News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Eofauna Scientific Research - New for 2024

Started by Concavenator, December 04, 2023, 12:20:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

postsaurischian

Quote from: Over9K on December 06, 2023, 03:16:49 AMHmmm... looks like leaning/warping on the base is for sure a thing. Note the left (rearward) foot lifted off the base, and how the whole figure seems to be angled nose-down compared to the previous images.

I don't think so. The promo pic is a more low angle shot, which makes the impression of a rearing animal for the viewer.
Furthermore the figure wouldn't warp in just a few (cold) days.

SidB

I've had a conversation with one retailer this week and he made an inquiry with the supplier, who informed him that the rex is now in production, so that it looks like U.S. availability should be around February of 2024.

Bread

Quote from: postsaurischian on December 06, 2023, 08:58:05 AM
Quote from: Over9K on December 06, 2023, 03:16:49 AMHmmm... looks like leaning/warping on the base is for sure a thing. Note the left (rearward) foot lifted off the base, and how the whole figure seems to be angled nose-down compared to the previous images.

I don't think so. The promo pic is a more low angle shot, which makes the impression of a rearing animal for the viewer.
Furthermore the figure wouldn't warp in just a few (cold) days.
Originally I thought this too, however zooming in on the rear foot, you can see it hovering oh so slightly.

Tracewyrm!

Quote from: Flaffy on December 06, 2023, 03:19:43 AMA clear support rod would've been cheaper and more reliable...
Hopefully the figure will work well enough with existing PNSO stands. I want to say that most of the warping can be chocked up to transport but either way, this figure will need some support to stay in shape in the long run.
* (It's locked.)

postosuchus

Quote from: Fembrogon on December 06, 2023, 05:28:08 AMRegarding the discussion about the height of the 1st toe, ie dewclaw: there does seem to be variance in the length & positioning of the tow in reconstructions. In some cases, the toe hangs low enough that the tip of the claw could possibly brush the ground, even accounting for the height of foot pads. In other cases there's too much distance.

Spoiler

[close]
and yet, among the images you provided, those in which dewclaw is located most highly may correspond to PNSO theropods, but not EoFauna

postosuchus

although it is possible that the T. rex grounds its claws too much

Concavenator

I don't think there will be any leaning or warping on the base with this figure... precisely because it looks like there's no union between the figure and the base, it seems the figure is simply placed on the base and that's it. If that's so, I'm not sure that will help in any way when it comes to solving the stability issue in the long term, and I would also much rather they'd opted for a PNSO-styled acrylic rod. Hopefully they'll consider it for future theropods.

Quote from: Tracewyrm! on December 06, 2023, 02:26:51 PMHopefully the figure will work well enough with existing PNSO stands.

I hope so too.  ;D

Over9K

Quote from: Bread on December 06, 2023, 02:23:52 AMIn hand images from paleofigures on facebook.

I am shocked how quick we have some in hand photos.

Wait a minute...

That Homer-Simpson-Esque beard shadow around the mouth wasn't there in the promo images...

DinoFan2010

___🦕 🦕 🦖_________

Over9K

At the risk of really seeming like a Debbie Downer...

Is the snout just a tiny bit ursine?

Don't get me wrong, I really like the face on the figure, but I showed my wife the pics and her first comment was "Oh! Looks like a bald Grizzly!"

Now, I can't unsee it.

Saarlooswolfhound

Now that you mention it... it does. I don't mind that though as they are vaguely similar in physique (as similar as a reptile and mammal can be). I think its the upturned snout and lipped teeth, paired with a robust cranium that replicates an ursine appearance.

Pliosaurking

I find when a therapod has prominent lips and a brown or black colour it can sometimes look quite mammalian. The Collecta megalosaurus is a perfect example.

postsaurischian

Quote from: Over9K on December 06, 2023, 08:09:23 PMWait a minute...

That Homer-Simpson-Esque beard shadow around the mouth wasn't there in the promo images...

Quote from: Over9K on December 07, 2023, 04:12:25 AMAt the risk of really seeming like a Debbie Downer...

Don't get me wrong, I really like the face on the figure, but I showed my wife the pics and her first comment was "Oh! Looks like a bald Grizzly!"

Now, I can't unsee it.

It doesn't only seem so :P .

Carnoking

Quote from: Bread on December 04, 2023, 10:49:09 PMNow I know the colors on this Tyrannosaurus are exceptionally well done since majority of the time there is a constant use of earth tones, but hear me out...

Now I thought Rebor's Kiss worked the best for this colorscheme, but I'm tempted to see this done personally...

This is exactly what I was hoping to see but I can't fault Eofauna for doing their own thing and doing it well at that.

Bread

Quote from: Carnoking on December 07, 2023, 11:53:58 AM
Quote from: Bread on December 04, 2023, 10:49:09 PMNow I know the colors on this Tyrannosaurus are exceptionally well done since majority of the time there is a constant use of earth tones, but hear me out...

Now I thought Rebor's Kiss worked the best for this colorscheme, but I'm tempted to see this done personally...

This is exactly what I was hoping to see but I can't fault Eofauna for doing their own thing and doing it well at that.
I think I'll have this done at some point >:D
I'd be happy to also refer an artist for you too if this colorscheme is desirable for you too.

Fembrogon

Quote from: Over9K on December 07, 2023, 04:12:25 AMAt the risk of really seeming like a Debbie Downer...

It's not just you, and it's not just this figure. I've been noticing a LOT of T. rex art/designs in recent years have a vaguely ursine/canine visage.
Honestly I kind of like that. It gives tyrannosaurs a newly relatable look, and reinforces the point that these dinos didn't have to look scary all the time to actually be dangerous. No one in their right mind just walks up to a grizzly.

Over9K

Quote from: postsaurischian on December 07, 2023, 09:00:36 AM

Quote from: Over9K on December 06, 2023, 08:09:23 PMWait a minute...

Now, I can't unsee it.

It doesn't only seem so :P .

EXACTLY! Truth is, I love the figure, can't wait to have it... I just can't stay quiet when I notice things...

Wouldn't it be cool if BOTM shipped the last of the Tyrannosaurs at the same time EoFauna was delivering Sue? Either way, Q1'24 looks to be tyrant-town!

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: Bread on December 06, 2023, 02:23:52 AMIn hand images from paleofigures on facebook.

This just looks better and better the more images get posted, I think it's weird the way everyone seems to photograph it from an above angle when the best angle should be looking up at it like it from the simulated height of a human being looking at it walking towards or away from you.  the colors look even better in this image than in the promo pictures...

SidB

Quote from: CARN0TAURUS on December 11, 2023, 04:37:44 AM

Looks like a winner. No doubt a few will compare it unfavorably on a debatable or even entirely subjective  minor point or two with figures costing two to three times as much, but, like Safari, Eofauna produces figures that are outstanding value for the money, being well researched and produced. This will be a worthy competitor to my lipped PNSO Cameron, when it reaches my door.

This just looks better and better the more images get posted, I think it's weird the way everyone seems to photograph it from an above angle when the best angle should be looking up at it like it from the simulated height of a human being looking at it walking towards or away from you.  the colors look even better in this image than in the promo pictures...

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: