News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

New on Ebay

Started by Ikessauro, March 13, 2012, 03:02:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jose S.M.

Customs are the worst, they retained my favorite Saurolophus that I ordered from Brett and I kept asking them what should I do, I didn't knew what to do because that never happened to me before ( I've only got figures by mail twice and the first time was easy, the package was delivered at my local post office but packages  That are from Asia are retained apparently without reasons). They gave me useless answers and then the Saurolophus was sent back.

ceratopsian

Quote from: BlueKrono on April 08, 2017, 07:58:23 PM
Quote from: Shonisaurus on April 08, 2017, 03:15:49 PM
Quote from: BlueKrono on April 07, 2017, 10:33:52 PM
Quote from: ceratopsian on April 07, 2017, 10:30:27 PM
Quote from: Daspletotyrannus on April 07, 2017, 09:05:28 PM
http://m.ebay.com/itm/Battat-Museum-of-science-dinosaur-model-Stryracosaurus-w-tag-/262927836312?nav=SEARCH

Battat Styracosaurus.

I'd love one - but the postage to the UK is an eye-watering $48.50 - even before you factor in customs!

And customs take a good cut too. It's really pretty egregious.

True, the customs service at the global level is full of corruption and my nation is no exception.

The customs companies retain at their whim packages with good reason or without it. It's the problem one has when it comes to buying figures abroad.

That really is unfair. Makes me a little less proud of the collection I've amassed, since non-US collectors are at such a disadvantage due to those hurdles.

I think in the case of the Styracosaurus, the seller is partly at fault.  I note that the Battat Ouranosaurus currently listed by someone else is offering postage at $22.50.  I doubt they can be very different in size and weight.  The $48.50 seems very steep by comparison with other people selling models.  But yes, you are right.  In some ways non-US collectors are at a disadvantage.  I spent a fortune getting my re-release Battats from the USA (before Everything Dinosaur started to stock them).  It also affects getting resin model kits, e.g. from Dan's Dinosaurs.  On the other hand, we have an easier time with getting CollectA models here in the UK, so not all doom and gloom!

Flaffy

sigh, It's almost always doom and gloom from where I live.
My only source for figures is online, along with hefty shipping fees.

ceratopsian

Quote from: FlaffyRaptors on April 09, 2017, 11:34:42 AM
sigh, It's almost always doom and gloom from where I live.
My only source for figures is online, along with hefty shipping fees.

I too have to buy everything on-line - no shops that I've found in my area stock anything I want.  I bought two models last year at museum shops while on holiday but that's it.

BlueKrono

Quote from: Daspletotyrannus on April 05, 2017, 05:00:36 PM
http://m.ebay.com/itm/BATTAT-DIPLODOCUS-MUSEUM-OF-SCIENCE-BOSTON-1997-NEW-IN-BOX-JURASSIC-DINOSAUR-/252845185197?nav=SEARCH
If anyone has $900+ and they need to get rid of it, here is a Battat Diplodocus mint condition in the original box.  I didn't even know that they put the Diplodocus in a box. I don't think it will sell. Lol

You were right. Now relisted for $100 less... probably because someone on the internet pointed out there was a dent in the box. ;) They'll probably keep knocking off hundred dollar bills until someone bites. Interesting to see how low it will have to go.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

SBell

Quote from: BlueKrono on April 12, 2017, 05:58:59 AM
http://m.ebay.com/itm/BATTAT-DIPLODOCUS-MUSEUM-OF-SCIENCE-BOSTON-1997-NEW-IN-BOX-JURASSIC-DINOSAUR-/252845185197?nav=SEARCH
If anyone has $900+ and they need to get rid of it, here is a Battat Diplodocus mint condition in the original box.  I didn't even know that they put the Diplodocus in a box. I don't think it will sell. Lol

You were right. Now relisted for $100 less... probably because someone on the internet pointed out there was a dent in the box. ;) They'll probably keep knocking off hundred dollar bills until someone bites. Interesting to see how low it will have to go.

Several years back, in the days of DTF1, $800 was the going rate for that figure on ebay--when it was out of box, and with imperfect paint! It will probably sell now!

Daspletotyrannus

Quote from: SBell on April 12, 2017, 01:39:38 PM

Several years back, in the days of DTF1, $800 was the going rate for that figure on ebay--when it was out of box, and with imperfect paint! It will probably sell now!

I'm not sure of that.  There have been a couple trying to sell around  $500 and they haven't sold. I just believe people are just hoping for the repaint. The best bet is start the bids really low and let go up from there. When someone did that awhile ago it I believe it sold around  $200. Maybe this will sell around  $300. You for a rare figure this figure been popping up a lot lately.  Lol

SBell

Quote from: Daspletotyrannus on April 12, 2017, 04:49:32 PM
Quote from: SBell on April 12, 2017, 01:39:38 PM

I'm not sure of that.  There have been a couple trying to sell around  $500 and they haven't sold. I just believe people are just hoping for the repaint. The best bet is start the bids really low and let go up from there. When someone did that awhile ago it I believe it sold around  $200. Maybe this will sell around  $300. You for a rare figure this figure been popping up a lot lately.  Lol

I think you are right, that $800 was a crazy benchmark many years back (fun note--the full set of PV prehistoric amphibians also sold for around $800 in the same time frame).

I think that overall there has been a bit of a market adjustment--people are recognizing that, at the end, these were still mass-produced toys in fairly stable materials and theoretically there should be tens of thousands of them out there.

We aren't talking about limited runs (Toyway Ornithocheirus); fragile materials (Starlux plaster, Miller wax); limited distributions (most Japanese models; SRG Brass, etc); or very old models (you know the ones...) or combinations of all of those!

Archinto

http://www.ebay.com/itm/322480690906?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Heres a link to an auction ending in 6 or so hours from this posting, A really good deal for a big group of really nice vintage Invicta British Museum dinosaurs.
I'm seeking Orsenigo and other interesting vintage dinosaurs. Contact me if you can help with my search!

Lanthanotus

Fair start bid price, but shipping and the horrid national customs fees (20 % on total price, including shipping costs) are a drawback to be considered seriously. I wonder if the seller is Battat itself and if, do they do it to check a possible market for releasing that figure? Well, not the thread to discuss this here, thanks for linking though :)

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: Lanthanotus on April 16, 2017, 08:32:38 PM
Fair start bid price, but shipping and the horrid national customs fees (20 % on total price, including shipping costs) are a drawback to be considered seriously. I wonder if the seller is Battat itself and if, do they do it to check a possible market for releasing that figure? Well, not the thread to discuss this here, thanks for linking though :)
If the seller is Battatt, they are also selling PS4 stations and Prince movie memoribillia....which would seem off?
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

stargatedalek

The description for the other items also speaks of warehouse leftovers, everything seems to add up, even if some pieces are a strange fit on their own...

Pachyrhinosaurus

Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Reptilia

Well, I guess people is crazy.

BlueKrono

It cannot have escaped you that no one is buying it.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Halichoeres

I have a spare Carnegie Smilodon that I can let go for half that price!

Anybody? Bueller?
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

BlueKrono

Quote from: Halichoeres on April 18, 2017, 03:24:48 PM
I have a spare Carnegie Smilodon that I can let go for half that price!

Anybody? Bueller?

I'm still waiting for you to sell me that spare WWD Ornithocheirus of yours... I will bump my previous offer of $20 up to $25, but that's my final offer!

Lanthanotus

Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on April 18, 2017, 02:01:46 AM
Is there something I'm missing about this auction?
[...]
A Carnegie smilodon for $350 (and lowered from $500)!

Maybe a victim of this eBay price suggestion Brett talked about? :D

Quote from: BlueKrono on April 18, 2017, 04:11:51 PM
[...]
I'm still waiting for you to sell me that spare WWD Ornithocheirus of yours... I will bump my previous offer of $20 up to $25, but that's my final offer!

I dare jump in and bid a bold $30 then  ::)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: