News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Wild Safari: New and Old

Started by Takama, June 09, 2013, 09:55:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dinohunter24

Quote from: Takama on June 14, 2013, 02:48:17 AM
Dose any one agree with the modern line starting in 2007?  Or do you think it relly started in 2008

You are one of my favorite poster along with Juju because you take one picture at a time, so much easier. 

dinohunter24

Quote from: John on August 25, 2013, 06:51:49 AM
Quote from: dinohunter24 on August 25, 2013, 06:44:43 AM
Quote from: tyrantqueen on August 25, 2013, 04:41:00 AM
Quote from: Takama on August 25, 2013, 04:20:25 AM
I was referring to the Wild Safari models released in 2007-Present.

Yes the Carnegie line has some good models, if only they would update there oldest ones.
So why compare them to Carnegie's older models? Of course they're going to be better than those, because they were sculpted about 20 years ago.

Is it me or is the material to make Carnegie dinosaur different than those of Safari?
That depends on which one...the plastic of the Wild Safari Mosasaurus and 2010 Brachiosaurus that I have is softer than the plastic of the Carnegie Cryolophosaurus,but the Apatosaurus and Kentrosaurus feel the same as the Carnegie ones. :)

That is true, I have the Apatosaurus and it is solid.  Good to know abut the Kentrosaurus, is it more solid than the Stegosaurus?  Also how would your rate the Kentrosaurus?

John

Quote from: dinohunter24 on August 25, 2013, 07:10:20 AM

Yes the Carnegie line has some good models, if only they would update there oldest ones.
So why compare them to Carnegie's older models? Of course they're going to be better than those, because they were sculpted about 20 years ago.

Is it me or is the material to make Carnegie dinosaur different than those of Safari?
That depends on which one...the plastic of the Wild Safari Mosasaurus and 2010 Brachiosaurus that I have is softer than the plastic of the Carnegie Cryolophosaurus,but the Apatosaurus and Kentrosaurus feel the same as the Carnegie ones. :)

That is true, I have the Apatosaurus and it is solid.  Good to know abut the Kentrosaurus, is it more solid than the Stegosaurus?  Also how would your rate the Kentrosaurus?
The Wild Safari Stegosaurus I have is actually just as solid as the Kentrosaurus.If yours is softer then there may be variation even in the same models.I didn't get the Stegosaurus till a few years after it first came out though,so it's not a first-run and that may make a difference.As for the Kentrosaurus,I think it's alright.I think it's been discontinued now though,so if you don't have one and are looking to get one,I'd get one soon before Ebay sellers start charging exorbitant amounts like they do with the retired Schleich and Battat dinosaurs. :)
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

dinohunter24

Quote from: John on August 25, 2013, 08:07:21 AM

The Wild Safari Stegosaurus I have is actually just as solid as the Kentrosaurus.If yours is softer then there may be variation even in the same models.I didn't get the Stegosaurus till a few years after it first came out though,so it's not a first-run and that may make a difference.As for the Kentrosaurus,I think it's alright.I think it's been discontinued now though,so if you don't have one and are looking to get one,I'd get one soon before Ebay sellers start charging exorbitant amounts like they do with the retired Schleich and Battat dinosaurs. :)

So many dinosaurs that I need to buy.  I want to say my next dinosaurs haul is specifically Stego and Kentro and other type of this genus but I still don't even have the Papo Running T-rex, Schleich T-rex, and Carnegie Spinosaurus.

tyrantqueen

QuoteSo many dinosaurs that I need to buy.  I want to say my next dinosaurs haul is specifically Stego and Kentro and other type of this genus but I still don't even have the Papo Running T-rex, Schleich T-rex, and Carnegie Spinosaurus.
In my opinion, none of Schleich's tyrannosaurus are worth buying. Don't waste your money.

SBell

Quote from: dinohunter24 on August 25, 2013, 08:23:30 AM
Quote from: John on August 25, 2013, 08:07:21 AM

So many dinosaurs that I need to buy.  I want to say my next dinosaurs haul is specifically Stego and Kentro and other type of this genus but I still don't even have the Papo Running T-rex, Schleich T-rex, and Carnegie Spinosaurus.

You'll want to move quick on the Kentro--it has been discontinued.

Patrx

I'm gonna side with Gwangi on this one. I'd explain why, but he already pointed out basically everything I'd have said in his first post here. Safari's still got some accuracy issues (they've not gotten the hang of certatopsian hands just yet, for one), but generally speaking, you can't find more up-to-date dinosaurs outside of tiny gashapon figures. The big feet have been a problem lately, though.

dinohunter24

Quote from: tyrantqueen on August 25, 2013, 08:25:29 AM
QuoteSo many dinosaurs that I need to buy.  I want to say my next dinosaurs haul is specifically Stego and Kentro and other type of this genus but I still don't even have the Papo Running T-rex, Schleich T-rex, and Carnegie Spinosaurus.
In my opinion, none of Schleich's tyrannosaurus are worth buying. Don't waste your money.

I read your post, we are somewhat opposite.  Your more of a collector/sculptor, while I treat it more as a toy/model, and that the reason why I have no interest in sideshow collectible or other re-skin model.  I'm actually different from a lot of people, I plan on using these model to teach my son about dinosaurs when I have a son or daughter so as long as the dinosaur look good, even if it cartoony, I am fine with that. 

What is your reason for disliking the big green Schleich T-rex?  Is it because it isn't accurate, cartoon looking, weird bird feet, and that it pale in comparison to Papo Running T-rex? 

SBell

Quote from: dinohunter24 on August 25, 2013, 08:39:30 AM
Quote from: tyrantqueen on August 25, 2013, 08:25:29 AM

I read your post, we are somewhat opposite.  Your more of a collector/sculptor, while I treat it more as a toy/model, and that the reason why I have no interest in sideshow collectible or other re-skin model.  I'm actually different from a lot of people, I plan on using these model to teach my son about dinosaurs when I have a son or daughter so as long as the dinosaur look good, even if it cartoony, I am fine with that. 

What is your reason for disliking the big green Schleich T-rex?  Is it because it isn't accurate, cartoon looking, weird bird feet, and that it pale in comparison to Papo Running T-rex?

See, I don't purchase high-end models either (FaunaCasts excluded). I prefer to collect toys/figures; I think there is a lot of value and ksill that goes into making them well, and I like to increase the diversity my collection represents as much as possible.

And I cannot honestly purchase Schleich dinos anymore.

I would, will, and have never bought a Schleich T.rex. If you want to use them as teaching models, they are probably the least accurate of them all (Papo is a little too JP-inspired but otherwise look about right). Schelichs have moved away completely from accuracy to focus on being mass-market-toys (although even their original T.rex in the Repolicasaurus line may have been among the worst ever made that was supposed to be museum-quality; it was an unabashed tripod with not even a semblance of horizontal posture!). We are in the Safari thread--have you considered the most recent Safari T.rex? It is a biped, it is well-crafted and it is based in reality--it is meant to be as properly representative as possible, but still be a toy model.

tanystropheus

Quote from: tyrantqueen on August 25, 2013, 12:33:53 AM
At the moment, with the sculptor they are using...I hate this line :-\ I will admit they have released a few nice (but not amazing) figures (Vagaceratops, Dimorphodon, Elasmosaurus) but I hate their Ceratosaurus, Acrocanthosaurus, Gryposaurus, and Dracorex models. With a passion.

If they started using the sculptor they used for their Brachiosaurus, Velociraptor, Nigersaurus, etc., I would love their models again....

I agree with what you are saying for the most part. I miss the era of the WS Dunkleosteus, Coelacanth, Postosuchus, Nigersaurus, Triceratops, Rhamphorhynchus! What's wrong with the Gryposaurus? The head sculpt is magnificent in my opinion. It looks like a nice large hadrosaur. The scutes running down its back could have been painted on a bit more carefully.

The Diabloceratops also looks good in person (Although, the Vagaceratops is superior). And, the Gastornis seems somewhat pleasant based on the circulating pictures (but that will also depend on whether or not you regard it as a part of the dinosaur line)

Takama

Quote from: tanystropheus on August 25, 2013, 06:54:27 PM
At the moment, with the sculptor they are using...I hate this line :-\ I will admit they have released a few nice (but not amazing) figures (Vagaceratops, Dimorphodon, Elasmosaurus) but I hate their Ceratosaurus, Acrocanthosaurus, Gryposaurus, and Dracorex models. With a passion.

If they started using the sculptor they used for their Brachiosaurus, Velociraptor, Nigersaurus, etc., I would love their models again....

I agree with what you are saying for the most part. I miss the era of the WS Dunkleosteus, Coelacanth, Postosuchus, Nigersaurus, Triceratops, Rhamphorhynchus! What's wrong with the Gryposaurus? The head sculpt is magnificent in my opinion. It looks like a nice large hadrosaur. The scutes running on its back could have been painted on a bit more carefully.

The Diabloceratops also looks good in person (Although, the Vagaceratops is superior). And, the Gastornis seems somewhat pleasant based on the circulating pictures (but that will also depend on whether or not you regard it as a part of the dinosaur line)

may I remind you that Gastornis is a dinosaur

tanystropheus

Quote from: Takama on August 25, 2013, 07:00:38 PM
Quote from: tanystropheus on August 25, 2013, 06:54:27 PM

I agree with what you are saying for the most part. I miss the era of the WS Dunkleosteus, Coelacanth, Postosuchus, Nigersaurus, Triceratops, Rhamphorhynchus! What's wrong with the Gryposaurus? The head sculpt is magnificent in my opinion. It looks like a nice large hadrosaur. The scutes running on its back could have been painted on a bit more carefully.

may I remind you that Gastornis is a dinosaur

Yes, it is  :)

tyrantqueen

postsaurischian

I personally do not come down on Safari for the not-so-good figures. I speak in high terms of them for the good ones.
Come on, meanwhile there are so many Dinosaur toys around ... it's good for my purse that not each and every figure is a 10 points must-have :)!

Takama

Dinohunter24, The schelich models are terrible replications of dinosaurs. And TQ pretty much explained what's wrong with there T-Rex. About the only model that can be used as a accurate representation is there Parasaurolophus

You are better off with Safari Ltd or Favorite Soft models, They are sculpted with accuracy in mind

Seijun

If you like JP inspired rexes, the Papo rex is far superior to the schleich green rex (the sitting papo rex, not the running rex; the running papo rex is an anorexic version of the kong v-rex). If you like accurate rexes, get the newest ones from kinto/favorite. Even the new safari rex is more accurate that schleich and papo.

As far as safari, I despise the texture stamping and clown feet on their newest models. I liked most of their models that came out in 2000 and later. Today, I would consider kinto and carnegie to be superior, but safari is hardly "terrible" considering what else is out there. If you want to collect based purely on accuracy, you should probably be looking into kaiyodo, shapeways models, or resin kits.
My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

Gwangi

Quote from: tyrantqueen on August 25, 2013, 02:27:02 AM
Well, okay, that's fine. I am going to agree to disagree here. Everyone collects for different reasons after all, and I think that we should embrace that difference. I am aspiring to become a sculptor of dinosaur models, and the texture stamping thing really bothers me from an artistic standpoint. Nonetheless, I appreciate that art is subjective and opinions differ from person to person.
I still hate the new sculpting style, but I won't stuff my opinion down your throat.
Peace :)

Sorry I got a bit long winded there and on the defensive. Your arguments against WS are good so I just felt to need to really explain myself on why I like them so much.  I hope you didn't interpret my rant as "stuffing my opinion down your throat" because that was not my intention. I understand your criticisms and respect them, they just don't bother me as much as they do you. From what I can tell you're a pretty picky collector with an interest in high quality, that is fine and admirable. I guess I'm somewhere in the middle ground where quality is concerned. Like Sbell, I too mostly just collect toys...and I know they're toys and being toys, I don't think they're bad.

dinohunter24

Quote from: tyrantqueen on August 25, 2013, 07:33:20 PM
QuoteI agree with what you are saying for the most part. I miss the era of the WS Dunkleosteus, Coelacanth, Postosuchus, Nigersaurus, Triceratops, Rhamphorhynchus! What's wrong with the Gryposaurus? The head sculpt is magnificent in my opinion. It looks like a nice large hadrosaur. The scutes running down its back could have been painted on a bit more carefully.
The head is nice, I agree. I'm just put off by the chunky feet and sloppy paintwork.

You wish to teach your son about dinosaurs, yet you don't care about accuracy at all? You want him to know the correct facts, right? Then the Schleich Tyrannosaurus (whichever sculpt you choose) is the wrong choice for that.

I never brought up the Papo running rex. I think that the running rex is a nice model, but completely based in fantasy. So I would not use that to teach a kid either.

Why do I dislike the green Schleich rex? Because it's just Schleich's attempt to pander to the JP crowd, but in a really shoddy way. Nothing on that model looks like a real tyrannosaurus. Again, it is a fantasy creature.

Here is a skeleton by Scott Hartman. He is a top paleontologist, so his work reflects the most up to date thinking. This is his idea about the anatomy of Tyrannosaurus

Comparing the two, you can see how incorrect the Schleich version really is.

Feet are too big, arms are too large (and bent wrongly), body is mishapen, tail is too short etc.

Oh, by the way, I actually have more toys than kits/sculptures. Mostly because there are toys out there that I consider to be very well made. And many resin kits are too expensive or big for me to get.

That is very interesting, doesn't look like JP dinosaur either.  In your opinion, as a "toy" which T-rex should I buy (Wild Safari is a nono because of its size is too small), something along the size of a Papo T-rex is what I'm looking for. 

SBell

If you are looking for a larger figure, have you considered the CollectA Deluxe 1:40 figure? It's fairly bi, unique posture, and not too inaccurate. But, at least as far as large models go, it's inaccuracies are not based on or inspired by another franchise (King Kong, JP). And right about now I'm guessing that someone will show me where that model came from ;D

Also, skip the big Geoworld T.rex. I don't know about the Jurassic hunters line one, etc, but their big model is capital A AWFUL. It makes the original Schleich look marginally less silly.

tyrantqueen

QuoteThat is very interesting, doesn't look like JP dinosaur either.  In your opinion, as a "toy" which T-rex should I buy (Wild Safari is a nono because of its size is too small), something along the size of a Papo T-rex is what I'm looking for.
This schleich green rex is a obvious copy of the Papo Tyrannosaurus, which is a copy of the JP rex. So, it's basically a copy of a copy. I personally liked the Carnegie Anniversary Tyrannosaurus, but it is quite an old sculpt and has a few issues with warping of the face (and the tail position which probably wasn't possible anatomically) The Battat Tyrannosaurus is a good size and very accurate, but it has become very expensive so it's probably not an option for you. Maybe the Bullyland Tyrannosaurus? I don't like the sculpting style personally, but it isn't too bad accuracy wise (and works as a kid's toy)

Maybe the other forum members can chip in too.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: