News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

HAOLONGGOOD - New for 2024

Started by postsaurischian, January 14, 2024, 10:31:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bmathison1972

I know we have only this one pic so far, but there is a near zero percent change I'm replacing my Safari version for it.

thomasw100

It appears that Haolonggood seems to have a rather limited color palette at their disposal. Many figures use a range of different colors, but the hues of many of them seem to be mostly the same. Like this base color green is essentially the same for Stegosaurus, Maiasaura, Mamenchisaurus, Amargasaurus and now also Camarasaurus. Also the base green color of some older models is also very similar, like for example Ouranosaurus, Dacentrurus. The overall color impression varies somewhat between these figures, but this seems to be largely the result of other colors being worked in. Like we see this effect nicely at work for the green Stegosaurus, which looks different and somewhat more brown. But nevertheless the base green used in all models mentioned is virtually the same. And I do not really understand why this is the case. Like I got quite a few Vallejo model paints for doing some simple fixes, mostly greens and browns and they have so many tones just of brown and green, this must be hundred or more. So it is possible to use distinctly different base colors of just brown and green, and PNSO does this to great effect. But for some strange reason Haolonggood seems to be restricted to just very few. I think they need to invest in a richer color palette right now before people say that all of their models look very much the same, being variations on the same few themes.

thomasw100

Quote from: Turkeysaurus on August 04, 2024, 07:54:24 PMTo be fair, most of us thought PNSO Tyrannotitan coloration was inspired by Haolonggood. Now HLG takes those colors.

It's like cold "Bone Wars" going on between two companies.

First they had same Dinosaurs in same year and now same colors.

It would be good if PNSO start making 1/35 sauropods.

I have been wondering for a why PNSO does not make large 1:35 scale sauropods. They made this one huge vinyl figure, the Huanghetitan, years ago, but nothing after that. Maybe it is impossible or very difficult or very expensive to make very large figures with the very fine and crisp surface texture that characterizes their most recent figures.

Turkeysaurus

Quote from: thomasw100 on August 05, 2024, 08:26:48 PMI have been wondering for a why PNSO does not make large 1:35 scale sauropods. They made this one huge vinyl figure, the Huanghetitan, years ago, but nothing after that. Maybe it is impossible or very difficult or very expensive to make very large figures with the very fine and crisp surface texture that characterizes their most recent figures.

Probably it's safer to produce something in their usual price range.

Maybe not a lot of people are willing to spend extra for a sauropod. Shipment cost a lot more too.

I hope Haolonggood, Rebor , W-dragon etc. Sauropods all sell well enough to encourage all to do more.

Elengassen

Quote from: thomasw100 on August 05, 2024, 08:26:48 PM
Quote from: Turkeysaurus on August 04, 2024, 07:54:24 PMTo be fair, most of us thought PNSO Tyrannotitan coloration was inspired by Haolonggood. Now HLG takes those colors.

It's like cold "Bone Wars" going on between two companies.

First they had same Dinosaurs in same year and now same colors.

It would be good if PNSO start making 1/35 sauropods.

I have been wondering for a why PNSO does not make large 1:35 scale sauropods. They made this one huge vinyl figure, the Huanghetitan, years ago, but nothing after that. Maybe it is impossible or very difficult or very expensive to make very large figures with the very fine and crisp surface texture that characterizes their most recent figures.

The Lingwulong and Alamosaurus are both fairly sizeable figures. True, they haven't made any other large sauropods recently, but then again they haven't made much of anything recently apart from theropods.
One day we will know the truth about Spinosaurus... but not today.

Flaffy

Quote from: bmathison1972 on August 05, 2024, 08:05:00 PMI know we have only this one pic so far, but there is a near zero percent change I'm replacing my Safari version for it.

Very unlikely to replace my Safari version either. But I may be willing to add the HLG one to my collection if it's C. supremus or C. grandis. Especially considering I already plan to get the HLG S. ungulatus when I already have a perfectly good PNSO S. stenops.

bmathison1972

I am on the fence about HLG S. ungulatus as I have Safari S. stenops and since dinos are not my focus, not sure I need more than one species per genus.
At least with the Stegos it seems there is more to separate them than size. Unless HLG specifically markets their Camarasaurus as something other than S. lentus, I won't get it.

SidB

Quote from: bmathison1972 on August 05, 2024, 08:05:00 PMI know we have only this one pic so far, but there is a near zero percent change I'm replacing my Safari version for it.
Even if the HLG Camaro has a superior execution of scalation to the Safari one that I own, that's not a definite game changer for me as the scales wouldn't be actually visible at 1/35 anyways, as I understand. If they are obviously visible, even minutely,  that's an artistic achievement, not an absolute necessity, accuracy-wise at 1/35.

Turkeysaurus

Carnoking

Both fine choices, whatever floats your boat

Joliezac

The brightly colored eyes still bother me on these figures. I'm also not crazy about the color schemes. I think I'll pick up the brown Amargasaurus though.

thomasw100

Lana Time Shop has the Camarasaurus already available for purchase. Limited time price is 51.99 USD. Free shipping to central Europe.

Paleo Flo

I think I prefer the red/brown Camarasaurus.
I like it a lot and that would be my first model of this underdog sauropod. I saw it in the museums of London and Muenster and I would like to have a toy/model of all the species I saw in "real life".
Welcome to Florassic Park...my collection:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=10638.0

Blade-of-the-Moon

I don't know which one I prefer..they both look like other choices I've made even in sauropods. The Red/Brown looks like my Apatosaurus and the green looks my Dicraeosaurus.  :-\

Turkeysaurus

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on August 06, 2024, 07:23:56 AMI don't know which one I prefer..they both look like other choices I've made even in sauropods. The Red/Brown looks like my Apatosaurus and the green looks my Dicraeosaurus.  :-\

Practical reason:

Upcoming sauropods by any brand most likely to have green more than orange-ish. Green along with Brown & grey default sauropod colors. The more you choose green, more you will have same problem in future.

Counter Practical reason argument:

Orange-ish colors are not the default dinosaur colors in dinosaur media so it might get more attention to having similar colors compared to classic green.

Nerd reason:

"Camarasaurus is commonly found at the same sites as Allosaurus, Apatosaurus, Stegosaurus, and Diplodocus" (Wiki)

Similar colors for similar environment makes sense.

Diplodocus skin might be yellow to ginger and again from  same environment

Counter Nerd Reason Argument:

Green's head look oddly similar to Raphael from Teeneage Mutant Ninja Turtles thanks to its shape & red around eyes.

Quiversaurus

Quote from: Turkeysaurus on August 06, 2024, 03:36:55 AMSize: 45 x 21 x 7.5 cm

These guys look really handsome to me. Not entirely sure yet about the accuracy, but from what we've seen from previous product images, I'll reserve judgment on the colours till I see in-hand pics and reviews.

The green "Buck"-inspired one has my attention!

Turkeysaurus

Today I'm forced to retire from my hobby.

Avenge this fallen comrad, go buy more toys.

Jose S.M.

They look great! I don't "need" them since the safari one I have is great and don't see reason for replacement but in happy these were made for sure.

thomasw100

Quote from: Turkeysaurus on August 06, 2024, 01:31:27 PMToday I'm forced to retire from my hobby.

Avenge this fallen comrad, go buy more toys.

Is there something we can do to help you?

Blade-of-the-Moon

If they could apply a wash or something to the lighter color ones to bring out the detail more they would look different and more realistic.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: