News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Wild Safari: New and Old

Started by Takama, June 09, 2013, 09:55:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: dinohunter24 on August 31, 2013, 07:14:05 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on August 31, 2013, 05:36:59 PM
It's a good thing though..given the pose I'm almost sure it would topple over without it.

Having bases on figures make it more of a model than a figure in my opinion.

Recall the classic Army Men figures pretty much all had bases on them and they were certainly toys but I have some some hand paint them really well..it all depends on your views in the end I think. 

dinohunter24

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on August 31, 2013, 08:13:09 PM
It's a good thing though..given the pose I'm almost sure it would topple over without it.

Recall the classic Army Men figures pretty much all had bases on them and they were certainly toys but I have some some hand paint them really well..it all depends on your views in the end I think.

That is true but it slightly different.  They can't stand without bases and they don't try to eat other men so having base is understandable.   >:D

Concavenator

I like the line myself.It's cool to me.The species they choose are cool to me.And they have introduced some nice species in the toy market.Gryposaurus,Vagaceratops,Dmorphodon,and,Diabloceratops,if we assume they announced theirs earlier than CollectA.However they could introduce troodontids and alvarezsaurids.Badly missed from the market.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: dinohunter24 on September 01, 2013, 02:45:08 AM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on August 31, 2013, 08:13:09 PM

Recall the classic Army Men figures pretty much all had bases on them and they were certainly toys but I have seen some hand paint them really well..it all depends on your views in the end I think.

That is true but it slightly different.  They can't stand without bases and they don't try to eat other men so having base is understandable.   >:D

Neither can some of these dinosaur toys.. lol  ..and they could try to eat other men..if they were zombie soldiers ! lol

There are a lot of the smaller dinosaurs that don't have any figures made of them still..so hopefully one company or the other will give it a go.

tyrantqueen

CityRaptor

Actually it sounds like he is showing his point. Honestly, I would be a bit bitter aswell if I was a sculptor and you accused me of something over and over again.

Same for the feet. While they may not be realistic, Mr. Watson explained why he sculpted them that way. Something that was actually rather obvious. So yes, either large feet, a tripod or a base.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

tyrantqueen

CityRaptor

Well, you accused him of it over and over again.

Oh no

tyrantqueen

Quote from: CityRaptor on September 03, 2013, 06:14:15 PM
Well, you accused him of it over and over again to the point where I also usually skipped your comments when it comes to Safari, since I already knew what they would be about. Hope you don't take offense to that.
Hahaha, how ironic.

CityRaptor

Yes, I don't need to read the same complaints about texture stamps and clown feet again and again.
And yes, I changed the post above since I was not sure if it would offend you. Well, was a bit too late.

Anyways, the point is still the same.
Oh no

tyrantqueen

Patrx

Quote from: tyrantqueen on September 03, 2013, 05:36:34 PM
QuoteWhat I do use are individual tools that I make that produce one scale at a time and it is very time consuming so that is why I resent your lazy comments.

Well, that was rather rude. How are my comments "lazy"? I take the time to check my grammar and punctuation, my spelling, and state my honest opinions.

If I may chime in on this bit, TQ - when I read Mr. Watson's post, I assumed he meant not to imply that your comments were lazy, but to specify your comments in which you referred to his sculpting as lazy - hence "'lazy' comments". Perhaps I'm mistaken, but that made more sense to me.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Patrx on September 03, 2013, 06:42:11 PM
Quote from: tyrantqueen on September 03, 2013, 05:36:34 PM
QuoteWhat I do use are individual tools that I make that produce one scale at a time and it is very time consuming so that is why I resent your lazy comments.

Well, that was rather rude. How are my comments "lazy"? I take the time to check my grammar and punctuation, my spelling, and state my honest opinions.

If I may chime in on this bit, TQ - when I read Mr. Watson's post, I assumed he meant not to imply that your comments were lazy, but to specify your comments in which you referred to his sculpting as lazy - hence "'lazy' comments". Perhaps I'm mistaken, but that made more sense to me.
Oh, I see. I guess that would make sense.

Well, I apologise if I offended Doug Watson with my "lazy" comment. I know sculpting is not an easy task for anyone. I appreciate it takes a lot of time and talent to accomplish. I do not care for his particular style, but I do not mean to infer that he doesn't put any effort or care into his work. It's just not my cup of tea.

DinoToyForum

Welcome to the forum Doug! It is great to have feedback straight from the source :)

To echo Patrx, it sounds like a crossed wire on the lazy comments to me, since Doug was not calling TQ lazy, just defending TQs accusations of being lazy himself. Having worked with Doug on a figure or two, I can say with certainty this is far from the case, and since TQ apologised, hopefully we can let it pass.

Everything_Dinosaur

Everything Dinosaur's video review of the Wild Safari Dinos Gryposaurus that came out this year.  In this six minute video we comment on the model and briefly compare what we know about the fossil material ascribed to this genus to the work done by the Safari Ltd design team on this replica:

Gryposaurus video review: Wild Safari Dinos Gryposaurus Video Review by Everything Dinosaur

Everything_Dinosaur

Everything Dinosaur, promised Safari Ltd that we would put a video review together of the 2014 Wild Safari Dinosaurs Megalodon model.  The video is six minutes long and provides a review, touches upon the naming of "Megalodon" an issue that we tend to skirt around ourselves by sitting on the fence (C. megalodon).  We look at how this shark has been interpreted etc.  Having had reservations about this replica when it was in the prototype stage, the model is actually quite good in our opinion.

Megalodon video review: YouTube Video of Megalodon model

Blade-of-the-Moon

I think it's just hard to get over the fact it looks just like any other Great White Shark replica...and Safari has done better versions of one of those in the past.  It was mentioned before but a smaller prehistoric whale would have made it better..something to show just how large this one is I think.

Daspletodave

I'd like to see Safari do another "Dinosaurs of China" special edition. Back in 1994 Safari released a Yangchuanosaurus, Therizinosaurus, and Mamenchisaurus all sculpted by Ely Kish. They came in a box with a fossilized backdrop. They could do a Tarbosaurus, Tuojiangosaurus, and Shantungosaurus. Or a "Dinosaurs of Mongolia" series with Protoceratops, Velociraptor, and Gallimimus (but in 1/20 scale gicen the small size of these dinos). Or a "Ceratopsians of Western North America" to showcase Centrosaurus, Einiosaurus, Pentaceratops, Torosaurus, etc. I would nix the box and fossilized backdrop and just concentrate on the models.

I think Safari is getting a little stale. I think they need to shake things up a bit and bring in a "guest" sculptor to do some unique creations. Like what Favorite did by bringing in Kazunari Araki to do a "reboot" of the entire softmodel line.

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: Daspletodave on March 17, 2014, 10:51:58 PM
I'd like to see Safari do another "Dinosaurs of China" special edition. Back in 1994 Safari released a Yangchuanosaurus, Therizinosaurus, and Mamenchisaurus all sculpted by Ely Kish. They came in a box with a fossilized backdrop. They could do a Tarbosaurus, Tuojiangosaurus, and Shantungosaurus. Or a "Dinosaurs of Mongolia" series with Protoceratops, Velociraptor, and Gallimimus (but in 1/20 scale gicen the small size of these dinos). Or a "Ceratopsians of Western North America" to showcase Centrosaurus, Einiosaurus, Pentaceratops, Torosaurus, etc. I would nix the box and fossilized backdrop and just concentrate on the models.

I think Safari is getting a little stale. I think they need to shake things up a bit and bring in a "guest" sculptor to do some unique creations. Like what Favorite did by bringing in Kazunari Araki to do a "reboot" of the entire softmodel line.
The original dinosaurs of China series also had a velociraptor, that did not have the fossil backdrop but was part of the set of four.I would pray if they do another dinosaurs of china or mongolia set, they do not stiff the psittacosaurus again this time, as it is arguably one of the most well recognized of dinosaurs from the area. Would prefer a ceratopsians of Mongolia set, that contained protoceratops, psittacosaurus, koreaceratops, and perhaps yinlong. Now that would be an amazing set, rather than constantly redoing more derived ceratopsians.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Daspletodave

Shapeways has good models of the protoceratops, psittacosaurus, and yinlong.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: