News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

New on Ebay

Started by Ikessauro, March 13, 2012, 03:02:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pachyrhinosaurus

I just bought a loose dilophosaurus for about the same price. I think the Battats that have been re-issued have been going for less-- especially the tyrannosaurus. I like the original but I know some people would think the new colors are more naturalistic. As someone who is still looking to complete the set, I wouldn't say lower prices are typical, though they aren't quite as high as they have been. I've noticed that they have been coming up less frequently for sale lately.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

SidB

Quote from: Ikessauro on April 09, 2020, 07:51:12 PM
Quote from: SidB on April 09, 2020, 02:52:45 PM

I've said it before, but my suspicion is that the Battat price bubble has "flattened out." Too many high quality items from other new and refurbished old lines to permit the old inflated Battat prices to persist.

I have to agree with you on that one. A few years back a good condition T.rex would go for over 150, even around 200 if it was the first version. Acrocanthosaurus was the best of it's kind back then, mine cost me about 100. No new condition by the way. Today I wouldn't pay that much for one, considering the awesome variety of Acros we have around. Battat originals will always be collectible, but I don't think we'll see them go for a lot of cash anytime soon.
The Battat Diplo that recently went for $200 was a bit of a revelation. Now, mind you, that was an act of generosity on the part of the seller, but such a price was unheard of in the past, except in yard sales. The mini T-rexes for sale over the last couple of years also have have been a tough move because of their old time asking prices. I have an extensive Battat collection, but it would take a miracle for me to ever get my hands on those two. Meanwhile, the market is full of dazzling new figures of stellar quality from other brands.

Dinoguy2

Quote from: SidB on April 09, 2020, 02:52:45 PM
Quote from: postsaurischian on April 09, 2020, 12:40:27 PM
Quote from: Dinoguy2 on April 09, 2020, 12:34:29 PM
Quote from: Loon on April 08, 2020, 09:02:26 PM
Schleich Saltasaurus
https://www.ebay.com/itm/283841373217

Tyco Smithsonian Pterodactylus and Deinonychus New in Box
https://www.ebay.com/itm/373014236286

Battat Dilophosaurus in Box
https://www.ebay.com/itm/313049148068

Did that boxed Battat Dilo really just sell for $35? 😮

Whichever of you just nabbed that thing, 👍👍👍👍

It was even USD $30. Unfortunately the seller didn't want to ship to Germany :'( .
I've said it before, but my suspicion is that the Battat price bubble has "flattened out." Too many high quality items from other new and refurbished old lines to permit the old inflated Battat prices to persist.

I hope you're right. I'd like to eventually get all of the original Battats but I'm not particularly focused on collecting them, so I can't justify the cost.

The appeal of Battat now is mainly nostalgic anyway. Do they have any species that haven't been surpassed in quality or accuracy by modern lines? The only thing they have that is still a rarity is a combination of quality and consistent scale.

I guess Maiasaura is still the best version on the market, and not many other companies have done a good, large rearing sauropod. I also still think the first Battat Rex is the best that's ever been made. But the rest...
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

SidB

D @Dinoguy2 , by coincidence, I glanced, in passing, at my Battats this morning, my eye being caught by the Maiasaura that you mentioned. Agreed, neither it nor  the v1/v2 (same, but with the snowshoes) T-rexes have ever been surpassed. The Ouranosaurus isn't chopped liver either.

Dinoguy2

Quote from: SidB on April 10, 2020, 01:11:51 PM
D @Dinoguy2 , by coincidence, I glanced, in passing, at my Battats this morning, my eye being caught by the Maiasaura that you mentioned. Agreed, neither it nor  the v1/v2 (same, but with the snowshoes) T-rexes have ever been surpassed. The Ouranosaurus isn't chopped liver either.

Yes, agreed, the Ouranosaurus is the best of its kind. Not that many others have been made, but it will be tough to top. I also forgot about the Styracosaurus, which isn't just the best of its species but might be one of my favorite dinosaur figures ever made.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

therizinosaurus

Quote from: Dinoguy2 on April 10, 2020, 02:03:32 PM

Yes, agreed, the Ouranosaurus is the best of its kind. Not that many others have been made, but it will be tough to top. I also forgot about the Styracosaurus, which isn't just the best of its species but might be one of my favorite dinosaur figures ever made.

For me, the thing about Battat that is amazing even 20-25 years later is how consistent the entire line is, both in terms of quality and scale. When you take into account the state of paleontological knowledge in the mid-1990s there's not a single one of the 18 figures that is subpar, which I don't think can be said of any other line. Compared to some early Carnegies (which are only what, 6 years older than the first Battat wave?), and especially some early Bullyland and Schleich, the Battat figures are simply masterpieces. I wouldn't be surprised if their arrival on the market pushed other lines to step up their game. In a way, it reminds me of how Invicta stormed onto the scene in 1974. There was nothing like it before and things would never be the same again.

At least that's my 2c on why the Battat figures still enthrall me the same way they did when I was 6 years old. :)

SidB

It's a wonderous thing not to lose the "magic", the sense of something special about that which really is outstanding. Mind you, not everyone will or has to agree, but the Battat line was a breakthrough in terms of quality and precision. They maintained their position at the head of the pack for many years. It's really only with the advent of companies such as Eofauna and PNSO and the renaissance of CollectA and Safari that they have been equaled, then surpassed. Nevertheless their place in the history of this niche hobby is secure, IMO.

Ikessauro

AAA Dodo.
Not sure about the price, but I don't see this for sale often, so I thought it might be of interest.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124153505868?ul_noapp=true

UK

Loon

EmperorDinobot

Ooohh I really want that Triarthrus!

In other news, anyone like Jasman figures? These are the smaller, nicer ones that sometimes came in an environment. You won't find them cheaper anywhere else.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Jasman-lot-of-vintage-dinosaur-figures-10-dinosaurs-Velociraptor-T-rex-etc/303542208024?hash=item46ac868618:g:HE8AAOSwTAhemHcc

I also have like three of the boxed ones somewhere. The boxes are completely crumbled, but the environments are intact with the trees and inserts.

SidB

Quote from: therizinosaurus on April 11, 2020, 12:55:26 AM
Quote from: Dinoguy2 on April 10, 2020, 02:03:32 PM

For me, the thing about Battat that is amazing even 20-25 years later is how consistent the entire line is, both in terms of quality and scale. When you take into account the state of paleontological knowledge in the mid-1990s there's not a single one of the 18 figures that is subpar, which I don't think can be said of any other line. Compared to some early Carnegies (which are only what, 6 years older than the first Battat wave?), and especially some early Bullyland and Schleich, the Battat figures are simply masterpieces. I wouldn't be surprised if their arrival on the market pushed other lines to step up their game. In a way, it reminds me of how Invicta stormed onto the scene in 1974. There was nothing like it before and things would never be the same again.

At least that's my 2c on why the Battat figures still enthrall me the same way they did when I was 6 years old. :)
Check out the unfolding display of Battat repaints that endeavor to duplicate Dan Lorusso's unreleased prototype on the Re - issue of Battat former Boston Museum of Science thread under the "Dinosaur Toy Lines" rubric.

Loon

BlueKrono

I'm the one selling the Gerrothorax. Hoping it ends up with a collector who appreciates it.  ^-^
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

postsaurischian

Quote from: Loon on April 20, 2020, 09:23:08 AM
Play Visions Gerrothorax
https://www.ebay.com/itm/174256312813

$31.85 for international shipping via the "oh so great" Global Shipping Program for such a tiny figure?!
I have stopped trying to understand US shipping quotes.
I'm very glad that most of the things that are interesting to me do not come from there anymore.

triceratops83

Quote from: postsaurischian on April 22, 2020, 06:06:51 AM
Play Visions Gerrothorax

$31.85 for international shipping via the "oh so great" Global Shipping Program for such a tiny figure?!
I'm very glad that most of the things that are interesting to me do not come from there anymore.

Too many times have I seen a $2 plastic figure from the US come with a shipping price of around $80.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

SidB

Play Visions Gerrothorax

I sympathize with you. I live in Toronto, so things should be clear sailing, right? Not quite. Apart from the increase in rates, including the Global Shipping Program, om two of most recent orders from the U.S.A. under the GSP banner, the good folk there at GSP decided to send my order not by Canada Post, which is at least reliable, in my experience. No, they sent them via private deliivery. One was sent via an obscure no-name entity, whose driver had about a dozen words of English. Took me over a week of chasing it around the city before I nailed it down. The second was worse, UPS - delivery to my condo entrance, rang when I was out, left no notice, then sent back to the states, where it was then lost. Not impressed Global Shipping Program.

stargatedalek

Play Visions Gerrothorax

They make us pay for that nonsense even right up north in Canada. Something that could normally ship for $10-$20? Nope, it's now $50+. And if you message a seller asking if they can send it outside of the program half of them don't know how to disable it and the other half give you some lie about how they don't ship internationally, despite their listings clearly being international listings...

Ikessauro

Quote from: stargatedalek on April 22, 2020, 01:59:25 PM
They make us pay for that nonsense even right up north in Canada. Something that could normally ship for $10-$20? Nope, it's now $50+. And if you message a seller asking if they can send it outside of the program half of them don't know how to disable it and the other half give you some lie about how they don't ship internationally, despite their listings clearly being international listings...

Now imagine that, living in Brazil... way worse. I suffer with us shipping prices, even more so because they increase the total amount of the package and thus the total taxes i have to pay for importing toys.  :(

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: