News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Kaiyodo - New for 2024

Started by Faelrin, March 22, 2024, 07:52:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faelrin

Nothing too exciting for now, but a Nature Tales statue of Tyrannosaurus:

More info and images (tossed into google translate) from here:
https://kaiyodo.co.jp/items/nature-tales/nt006/

Spoiler
A great tyrant who ruled during the Mesozoic era Feel the breath of the dinosaur king with this large statue! Under the direction of Shinobu Matsumura's modeling, "Nature Tales" is a series of large-scale statues that can be viewed as full-fledged art, presenting all kinds of creatures on earth in unique shapes unique to Kaiyodo. Finally, transcending time and space, the carnivorous dinosaur appears from the Americas during the Mesozoic Era!! Tyrannosaurus Rex, the "king of dinosaurs" with a maximum length of 13 meters, stood at the top of the food chain at the time. The fierce figure that twists and roars has been created in an impressive size with a total height of 32.5 cm. Luxurious specifications include a wooden base, and gloves and a certificate are also included to ensure you handle this item with care. Please take a look at the gigantic creature that has been brought back to life in modern times with its amazing modeling and painting expression. 

-The rugged texture of the scales that cover the whole body, including the differences between parts, is expressed to be convincing as a real creature. Furthermore, the explanation for the feathers, which even experts still have no idea about, was interpreted as striped feathers growing along the spine from the top of the head to the tip of the tail, giving it a dignified appearance befitting its name, King Rex. 

-The wide-open jaws are lined with sharp teeth that cut through the flesh of the prey, and even the muscles in the mouth that produce the terrifying masticating force and the slimy feel inside the mouth have been painted. 

-It is said that even his small hands, which did not match the size of his entire body, were strong enough to support his gigantic body. The structure is similar to that of modern bird legs, and even the solid flesh at the base has been created. 

-The head of the triceratops, which was its prey, is also visible under its feet as it firmly steps on the ground. The contrast between the faded color of the scales and the bones peeking out from under the peeled scales emphasizes the dinosaur king's sense of life.

Size:
W31 cm × H32.5 cm × D47 cm 

Material:
Polystone

Accessories:
-Wood-like pedestal (With signature and serial number)
-Postcard (Shinobu Matsumura rough sketch)
-Original gloves
-Certificate of work
-Limited quantity of 300 pieces worldwide

JAN (product code): 

Prototype production:
Shinobu Matsumura

Suggested retail price Price including tax: 55,000 yen
Price excluding tax: 50,000 yen
Release date: Scheduled to be released in September 2024
[close]
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Flaffy

Flaffy

avatar_brettnj @brettnj tagging to see if you might have more insight into what the deal with these are.

Paleofiguras is giving the following IDs:
- Tyrannosaurus
- Triceratops
- Patagotitan
- Patagotitan skeleton
- Patagotitan skeleton in matrix 4950 JPY

Might be tied to some special exhibit? Would've been cool to see contemporaneous fauna instead like Tyrannotitan, Genyodectes and Chubutisaurus.

Ludodactylus

I didn't see the Tyrannosaurus at first glance and wondered if Kaiyodo was trying something different with this set. But nope, it's there.
"The most popular exhibits in any natural history museum are, without doubt, the dinosaurs. These creatures' popularity grows each year, partly because of the recent resurgence of dinosaur movies, but also because a skeleton of a full-sized Tyrannosaurus rex still has the ability, even 65 million years after its death, to chill us to the bone." - Ray Harryhausen

brettnj

I e-mailed both my main and new figure sources this morning.

The fossil makes me lean toward these being either venue or event limited issues.

Will update asap.

Flaffy

Update: May very well be a tie-in to this upcoming exhbit. Which seems to be the same one as the London NHM Patagotitan exhibit.

Sim

I was excited for new Kaiyodo figures, but then I saw the selection and it's so dull.  Patagotitan makes sense but did they really need to make five versions of it?  I appreciate the Triceratops as it looks like it will be the definitive Kaiyodo Triceratops, and to give credit to the Tyrannosaurus, it's in an interesting pose.  I don't understand why it's so hard for Kaiyodo to make an accurate non-skeleton Velociraptor?  It's almost as popular as Tyrannosaurus and I think it could have been made in one of Kaiyodo's recent sets, instead of one of the five Patagotitan here for example...

Flaffy

Quote from: Sim on May 16, 2024, 03:41:00 PMI was excited for new Kaiyodo figures, but then I saw the selection and it's so dull.  Patagotitan makes sense but did they really need to make five versions of it?  I appreciate the Triceratops as it looks like it will be the definitive Kaiyodo Triceratops, and to give credit to the Tyrannosaurus, it's in an interesting pose.  I don't understand why it's so hard for Kaiyodo to make an accurate non-skeleton Velociraptor?  It's almost as popular as Tyrannosaurus and I think it could have been made in one of Kaiyodo's recent sets, instead of one of the five Patagotitan here for example...

I agree 5 of the same dinosaur are excessive. At least they made an in flesh reconstruction this time... I don't usually collect skeletons. Still salty about the Gorgosaurus skeleton from the last exhbit exclusive set. The more perplexing part of this new set is the inclusion of Triceratops and Tyrannosaurus again, as if Kaiyodo hadn't made enough of those two already ::)

CityRaptor

Well, technically it is 4 Patagotitan figures split into two molds, flesh and skeletal....hmm, reminds me of Dinotales Series 7, where that was done to Camarasaurus....

The fifth Patagotitan is not part of the set, but something separate.

Quote from: Ludodactylus on May 16, 2024, 02:27:49 PMI didn't see the Tyrannosaurus at first glance and wondered if Kaiyodo was trying something different with this set. But nope, it's there.

"There must always be a Tyrannosaur." - probably someone at Kaiyodo. 
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Dusty Wren

As soon as I saw the subject line of Brett's email about a new Kaiyodo dinosaur set, I said to myself, "Bet it includes a Tyrannosaurus rex and a Triceratops." Lo and behold, it does! That gave me a laugh this morning.
Check out my customs thread!

brettnj

The t-rex looks like a young'n...

brettnj

Quote from: Dusty Wren on May 16, 2024, 04:07:27 PMAs soon as I saw the subject line of Brett's email about a new Kaiyodo dinosaur set, I said to myself, "Bet it includes a Tyrannosaurus rex and a Triceratops." Lo and behold, it does! That gave me a laugh this morning.

That's why I didn't surround the subject line entry with more asterisks and included no exclamation points (I had a lot of punctuation in the subject line when Kaiyodo released the extinct animal set a few years ago because I knew there'd be excitement over the subjects (And it turned out to be the most popular set we've ever offered with 40+ sold.)...).  I knew the subject choices would be considered mostly lackluster and, though any new Kaiyodo set is worthy of at least some excitement, of  didn't want to set anyone up to be disappointed.

brettnj

And while we're here, does everyone know the Dinoland model kits have been re-released? Of course we can get them.

https://kaiyodo-kochi.stores.jp/?category_id=6129a6ca20239766ce7a7515

Thanks.
Brett

Halichoeres

Kaiyodo has gotten so boring.

Just for fun, I asked my collection spreadsheet for the release dates of all my Kaiyodo figures (leaving out a few older ones whose release dates I don't know). I've added just one new Kaiyodo figure in the last seven years! The Extinct for a Reason set from 2022 was pretty decent, to be fair, just not in my purview (although it might have been if it had included some of the Paleozoic animals from the book series).

2000   Triops
2001   Sinemys
2001   Archaeopteryx
2001   Compsognathus
2001   Anhanguera
2001   Struthiomimus
2001   Tanystropheus
2001   Sauropelta
2001   Pteraspis
2001   Psychopyge
2001   Bothriolepis
2001   Axelrodichthys
2001   Axelrodichthys
2001   Diplocaulus
2001   Eurypterus
2001   Rayonnoceras
2001   Cladoselache
2001   Cladoselache
2001   Pachydiscus
2002   Maiasaura
2002   Trochosaurus
2002   Lystrosaurus
2002   Rutiodon
2002   Tupandactylus (=Tapejara imperator)
2002   "Kitadanisaurus"
2002   Hemicyclaspis
2002   Pleurocystites
2002   Plesiosaurus
2003   Meganeura
2003   Pteranodon
2003   Eryon
2003   Douvilleiceras
2003   Xenacanthus
2004   Psittacosaurus
2004   Oviraptor
2004   Eryops
2004   Ceraurinella
2006   Protoceratops
2006   Dsungaripterus
2006   Polyptychoceras
2006   Eusthenopteron
2006   Metriorhynchus
2007   Nipponites
2015   Dimetrodon
2015   Triarthrus
2015   Opabinia
2015   Bothriolepis
2015   Ichthyostega
2015   Pterygotus
2015   Ichthyosaurus
2015   Eusthenopteron
2015   Plesiosaurus
2016   Yi
2016   Parasaurolophus
2016   Fukuiraptor
2022   Ornithomimus

As a side note, in retrospect 2001 was probably the best year ever for collectors of oddball non-dinosaur prehistorics.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

brettnj

The event/release is in July.

There is also a bronze finish set of the four sculpts available with a presale ticket available now.
https://giantdinos-ex.com/ticket/#special_ticket_2

Thanks.
Brett

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.