News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

NANMU---new for 2024

Started by dragon53, January 01, 2024, 02:38:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Carnoking on February 09, 2024, 12:59:04 AMWait, does this mean they're doing three variants of this figure?? Add that to the list then!

Says they are just past versions up until this new one.

I think they are getting ahead when we don't even have the first SMART series product.

Cpt Red 3eard

I'm a little worried they're going a bit too hard on this new series. I get they're probably using existing sculpts, but I'd spread these out between more classic releases to make sure that if these don't sell, or aren't well received that it doesn't bite them in the end.

But I'm not super into articulated figures so I'm not the demographic this caters to so what do I know. (I just want a Dominion Therizinosaur and then I'm pretty sure I don't need anything from them unless they make smaller species in 1:35)

But I may break my rule if they do JP 1 raptors or a dilo in 1:18...

Blade-of-the-Moon

Yeah I feel like they are really pushing this line and they haven't even seen how the first release is selling aside from preorders. No in hand reviews either.  Perhaps these are just teases to gauge interest much like other companies?

As we discussed before Nanmu seems like a company with an identity crisis, I'm not certain where they are going .

Halichoeres

Identity crisis or no, since they feinted at making actual dinosaurs, I'm paying attention to them for the first time in years.

The JW and Kong action figures obviously do nothing for me, though.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Concavenator

Quote from: Halichoeres on February 09, 2024, 03:51:50 PMIdentity crisis or no, since they feinted at making actual dinosaurs, I'm paying attention to them for the first time in years.

The JW and Kong action figures obviously do nothing for me, though.

Same here. That is the only reason I keep checking this thread, and hopefully not in vain.  :P

blnadal

Quote from: Cpt Red 3eard on February 09, 2024, 05:01:30 AMI'm a little worried they're going a bit too hard on this new series. I get they're probably using existing sculpts, but I'd spread these out between more classic releases to make sure that if these don't sell, or aren't well received that it doesn't bite them in the end.

But I'm not super into articulated figures so I'm not the demographic this caters to so what do I know. (I just want a Dominion Therizinosaur and then I'm pretty sure I don't need anything from them unless they make smaller species in 1:35)

I think they're done with PVC Jurassic 1/35 series.. everybody asks for Therizinosaurus and Indominus 2.0 and Nanmu is very rude answering
I'm putting my hopes on Dino Dream making a Therizino to go with their new Giga and for smaller species in 1/35 I'm gonna print 3d models

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: blnadal on February 09, 2024, 06:39:44 PM
Quote from: Cpt Red 3eard on February 09, 2024, 05:01:30 AMI'm a little worried they're going a bit too hard on this new series. I get they're probably using existing sculpts, but I'd spread these out between more classic releases to make sure that if these don't sell, or aren't well received that it doesn't bite them in the end.

I think they're done with PVC Jurassic 1/35 series.. everybody asks for Therizinosaurus and Indominus 2.0 and Nanmu is very rude answering
I'm putting my hopes on Dino Dream making a Therizino to go with their new Giga and for smaller species in 1/35 I'm gonna print 3d models

I saw them getting asked, then they started getting harassed. So I understand the rudeness to a degree.

DinoDream may indeed make one, or Prime 1 in a smaller scale in addition to it's large statue series.

blnadal

thomasw100

It is surprising that T-rex got the most votes. As if we had no T-rex as of yet from Nanmu. Certainly the community that has voted here is not overlapping to a large extent with the community on this forum.

Carnoking

Only posting the poll in one place runs the risk of sampling bias. I don't know what percentage of Nanmu's sales come from the Chinese market but it's disheartening to see them pulling for more T. rex offerings when it seems Nanmu will be relying solely on their input.

Sim

What I find surprising is that there are people who just want more of what already exists.  Tyrannosaurus has plenty of good models in the size range Nanmu makes their figures in, with PNSO's Cameron being recent and Eofauna's Tyrannosaurus upcoming.  Plus there's REBOR's Kiss and Tusk and W-Dragon's.  As for Spinosaurus, PNSO's excellent most recent version was released recently and there's the upcoming Mesozoic Life version.  It does seem like there isn't much overlap between the sample that answered the poll and, well, anywhere else I've seen in the prehistoric animal figure community.  It could also be though that the results would be different if people were allowed to vote for everything they were interested in.

I understand wanting more than one figure of a species if they are in different scales, I'm interested in having some of my favourite smaller animals in both a large scale and a small scale that makes them in scale with larger animals.  I find the choices in the poll quite disappointing though.  No dromaeosaurids, the only ones that I might have been interested in are Stegosauria (if a stegosaurian that needs a good figure e.g. Tuojiangosaurus), Ceratopsidae (if a ceratopsid that needs a good figure e.g. Chasmosaurus) and Sauropoda (if a sauropod that I'm interested in e.g. Amargasaurus, Shunosaurus).  If Nanmu does make a scientifically accurate Tyrannosaurus, maybe that will lead to more unique animals later.

Carnoking

Your interpretation seems generous. I took this poll as people wanting more JP inspired T. rex or Spinosaurus figures, quite literally more of the same!

I suppose if people are really excited about their articulated line they could be voting for poseable JP figures but I'm not sure if that's what they're driving at here.

dragon53

I was hoping for Nanmu Dreadnoughtus.... ::)

Takama

I will just repeat what I commented on  there post.

"OK RIDDLE ME THIS, Why do you bother selling your products outside the Nation you call home if you "WILL NOT" let outsiders have their say in polls like this?"

I anticipate they will take it down but oh well, at this rate they seem to be the chinese version of REBOR (in the old days)

Concavenator

avatar_Sim @Sim Nanmu already made a Shunosaurus.

Faelrin

Even the instagram comments are filled with people wanting to buy more T. rex figures, as if they don't already have enough. Though some are expressing disappointment in the results, and that the poll was kept to only the Chinese market. It's especially weird considering their figures are based on the Jurassic designs, which the domestic market for is in the US.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Blade-of-the-Moon

As Carnoking said, they only opened this up to Chinese voting? That's going to have pretty skewed results.  They also said there is a difference between what is wanted and what is paying.  How do they know these votes are actual paying customers? Lastly, it says "may be "added to the production line so if some way one of the others won it's still no guarantee.

They don't have the Smart series Velociraptors released yet, I can't say I want more of something I don't have in hand and be honest.

I also feel like maybe people voted on this based on name recognition? The general public knows Tyrannosaurus maybe Spinosaurus too, but the rest they have no idea. Theri is called Freddy Krueger and Quetz is a pterodactyl/big bird by most adults here.

This sounds like a way to just tell their customers we are going to do whatever we want as the data seems to reflect that anyway.  Which is fine it is their business. I'll just save more money. ;)

Sim

Quote from: Carnoking on February 11, 2024, 03:17:25 PMI suppose if people are really excited about their articulated line they could be voting for poseable JP figures but I'm not sure if that's what they're driving at here.
I hadn't thought about that!  I find JP-based figures so boring that I forgot Nanmu was doing those articulated figures.

Quote from: Concavenator on February 11, 2024, 05:15:21 PMavatar_Sim @Sim Nanmu already made a Shunosaurus.
Yes, but in resin form, right?  I expect that if they make figures based on real prehistoric animals now they would make them in standard plastic.  Also, when Nanmu first posted about wanting to make scientific figures they included an image of Shunosaurus...  I'm happy with Safari's Shunosaurus but if Nanmu made a "toy" version I might replace Safari's with it.  Although from what I've been seeing Nanmu comes accross as somewhat unpleasant in how they communicate with others.  It doesn't make me keen to support them.

Carnoking

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 11, 2024, 05:39:09 PMWhich is fine it is their business. I'll just save more money. ;)

I imagine if they opt to just keep cranking out more rex figures based on  a lot of collectors will start to feel this way. If you asked me, they nailed the heck out of their last Spino and rex releases, so much so that any new JP inspired model offerings from Nanmu or any other company would feel superfluous. If they do indeed decide to make more, I very likely would not purchase them.

Of course, an articulated version could be interesting to see if their smart series proves to be worth its salt but then what do I know, I'm not from China :p

Carnoking

And again, amidst all this talk of what sells, I still can't wrap my head around them producing what is basically just "big ape" and thinking it would outsell a dinosaur people have been basically harassing them over for years now

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: