You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

The dodgy Papo knock-offs are finally here!

Started by Horridus, April 07, 2013, 10:34:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Horridus

Rejoice!

OK, so I've only seen the one for now, but it made me laugh. I located it in a branch of The Works (a discount book shop) in Crawley. Reminds me rather of the Salvatt range in terms of nearly-there-but-not-quite copying (check out the old Favorite resins on the tag, too). Unlike the real Papo Allosaurus, the jaw on this one will open up all the way down to the neck. It's available with different colour schemes, too - another one I saw was more green.

If you've seen any other dodgy Papo knock-offs, then please share. Oh, and no, I didn't buy it, although I was tempted. There's potential for an amusing review here (and it's cheap).
All you need is love...in the time of chasmosaurs http://chasmosaurs.blogspot.com/
@Mhorridus

CityRaptor

You know, for a knockoff it does not look that bad.  I wonder if it takes it's colors from one of the orange JP T-rexes.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Primeval12

Quote from: Horridus on April 07, 2013, 10:34:40 PM
Rejoice!

OK, so I've only seen the one for now, but it made me laugh. I located it in a branch of The Works (a discount book shop) in Crawley. Reminds me rather of the Salvatt range in terms of nearly-there-but-not-quite copying (check out the old Favorite resins on the tag, too). Unlike the real Papo Allosaurus, the jaw on this one will open up all the way down to the neck. It's available with different colour schemes, too - another one I saw was more green.

If you've seen any other dodgy Papo knock-offs, then please share. Oh, and no, I didn't buy it, although I was tempted. There's potential for an amusing review here (and it's cheap).
Can I get that in the US

Blade-of-the-Moon

Primeval12

Brontozaurus

Doesn't the Mojo Stegosaurus count as a dodge Papo knockoff? It does look nearly identical to the Papo stego.
"Uww wuhuhuhuh HAH HAWR HA HAWR."
-Ian Malcolm

My collection! UPDATED 21.03.2020: Dungeons & Dinosaurs!

crankydinosaur

Gwangi

Quote from: crankydinosaur on April 08, 2013, 04:10:37 AM
what species is that? Postosuchus!!!????

Allosaurus. I must admit, I like it too. For that price I probably would have bought it.

Dan

Not bad. With a new paint app, it might actually be a fair substitute. Is "The Works" responsible for manufacturing this, as well?

sauroid

it doesnt look bad. i want that allo too. it could pass as Papo Al's ugly mate.
oh btw, is it solid plastic or hollow like most china dinos?
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Dan on April 08, 2013, 05:25:57 AM
Not bad. With a new paint app, it might actually be a fair substitute. Is "The Works" responsible for manufacturing this, as well?
Unlikely, considering The Works is a bookshop/bog standard art/craft supply store. They probably are just distributing it.

I've been in the there several times and I have never seen them selling these before. My sister also studies at Lincoln university and she visits this store often, I don't think she has seen them either.

But seriously...3 quid for that thing?

CityRaptor

Seems to be quite a normal price for it, if you ask me.
Oh no

Horridus

£3.99, so more like 4 quid...

Quote from: Brontozaurus on April 08, 2013, 03:07:26 AM
Doesn't the Mojo Stegosaurus count as a dodge Papo knockoff? It does look nearly identical to the Papo stego.

Probably.

By the way, I'm...well, not actually that surprised that so many of you would quite like one of these. ;) It's hollow plastic, has a very cheap feel to it (as you might expect).
All you need is love...in the time of chasmosaurs http://chasmosaurs.blogspot.com/
@Mhorridus

tyrantqueen

Quote from: CityRaptor on April 08, 2013, 05:20:38 PM
Seems to be quite a normal price for it, if you ask me.
I could get a sandwich for that amount of money. Which would be far more worth the money.

CityRaptor

Oh no

Roselaar

If they have to copy something, better have them copy the company that produces the most detailed models, they might learn a thing or two. I would buy this Allo if I came upon it.

tyrantqueen

There have been Papo bootlegs around quite some time before the discovery of this Allosaur.

See this tyrannosaurus

Btw, I have Safari bootlegs...

Takama

darylj

I've had the three paint variations of these as my profile pic on here for a few weeks now.

They aren't to bad. Maybe we could arrange picking some of these up and sending them to the states?
I wouldn't mind doing it?

Jetoar

I like this bootleg of Papo Allosaurus. it remid to me some figures of Bullyland style  ^-^.
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: