News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Geoworld: Future possibilities or Dead End?

Started by Bokisaurus, April 21, 2013, 10:51:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bokisaurus

GeoWorld: Future Possibilities or Dead end?
Seeing and owning some figures from this line, I couldn't help but wonder, are they heading for new possibilities or, like many before them, are they about to hit a dead end?
Geoworld offers a wide range of products, but our subject today is their expansive "newer" line of dinosaurs, specifically their Jurassic Hunters line. The line is part of a larger information/game set.
Now entering its second year, the Jurassic Hunter Collection boast an impressive 90 (36 last year, and 54 this year) individual figures, including dinosaur and prehistoric mammals (including the new releases, there are currently 72 dinosaurs and 18 mammals)! That's a LOT! The only prehistoric group that is mysteriously missing from the collection are the marine reptiles and pterosaurs.
Sample from Jurassic Hunter 1st Expedition set

Sample from Jurassic  Hunter 2nd Expedition set

In many ways, Geoworld seems to have taken a page out of CollectA's book. They remind me a lot of the earlier CollectA. First, they have released a lot of figure per year. Secondly, they too have gone after the under-represented or unique species in their choices. T
thirdly, it looks like they have been heavily "inspired" by CollectA, so much that some of the figures have a striking, if not outright, similarity to CollectA's.

Agustinia and Rebbachisaurus with CollectA's

Back to the figures, these guys are larger than your average CollectA or Safari figures. They are hollow, so they are not as heavy. Each figure comes packaged in plastic bags and includes information cards about the dinosaur. Perhaps due to this extra packaging (unnecessary in my opinion), considering that these are hollow, these figures are also more expensive than Safari or CollectA, roughly averaging around $9.00 each (cheapest I can find on eBay, anyway).

Figures and packaging

As for sculpting, again, one is reminded of the earlier CollectA ( Procon) figures. They range from good, to really horrible. In addition, there are many anatomical inaccuracies (although, I suspect, I am much more forgiving in this area than most) especially in their therapods.
On the bright (literally) side, the figures are very colorful and imaginative, nice to see a company that is not afraid to give their dinosaur figures some much needed color variety.
Oh my, very colorful group! ;D

In both expedition offerings, now currently available, there are many interesting species that have never been made into larger figures before (only seen in miniature Japanese figures and/or resin models). This is a welcome change.

Species such as Falcarius, Zuniceratops, and Troodon are wonderful additions

Gunalong and Caudipteryx are only a few interesting species

In addition, some fun new twist to some species like Camarasaurus and Psittacosaurus and Therizinosaurus,too ;D

They also share CollectA's fondness of sauropods, rivaling them in diversity (11 vs. CollectA's 14)

Ah yes, in addition to following CollectA's foot prints, they also seems to have burrowed a few of Salvat's tricks. I am referring to the originality of their sculpting. Salvat, for those who are not familiar with the line, is best known for copying the design of other companies (Battat, Safari, WWD Toyway were favorites), making just enough changes to avoid copyright problems.
The same can be said about some of Geoworld's most recent figures. The Agustinia and Concavenator are both almost identical to CollectA's.

The figures have no established scale, they are all over the place! ;D

And how do they compare to other figures? Again that is subjective based on individual taste. However, they are distinctive enough to be identified as part of the series. They are consistent in style, so they go well with all the other figures from the collection.
Some could be included with other lines, others not so. Again, these figures are larger that both CollectA and Safari figures.

So, are the figures worth it? It all depends on your own personal taste and style of collecting. For me personally as a collector, despite their flaws, I like the line overall. They may not be perfect, but they sure have some character, and is a nice change from the "almost" monotonous styles out there. It gives my collection more variety (note: I said the exact thing about CollectA way back when they first came out). Fit's my collecting style just perfect. Also, I prefer them a LOT over Schelich *yuck* ;D

So going back to my original question of is Geoworld offering possibilities or will they hit a dead end? For me, I like to think that it's possibilities. I sincerely hope that the line will be around for a while, and that they will improve year after year, just like CollectA have done. What do you think?

Geoworld Jurassic Hunter 1st Expedition figures (sample) 2012 release
Species (in no order), here are the meat-eaters
Baryonly, Gunalong, Eustreptospndylus, T-rex, Giganotosaurus, Charcharodontosaurus, Caudipteryx

And the vegetarians  ^-^
Amargasaurus, Diplodocus, Protoceratops, Ornithomimus, Ouranosaurus, Tsintaosaurus
[

The entire 1st Expedition figures I own

Geoworld Jurassic Hunter 2nd Expedition figures (sample) 2013 release
Species represented (in no order)
Jobaria, Mamenchisaurus, Saltasaurus, Rebbachisaurus, Agustinia, Camarasaurus, Argentinosaurus, Troodon,Therisinosaurus, Zuniceratops, Psittacosaurus, Falcarius
[

The entire 2nd Expedition figures I currently own

Jetoar

wonderful post, I like all, over all troodon  ^-^.
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Libraraptor

This thread fills a much needed gap, Boki! Thanks for this information! As to the figures of the company, I agree they range from horrible (Baryonyx) to excellent (Caudipteryx). I probably won´t buy myself any of these due to their price. Buying every of the 90 figures would be more than 900$$. And even a figure in between would cost $9 or more...

amargasaurus cazaui

Having only purchased the one figure so far (psittacosaurus) perhaps I do not have enough of an idea yet to state but my own take on these is........at least they are releasing figures, and they are cost friendly, and cover many different species. I see the figures as caricatures. If I want accuracy I can get resins or the carnegie version, collect-a , etc. I see them as a nice variance from the grind .
  Most of the other lines would charge 15 -20 dollars for these figures based on size, so they are priced nicely. I myself am seriously considering building the entire set, just cause.
  I like that the manufacture tends to give the dinosaurs the more major known traits and then cartoons them up a bit. You could easily make a highly amusing television series if these all had names and characters for instance.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Takama

The whole reason i started buying CollectAs, is because there Species list is massive.  All of a sudden this new company comes and introduces this line with even more species, after i spent $50 a month creating my CollectA collection.      I am tempted to start buying Geoworlds. But each one costs more then the average CollectA, plus theres already 90 figures to buy in this collection.     

amargasaurus cazaui

To quote something Niroot said once......"Surely there can be only pleasure in having Two" in this case lines of dinosaurs to collect. Think of your collect-A collection as something you can now place in maintenance mode, just keep it current and it takes care of itself. And yes there might be ninety figures in this new line, but I have seen them priced as low as 9.99 each, which I am thinking IS lower than the price of collect-A deluxe figures in general. You cant collect something till you get your first one so............thats the best place to start.
  You have to remember its not a race or competition....collect what you enjoy and like. If someone else sees that as valid great, but follow your own mind.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

SBell

Quote from: Takama on April 23, 2013, 01:07:51 AM
The whole reason i started buying CollectAs, is because there Species list is massive.  All of a sudden this new company comes and introduces this line with even more species, after i spent $50 a month creating my CollectA collection.      I am tempted to start buying Geoworlds. But each one costs more then the average CollectA, plus theres already 90 figures to buy in this collection.   

Technically, there are still only 72 to buy--the 18 mammals won't be around until mid-Fall according to the recent list I have.

Trexroarr

I figured I should post this here too.

I found GeoWorld's 2013 catalogue. In it, there are pictures of some of the Jurassic World: 3rd Expedition figures. They don't look that bad at all. Some are better than others, of course. There is also a list of all 18 species.

Interestingly, there is also a new "Starter Kit" for people who are first starting out their collection. It includes a binder for the data cards as well as the T-Rex figure and matching data card. This is definitely a great idea and something which I would DEFINITELY buy since I do not own any figures from this collection yet. It is even available is SIX different languages!

What I am wondering though is can one binder fit all 90 (so far) data cards plus the 12 it already comes with? Probably not. I think purchasing a second binder would be required.

Also, the Jurassic Hunters collection is the very first product-line featured in the catalogue (which it was not in the 2012 one). Although the figures are not the greatest, the concept of collecting these data cards to create your very own prehistoric encyclopedia is really great and has definitely never been done before. I can see this collection carrying on for years to come with the next "expeditions" probably featuring Pterosaurs and marine reptiles.

Here is the catalogue. http://www.eduproducts.it/file/Eduproducts_catalogue2013.pdf

I hope Dan begins to carry these soon. Especially that new "Starter Kit". :D

Come check out The Paleo Handbook, today!

SBell

Quote from: Trexroarr on April 24, 2013, 06:36:33 AM

I found GeoWorld's 2013 catalogue. In it, there are pictures of some of the Jurassic World: 3rd Expedition figures. They don't look that bad at all. Some are better than others, of course. There is also a list of all 18 species.

Interestingly, there is also a new "Starter Kit" for people who are first starting out their collection. It includes a binder for the data cards as well as the T-Rex figure and matching data card. This is definitely a great idea and something which I would DEFINITELY buy since I do not own any figures from this collection yet. It is even available is SIX different languages!

What I am wondering though is can one binder fit all 90 (so far) data cards plus the 12 it already comes with? Probably not. I think purchasing a second binder would be required.

Also, the Jurassic Hunters collection is the very first product-line featured in the catalogue (which it was not in the 2012 one). Although the figures are not the greatest, the concept of collecting these data cards to create your very own prehistoric encyclopedia is really great and has definitely never been done before. I can see this collection carrying on for years to come with the next "expeditions" probably featuring Pterosaurs and marine reptiles.

Here is the catalogue. http://www.eduproducts.it/file/Eduproducts_catalogue2013.pdf

The binder will hold 36 sheets--so you would need one for each expedition.  And the mammals should be out in June.

Trexroarr

Quote from: SBell on April 25, 2013, 03:48:50 AM

The binder will hold 36 sheets--so you would need one for each expedition.  And the mammals should be out in June.

Well each should actually hold 48 sheets I would think. The 12 that come with the Binder + the 36 from the 1st Expedition. This means that a second binder should be enough for the 2nd and 3rd Expeditions. 36 + 18 = 54 sheets. This may be cutting it close but I think it would fit.

Now I just gotta find a good place to buy these. Anyone know where I can at least get the Starter Kit? Is it even out yet?

SBell

Quote from: Trexroarr on April 25, 2013, 07:17:40 AM

Well each should actually hold 48 sheets I would think. The 12 that come with the Binder + the 36 from the 1st Expedition. This means that a second binder should be enough for the 2nd and 3rd Expeditions. 36 + 18 = 54 sheets. This may be cutting it close but I think it would fit.

Now I just gotta find a good place to buy these. Anyone know where I can at least get the Starter Kit? Is it even out yet?

Yup, looking again, it can hold 36 more cards. However there is a kit (with a T.rex figure) or just the binder (which also comes with the 12 cards). That said, I haven't even seen a list price for the kit (the binders retail for about 15-20).

It may have to do with the T.rex being backordered to June on its own. They may be short in stock right now.

I also just noticed another major error--I said the mammals would be out in June or so, which is incorrect (I was thinking of the Mojo ones). Right now the Expedition 3 mammals are slated for October.

Trexroarr

Quote from: SBell on April 25, 2013, 07:31:25 AM
Quote from: Trexroarr on April 25, 2013, 07:17:40 AM

Yup, looking again, it can hold 36 more cards. However there is a kit (with a T.rex figure) or just the binder (which also comes with the 12 cards). That said, I haven't even seen a list price for the kit (the binders retail for about 15-20).

It may have to do with the T.rex being backordered to June on its own. They may be short in stock right now.

I also just noticed another major error--I said the mammals would be out in June or so, which is incorrect (I was thinking of the Mojo ones). Right now the Expedition 3 mammals are slated for October.

Well that answers my Mojo question i was saving for another thread! Lol cool.

So the Starter kit may be coming in June then? Ehhh I don't feel like waiting till then lol. I would just order the binder now, but I'm not sure where to get it and I wanna make sure that it is in English. Any ideas? Same goes for the figures too. Gotta be in English.

amargasaurus cazaui

Not sure if it would just be the piece I got already (psittacosaurus) but mine came with six different versions of the card, in english, german, french spanish,italian and ? So it should not matter where you acquire them, the cards are done just as well.

Trexroarr

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on April 25, 2013, 07:46:10 AM
Not sure if it would just be the piece I got already (psittacosaurus) but mine came with six different versions of the card, in english, german, french spanish,italian and ? So it should not matter where you acquire them, the cards are done just as well.

Ohhh. That makes a lot of sense actually. Just gotta find the binder in English then. Thanks!

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: Trexroarr on April 25, 2013, 07:48:17 AM

Ohhh. That makes a lot of sense actually. Just gotta find the binder in English then. Thanks!
Not to sound like a broken record but if the designer was far enough ahead to think of making the seperate dinosaur cards in each language, it would imply although certainly not prove the binders themselves would follow the same format. It would just seem logical that the process would follow......although I cannot say that is in fact for certain.

Trexroarr

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on April 25, 2013, 07:55:04 AM
Quote from: Trexroarr on April 25, 2013, 07:48:17 AM

Not to sound like a broken record but if the designer was far enough ahead to think of making the seperate dinosaur cards in each language, it would imply although certainly not prove the binders themselves would follow the same format. It would just seem logical that the process would follow......although I cannot say that is in fact for certain.

According to the 2013 GeoWorld catalogue, the binder comes in 6 different languages. Not like all 6 in one package as with the figures.

I actually just ordered the Velociraptor from Amazon for about $16 (including tax and shipping). The image matches the exact image of the Velociraptor from the catalogue and it is being sold directly from Amazon (the same can't be said for other figures for both the image and the seller). Basically I wanted to make sure it is the latest version of the figure, since I know there havw been some paint job changes since the beginning of the collection. So, I figured why not? If this all holds up to be true, at least we will know that if it ships directly from Amazon, it is the latest version of the figure. It will be here within a week. :)

amargasaurus cazaui

I wanted to toss out one other comment, not sure about the various paint jobs and any changes, but just a hint, Dejankins carries the entire line for like ten bucks a figure.....every penny sometimes counts. Just for what its worth

Trexroarr

If you compare the figures from the 2012 catalogue to the 2013 catalogue, you will see some significant changes to the color scemes of most of the species.

Here is an example of the two different Triceratops, both of which are being sold on Amazon SEPERATELY. You can clearly see the differences between the two.

2012 Triceratops http://www.amazon.com/Geoworld-Eduproducts-CL308K-Jurassic-Hunter/dp/B008Q9SWSO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1366873899&sr=8-1&keywords=Jurassic+Hunters+Triceratops

2013 Triceratops http://www.amazon.com/Jurassic-Hunters-CL308K-Triceratops-Model/dp/B00AFOHN3S/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1366873899&sr=8-2&keywords=Jurassic+Hunters+Triceratops

Mauro "Raptor86"

I've made a Protoceratops review months ago: http://paleo-nerd.blogspot.nl/2013/01/protoceratops-by-geoworld-jurassic.html    *orthocone*

As an Italian company I've tried to contact them...but they never answered  :-\

SBell

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on April 25, 2013, 08:07:28 AM
I wanted to toss out one other comment, not sure about the various paint jobs and any changes, but just a hint, Dejankins carries the entire line for like ten bucks a figure.....every penny sometimes counts. Just for what its worth

I'm hoping to have some for sale soon--and yeah, $10 sounds about right.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: