News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Figures in 1/72 - work on Giraffatitan

Started by MIXVS MINIMAX, April 15, 2013, 01:46:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lone Trike

Really great stuff, Alex! I love your attention to detail, not only with the animals, but with the bases as well!
I think my favorite so far is the Quetzalcoatlus! I also like the Coelophysis with the eyeball in it´s claws :))
model kits available at: Instagram at LoneTrikeStudio Shapeways

Mackeral

Quote from: Lone Trike on April 24, 2018, 05:52:09 PM
I think my favorite so far is the Quetzalcoatlus!

I just received my mini Quetzalcoatlus kit, my smallest kit ever which i purschased for being kind of a bug picking'bird' on a 1:15 triceratops :)
What a cool model, so many details!

Lone Trike

Quote from: Mackeral on April 24, 2018, 06:01:40 PM
I just received my mini Quetzalcoatlus kit, my smallest kit ever which i purschased for being kind of a bug picking'bird' on a 1:15 triceratops :)
What a cool model, so many details!
A Quetzalcoatlus bug-picking on the back of a Triceratops, that´s a sight to behold for sure :))

postsaurischian

:D  I'd like to pre-order the Giraffatitan.
       Please let us know whenever we can do so!

MIXVS MINIMAX

Bedankt, gracias, schenkuje and thanks!

@postsaurischian: I cast on demand, so I will keep in mind, that You would like to have one. When I post a built and painted Giraffatitan-pic  (I need to buid and paint it for the boxart) and call it a new item, then its time to order. I guess it will be so at the end of the year. ;-)

@Mackeral: That must be a bug from "Stormship Troopers". :-) That would be a funny vignette-a Triceratops, the bug and Quetzalcoatlus..

MIXVS MINIMAX

Interstingly I mostly work on Giraffatitan, when I am not at home:

MIXVS MINIMAX

Just a short update. I sanded off the surface of one half of Giraffatitan because I got an idea how to sculpt the unregular wrinkle-network of elephant skin in a hyperultra-realistic way. As I told before, Elephant skin is in my opinion the best skin pattern for big dinos. The first test satisfied me extraordinary.
The other half will follow.

Lanthanotus

Thanks for the update. While sauropods had scales the overall look on the animal (from a distance) would probably more look like that of an elephant with the size and mass obscuring the scaliness. Knowing the detail on some of your other figures I am sure you are on the right way to produce the best Giraffatitan for that scale :)

MIXVS MINIMAX

Hello togehter,

I sanded all down and made a new skin with new technique with milliput standard.

cheers
alex

Bokisaurus

Amazing skin details!
I always admired your work, but now that I have started to try my hands on sculpting, I am even more impressed by the level of details you put in for such small pieces! I can't even imagine how much work must go for each one.
The smaller I can do is about an inch ^-^
Looking forward to seeing this finished figure.

Dinoreplicas

I was wondering how this was coming along. Skin texture is looking very convincing, good work getting such fine detail at the small scale.

MIXVS MINIMAX

I actually did not sculpted it in the originally sense. :-D
I cast my skin from the upper side of the hand and feet and pressed the thin silicon it in the fresh milliput. Some lines were made a bit more prominent/deeper. The disadvantage is, that this method requires some additional work after the impression are hardened.

Halichoeres

Very resourceful, and the effect is highly convincing!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Lone Trike

Nice technique  :)). The results look quite brilliant!

MIXVS MINIMAX

I found a bit time to keep on working. The skull is a cast of stricks67 3d-printed skull.

And in preparation of a model exhibition:

Supersaurus vivanae
It's based on a 35m long individual, so that the model will be 50cm long.

ITdactyl

Oh wow, the Giraffatitan is looking nice.

I had been hoping you'd consider one of the chunkier Apatosaurs for your next project... then you posted the Supersaurus.  Happy days!

On the creative side of things (and I bring this up only because of curiosity - no offense meant), do you ever feel pressure to always keep up with the latest scientific findings or do you just keep to the original sketch of the project?  I've always meant to ask the artists in the forum.  I can't imagine myself working on a sculpture for prolonged periods and reading all the contradicting papers about dinosaur restoration.

MIXVS MINIMAX

avatar_ITdactyl @ITdactyl: Cheers! :-)

Interesting question. I feel no pressure. I have some literature at home and I study artwork and nature to decide how to build a special detail-but mostly on demand. My Spinosaurus by M. Bejarano is in the rebuilding process (new legs+ tail, longer neck, new sail). As long a model is not finished, its normal business for me as model builder, to be aware of "rebuilding danger" if new knowledges are done.

regards alex

ITdactyl

Nice.

Also, an updated Spinosaurus in 1/72 scale huh?  Music to my ears.

On a sidenote, would you consider raising the distal portion of Supersaurus' neck a (tiny) bit so that the head will be in a more alert posture (even if the snout is still naturally pointed downward)?

*don't mean to be a "back seat driver", just passing a request for consideration.  ;D

MIXVS MINIMAX

puuhhh....what a luck, that such a request comes befor starting to sculp. :)) Good idea - I need to remember it.

Spinosaurus: It will be a 16m individual.

By the way: It's also planned to rebuild the Krentz's Stegosaurus to Huayangosaurus. It's cut into pieces and need to build up again.

MIXVS MINIMAX

Short update regarding the chest and skin between belly and hindleg:

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: