News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Figures in 1/72 - work on Giraffatitan

Started by MIXVS MINIMAX, April 15, 2013, 01:46:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MIXVS MINIMAX

@Stegosauria:
>Really? You sculpt these tiny dinosaurs without any sort of magnification? How?
Yes, really.  :)) And how? With dentist tools. :-)
But I need to admit, that Epidexipteryx was tricky to sculpt. 1mm too much and the dimension is competely wrong.
There is not so much sculpting in Epidexipteryx and Microraptor. The first is a construct by wire and super glue with
a bit milliput to smooth the surface. The latter is a piece of paper thicken up with superglue, wire and little amount of milliput. The trunk was by far more tricky to build.

>And why you sculpt in this small scale the really tiny dinosaurs too?
I have Epidexipteryx and Parvicursor (and Conchoraptor in the cellar) in 1:1 on my desk-unfinished. Bigger creatures need more time and I have a lot of other models
(7 airplanes, 8 submarines) waiting to be finished. Its on one hand just for in between because Giraffatitan needs to be reworked. That will be my biggest dino-model.
But Supersaurus is aimed too. On the other hand I need this thread to be continued. And there we are back with reason 1.

@ceratopsian: At first I wanted to place it in a trunk, but then it came out, that it would be to hard to scuplt, build, cast and paint. At the best place in the world for
sudden ideas, I got mind-flashed and decided to place it in a track print of a really big dino. The trunk will be the base now for Compsognathus, sitting at the edge to overview the terrain.

Lanthanotus

I highly recommend that figure :)

tyrantqueen

QuoteNew item! Epidexipteryx hui in 1/72

Insane (but in a good way) :) :o

QuoteAnd why you sculpt in this small scale the really tiny dinosaurs too?
Maybe he likes the challenge? I'm happy that someone is sculpting in 1/72. It's a rather neglected scale.

ceratopsian

So does the Epidexipteryx require any assembly by the purchaser?

MIXVS MINIMAX

You only need to cut out and assemble the tail feathers.

Libraraptor

That Epidexipteryx is totally insane!  I love it!  Matchbox dioramas!

ceratopsian

Quote from: MIXVS MINIMAX on February 13, 2018, 01:34:48 PM
You only need to cut out and assemble the tail feathers.

It is so minute that I think my chances of seeing where to attach the tail feathers and manipulating the paper into position are sadly very low.

MIXVS MINIMAX

:-) I can cut a feather fan for You an put it in the box.

ceratopsian

Quote from: MIXVS MINIMAX on February 14, 2018, 08:46:18 AM
:-) I can cut a feather fan for You an put it in the box.

Many thanks - I've just PMed you.

terrorchicken

I envy your miniature painting/sculpting skills MIXVS! I cant even paint an eye on a regular sized animal figure without it looking like a huge blob!
Amazing work all around!

MIXVS MINIMAX

Quote from: terrorchicken on February 24, 2018, 05:34:41 PM
...I cant even paint an eye on a regular sized animal figure without it looking like a huge blob!

:)) :)) Take tooth sticks! :-)

But thank Your very much.

Meanwhile I decided to rebuild Giraffatitan completely. New model, new luck. Its scaled up to 25m in length and based on the new skeletal drawing by Nima Sassani.
Some pics from the actual building process. Today I covered it with tissue-maché.

Thats gonna be huge compared to Epidexipteryx.

regars
Alex

tyrantqueen

The Brachio even without clay is a work of art by itself. I'm suddenly reminded of Bruce Woollatt's work...

Lanthanotus

Thanks for sharing the building process there, MIXVS. Looks very promising, especially with all the stuff in mind that you have released until now :)

MIXVS MINIMAX

:-)

I must admit, that big models need far more checks to the original than smaller models.

Next step: tissue-maché as surface layer for milliput.
It gives a first impression if the dimension of the ribs was chosen in a right way. The area before the hind legs need more material to make it rounder.

MIXVS MINIMAX

Here we go with some putty from the warehouse on the belly and around the limbs, to save up Milliput.

My yellow-grey Milliput is going to be empty, so I bought the last milliput they had in the store-silver gray. I had to
recognized, that this package was a bit older that thought, because its has a already dried surface.  :-\
But anyway, it can be used. But the next time I will go for yellow-grey again.

mgaguilar

Gosh, I absolutely LOVE the photos of your sculpt workflow. Really amazing how it all comes together and you create these beautiful pieces.

MIXVS MINIMAX

Thanks. Meanwhile I was searching for better elephant-pics as reference.

Sculpting goes on:

MIXVS MINIMAX

Hi everybody,

the work on Giraffatitan continued over Easter. I found some nice elephant-pics and also went to the zoo. Due to the move of limbs
and body the surface of elephant skin is rough or smooth. That is a hard task to sculpt. Meanwhile I ordered the Alamosaurus
and Andesaurus by Mr. Krentz on shapeways to look, how he used to scuplt shoulders and chest.

left side:

the spine:

the right scapula.

And one of the coolest detail will be the skull by Robert (Strick67). A big, big thanks a lot!. Before I start to sculpt the flesh to the bones I need make a resin copy,
because the teeth are soo fine, the they fell off by looking at them.

Lanthanotus

Thanks for this update.... and the behind the scenes view of the tiniest details of your incredible work :)

Dinoreplicas

The trip to the zoo seems to have paid off, realistic tension in the wrinkles conveying a large animal in motion.

Quote from: MIXVS MINIMAX on April 17, 2018, 09:53:52 PMbecause the teeth are soo fine, the they fell off by looking at them.
Yeah I heard the FUD material was pretty brittle. By the time you're done you could probably add sauropod dentistry to your résumé :))

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: