News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd - New for 2024

Started by Halichoeres, February 01, 2024, 10:38:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gwangi

Quote from: thebermuda303 on July 25, 2024, 10:13:24 PM
Quote from: Gwangi on July 25, 2024, 10:11:24 PM
Quote from: thebermuda303 on July 25, 2024, 10:07:23 PMNot gonna lie I really like this lineup, a lot of people hat on nanuq but I love every single bit of it. Megalosaurid I'm not particularly interested in but it does look gorgeous, austroraptor is another banger. I don't buy in to that feline being an asiatic lion or a maneless African lion. Cave paintings often show Panthera Spelea with that mohawk of fur on its neck so that's my bet. If it's not a cave lion then it's a good stand in at least.

Over on the Animal Toy Forum Shane confirmed that the cat is extant.
Just checked it, should've done it before writing that message xD. It does make a good cave lion stand in though

No worries, I made the same mistake.  ;D I agree that it would make for a good cave lion.

stargatedalek

My guesses. Some don't even count as guesses really.

Gwangi

Could the mystery theropod be a species of megaraptor?

stargatedalek

Quote from: Gwangi on July 26, 2024, 01:36:00 AMCould the mystery theropod be a species of megaraptor?
It's possible, though certainly wouldn't be my first guess (at least not if they went with the basal Tyrannosaur placement). With the head at that angle I wouldn't be surprised if this was Allosaurus.

Sim

The one on the left is definitely an unenlagiine and there's no reason to think it isn't Austroraptor.  The one on the right is a megalosaurid.  Allosauroids have crests on their snout and this figure doesn't.  Well, except for Sinraptor but the figure doesn't look like it.  The hands are too reduced to be a megaraptoran I think.  Safari has a perfectly good Allosaurus that happens to be one of their best-sellers, there's no reason to think the figure is an Allosaurus.  Especially when it lacks the snout crests.

Gwangi

Quote from: Sim on July 26, 2024, 01:59:47 AMThe one on the left is definitely an unenlagiine and there's no reason to think it isn't Austroraptor.  The one on the right is a megalosaurid.  Allosauroids have crests on their snout and this figure doesn't.  Well, except for Sinraptor but the figure doesn't look like it.  The hands are too reduced to be a megaraptoran I think.  Safari has a perfectly good Allosaurus that happens to be one of their best-sellers, there's no reason to think the figure is an Allosaurus.  Especially when it lacks the snout crests.

I feel pretty confident that it's a megalosaurid too but the vulture wing is obscuring a lot of the hands.

Sim

Quote from: Gwangi on July 26, 2024, 02:02:47 AMI feel pretty confident that it's a megalosaurid too but the vulture wing is obscuring a lot of the hands.
In post number 95 of this thread we get a glimpse of the hands and they look small.  I would expect a megaraptoran's large claws to extend the shape of the hands more than what is shown in the image.

SpartanSquat

Pretty cool stuff! I hope we will get close shots and what are these!
Beside the nanunqsaurus: The unenlagid Im between austroraptor and buitreraptor. The theropod from the right, my bets: Neovenator, megalosaurus or torvosaurus. But like you said the lammergeier wing is hiding the claws of the hand, so it could be a tyrannosaur.

Saarlooswolfhound

The Nanuqsaurus looks a bit like Appa from Avatar the Last Airbender. ;)

Gwangi

Quote from: Sim on July 26, 2024, 02:06:58 AM
Quote from: Gwangi on July 26, 2024, 02:02:47 AMI feel pretty confident that it's a megalosaurid too but the vulture wing is obscuring a lot of the hands.
In post number 95 of this thread we get a glimpse of the hands and they look small.  I would expect a megaraptoran's large claws to extend the shape of the hands more than what is shown in the image.

I see that now. Missed it before.

John

The megalosaur is my favorite so far. :)
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

stargatedalek

Quote from: Sim on July 26, 2024, 01:59:47 AMThe one on the left is definitely an unenlagiine and there's no reason to think it isn't Austroraptor.  The one on the right is a megalosaurid.  Allosauroids have crests on their snout and this figure doesn't.  Well, except for Sinraptor but the figure doesn't look like it.  The hands are too reduced to be a megaraptoran I think.  Safari has a perfectly good Allosaurus that happens to be one of their best-sellers, there's no reason to think the figure is an Allosaurus.  Especially when it lacks the snout crests.
It could be Rahonavis, or any number of Dromaeosaurs or similar animals with lithe or unknown skulls. Linheraptor, Imperobator, a number of basal troodonts, etc. etc.

I agree Austroraptor is most likely, mostly due to name recognition and the small forelimbs, but it's not like it's the only thing it could reasonably be based on.

I don't pay much attention to large theropods so I wasn't aware they had an updated Allosaurus. But I think my broader point still stands that at that angle it's difficult to accurately judge the shape of the skull, especially anything that would normally be effecting the outline in profile.

thebermuda303

That mystery theropod is megalosaurus. Safari confirmed it on their instagram.

Carnoking

Quote from: thebermuda303 on July 26, 2024, 11:02:41 AMThat mystery theropod is megalosaurus. Safari confirmed it on their instagram.

So they did. Even with PNSO's recent release, it's nice to see Megalosaurus getting more attention in model form. There's something about this figure that feels like a throwback to the golden age of Carnegie line releases. Very excited to see more of it.

Gwangi

Quote from: thebermuda303 on July 26, 2024, 11:02:41 AMThat mystery theropod is megalosaurus. Safari confirmed it on their instagram.

Almost makes me wish I didn't get PNSO's. But Megalosaurus is such an important dinosaur and one that I've waited so long for good figures for that I wouldn't mind having another.

suspsy

I'll pass on the Megalosaurus. I have no doubt that it's superior to the CollectA one, but I'm simply not a big enough fan of that genus to want a second toy of it.

But like I said, I'm definitely getting the Austroraptor and the Nanuqsaurus.

Oh! And this was my 10,000th post!
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

bmathison1972

Megalosaurus IS a new taxon for me, so I am getting it (along with the Austroraptor). It's the Nanuqsaurus I am not getting, as I recently got CollectA's.

I am hesitant to dredge up this conversation again, and my apologies upfront to Shane for doing so lol, but this is the thing that bugs me about Safari's announcement and release schedules. Had I known going into 2024 that both CollectA and Safari were going to make Nanuqy, I would have waited for Safari's to come out, regardless if it took longer to physically release. But CollectA announced theirs. They released theirs. Still no others? OK, I bought theirs.

And I am not criticizing Safari's plan, just saying how I would approach buying figures if I knew with ample time what was coming out in a given year.

suspsy

Yeah, not gonna lie, I would love it if Safari was able to return to their old method of revealing new toys. It would make planning on the part of collectors easier. That said, I'm sure it's a case of easier said than done.

Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Flaffy

Seems like those that guessed Austroraptor and Nanuqsaurus were correct! (also confirmed by Safari ltd on IG)

Megalosaurus is a nice surprise! Nicely coincides with its 200th year anniversary, assuming the figure actually releases this year. I still have yet to pick up the PNSO version due to the liplessness, so Safari's lipped Megalosaurus will likely be the one I pick up barring any potential scientific inaccuracies when better pics/reviews come out. The paint is certainly a step up compared to Safari's usual work as well, reminds me of an Australian water dragon.

Primeval12

So it's Megalosaurus after all. I really like it so I will be getting it. I also love the Austroraptor. The Nanuqsaurus is the least good of the three but I will be getting it because it's Appa colored! Overall, Excellent lineup by Safari this year :)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: