News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd - New for 2024

Started by Halichoeres, February 01, 2024, 10:38:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gwangi

Quote from: marisaura on July 25, 2024, 07:54:17 PMthe raptor and the mystery theropod look fantastic. the feather crest is a nice touch that sets the raptor apart from the others safari has made, and the paint job on the other theropod looks to be one of their best. looking forward to getting the details on these!

Those are my favorites as well, along with the osprey and mahi-mahi.

Is the cat supposed to be a prehistoric species? Cave lion perhaps? If so then that one piques my interest too!

bmathison1972

Quote from: Gwangi on July 25, 2024, 07:59:23 PM
Quote from: marisaura on July 25, 2024, 07:54:17 PMthe raptor and the mystery theropod look fantastic. the feather crest is a nice touch that sets the raptor apart from the others safari has made, and the paint job on the other theropod looks to be one of their best. looking forward to getting the details on these!

Is the cat supposed to be a prehistoric species? Cave lion perhaps? If so then that one piques my interest too!

I guess an [extant] lion on the ATF and Shane said it's not a lioness and nothing he has seen another example of as a toy/figure. So I am speculating some kind of prehistoric cat or cat-like marsupial or carnivoran. But yeah, it's really piqued my interest, too.

EDIT: Nevermind. I am just going to chill and wait for formal reveal. I have patience for reveals, but once something is revealaed, I have no patience for its release LOL  :P

Gwangi

Quote from: bmathison1972 on July 25, 2024, 08:11:06 PM
Quote from: Gwangi on July 25, 2024, 07:59:23 PM

I guess an [extant] lion on the ATF and Shane said it's not a lioness and nothing he has seen another example of as a toy/figure. So I am speculating some kind of prehistoric cat or cat-like marsupial or carnivoran. But yeah, it's really piqued my interest, too.

Looks like it has some kind of a crest of hair on top of the head. That's something we often see in paleo-art depicting cave lions.

Artwork by Marina Lezcano

bmathison1972

Gwangi

Quote from: bmathison1972 on July 25, 2024, 08:16:11 PMavatar_Gwangi @Gwangi - go to the ATF discussion  8)

I just did and then came back here to correct myself. All well, it was a good guess.  :))

EDIT: I'm guessing it's a maneless male lion, or maybe an Asiatic lion.

bmathison1972

Quote from: Gwangi on July 25, 2024, 08:16:53 PM
Quote from: bmathison1972 on July 25, 2024, 08:16:11 PMavatar_Gwangi @Gwangi - go to the ATF discussion  8)

I just did and then came back here to correct myself. All well, it was a good guess.  :))

EDIT: I'm guessing it's a maneless male lion, or maybe an Asiatic lion.

I'd get an Asiatic lion, since my lion and lioness are both African. But at this point, I am gonna chill and wait LOL

SenSx

They all look very good, from sculpt to paint app.
I wonder what that theropod is.

Flaffy

I thought Asiatic lions had manes as well?

Gwangi

Quote from: Flaffy on July 25, 2024, 08:28:40 PMI thought Asiatic lions had manes as well?

They do but they're often sparse.

Sim

I'm certain the unenlagiine is Austroraptor.  The proportions are consistent with it rather than Buitreraptor, and all other unenlagiines would have no reason to be made instead of Austroraptor.  It looks like a must-have!  I'm very happy we're finally getting an unenlagiine replica (instead of an action figure)!  I wasn't sure it would ever happen!

I too think the tyrannosauroid is Nanuqsaurus, which I wouldn't have expected from Safari.  I guess because their feathered Tyrannosaurus is their best-selling figure, Safari thought it could be a good idea to make another feathered tyrannosaurid, and Nanuqsaurus was chosen.

For the last non-avian theropod, I think it's a megalosaurid, Safari's first.  If it's not Torvosaurus or Megalosaurus, then perhaps it's Afrovenator?  I'm keen to learn what it is!

suspsy

I'm totally down for Austroraptor. Already got and reviewed the CollectA Nanuqsaurus, but this one is clearly bigger, so it'll scale better with many of my other tyrannosaurs. As for the third theropod, I'll hold out for confirmation. I have no interest in another Megalosaurus or Torvosaurus, but Afrovenator would be keen.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Sim

Quote from: Flaffy on July 25, 2024, 07:05:20 PMNot too fond of the Austroraptor(?)'s colour scheme. Awfully similar to the now retired Citipati.

The Austroraptor's colouration isn't what I would imagine on it, but it doesn't look bad.  It does look very similar to the Citipati's, but I think some of the shades might end up being different in better photos.  Also, the Safari Austroraptor is beautiful and it knows it.

thebermuda303

Not gonna lie I really like this lineup, a lot of people hat on nanuq but I love every single bit of it. Megalosaurid I'm not particularly interested in but it does look gorgeous, austroraptor is another banger. I don't buy in to that feline being an asiatic lion or a maneless African lion. Cave paintings often show Panthera Spelea with that mohawk of fur on its neck so that's my bet. If it's not a cave lion then it's a good stand in at least.

Gwangi

Quote from: thebermuda303 on July 25, 2024, 10:07:23 PMNot gonna lie I really like this lineup, a lot of people hat on nanuq but I love every single bit of it. Megalosaurid I'm not particularly interested in but it does look gorgeous, austroraptor is another banger. I don't buy in to that feline being an asiatic lion or a maneless African lion. Cave paintings often show Panthera Spelea with that mohawk of fur on its neck so that's my bet. If it's not a cave lion then it's a good stand in at least.

Over on the Animal Toy Forum Shane confirmed that the cat is extant.

thebermuda303

Quote from: Gwangi on July 25, 2024, 10:11:24 PM
Quote from: thebermuda303 on July 25, 2024, 10:07:23 PMNot gonna lie I really like this lineup, a lot of people hat on nanuq but I love every single bit of it. Megalosaurid I'm not particularly interested in but it does look gorgeous, austroraptor is another banger. I don't buy in to that feline being an asiatic lion or a maneless African lion. Cave paintings often show Panthera Spelea with that mohawk of fur on its neck so that's my bet. If it's not a cave lion then it's a good stand in at least.

Over on the Animal Toy Forum Shane confirmed that the cat is extant.
Just checked it, should've done it before writing that message xD. It does make a good cave lion stand in though

Stegotyranno420

the megalosaur is mega-cool.
I love the "modern paleoart" vibe it gives (?).
The others... others have said similar

Patrx

Really stoked about these, the Austroraptor in particular looks lovely so far. I'd quite like a closer look at that mystery megalosaur!

FerretGoose

I love the Megalosaur and the Austroraptor, they're my favorites! And the Nanuqsaurus is nice too, its colors remind me of Appa from Avatar the last Airbender  ;D

Primeval12

Quote from: FerretGoose on July 25, 2024, 10:45:17 PMI love the Megalosaur and the Austroraptor, they're my favorites! And the Nanuqsaurus is nice too, its colors remind me of Appa from Avatar the last Airbender  ;D

APPA!!!!

Faelrin

I'm most excited about the dromaeosaur, the bearded vulture (I hope it sizes nicely with my 1/18 BotM Velociraptor), and the big fish.

If the dromaeosaur is indeed Austroraptor, I think the green plumage suits it rather well with its forested environment and potential fish diet.

Might pick up the lion to stand in for a cave lion. Still don't have one on the market, so gotta make do with what one can I guess.

Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: