has a weird grey patch on the face that is hopefully just an issue with this particular model. All in all, I do want to wait and see what the final production version looks like in reviews and such, but the figure seems very promising and I'll probably try and get my hands on it!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: