You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Do you mind bases for dinosaur figures?

Started by Concavenator, July 30, 2013, 10:32:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you want bases on dinosaur figures?

Yes,I want bipedal /theropod dinosaur figures to have a base for stability(all figures)
2 (11.8%)
I don't mind.If the figure seems to be prone to fall,then yes.
9 (52.9%)
No,I don't want them to have bases.
6 (35.3%)

Total Members Voted: 17

deanm

To clarify, I did not mean yourself Patrx in my comments - plus I understood your position on the bases (based upon the thread).

Patrx

therizinosaurus

Quote from: Patrx on July 31, 2013, 03:41:29 PM
To clarify, I'm quite aware of the reasons for which most companies prefer to avoid using bases. What makes me wonder is the number of collectors who appear to dislike them, hence my earlier inquiry.

While I'm not completely opposed to them, I much prefer figures without bases, and I think the discussion in the last few posts really hit the nail on the head--figures with bases are too much like sculptures and too little like toys. Like it or not, we're on the dinosaur TOY forum--so as amazing as Sideshow Models and resin kits may be, not every company can be like that. When I was a kid, I would have hated bases on my Battats and Carnegies--it would have ruined the play value. Now that I'm older, I still feel like bases are unnecessary--I'd rather have anatomy slightly compromised, and play value not at all compromised.
As far as I'm concerned--Marx didn't need bases. MPC didn't need bases. Invicta didn't need bases. Carnegie/Battat/Schleich/Bullyland didn't need bases. So I don't see why, all of a sudden, figures need bases.

Just my opinion :)

Pawnosuchus

I totallty agree with Theriz. Never had bases when i was a kid, maybe that made me bias against them, but I have another selfish reason. My collection is displayed on a huge diorama. There are hills and nooks, rocks, etc. throughout. Bases only sit on flat ground. I have no problems finding places where "unbalanced" figures can sit. I find it somewhat ironic that one can complain about a piece being unrealistic while prefering it to be eternally rooted to the same spot.

Patrx

Ah, I think I get it, now. It seems to me that it all relates to why we collect, as discussed in another thread. Bases are great for folks like me who want sculptures of dinosaurs and only buy toys because sculptures are too expensive. However, if one collects toy dinosaurs for other reasons, such as nostalgia, bases can be distracting and unattractive. Does that seem to sum it up?

Quote from: Pawnosuchus on July 31, 2013, 06:03:08 PM
My collection is displayed on a huge diorama. There are hills and nooks, rocks, etc. throughout. Bases only sit on flat ground. I have no problems finding places where "unbalanced" figures can sit.

You've got a point, there, in the sense that a detailed, specific base can make dioramas and similar displays difficult to construct.

Quote from: Pawnosuchus on July 31, 2013, 06:03:08 PMI find it somewhat ironic that one can complain about a piece being unrealistic while prefering it to be eternally rooted to the same spot.

This, I think I can clear up. If my own preferences are anything much to go by, those who like bases don't feel that way because the bases establish a static setting for the animal; but because, as I mentioned earlier, the alternative methods of dealing with balance have the effect of making the product look too "toylike."

John

Quote from: Patrx on July 31, 2013, 01:15:02 PM
Quote from: John on July 31, 2013, 07:00:24 AM
In the case of Velociraptor,the feathers on at least one of it's forelimbs could be sneakily used as a third point of contact while maintaining a horizontal stance with it's tail sticking out high off the ground if one must absolutely not have a base.The good thing about the base option is that it can open up a much wider variety of poses for any bipedal dinosaur.

I didn't mind that trick with the Carnegie Beipaiosaurus, at it's mostly leaning on a giant, heavy claw - but a Velociraptor putting weight on a delicate, vaned feather strains credulity.

All you seem to be doing is being contrary to anything I say,so just accept that not everyone agrees with you and move on.
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Patrx

Quote from: John on July 31, 2013, 09:43:06 PM
All you seem to be doing is being contrary to anything I say,so just accept that not everyone agrees with you and move on.

I think a review of my posts will reveal that I'm quite aware of the nature of opinions, and have sought to gain insight regarding differing viewponts. This is a conversation, not a debate. There's no need to imply that I've been irrational or confrontational.  :-\

amargasaurus cazaui

I tend to enjoy reading Patrx thoughts and ideas John.  Just me speaking, but i see some wisdom in some of the things he tosses out there. I guess we all have ideas and thoughts that are unique. For instance Patrx would put feathers on fish and amphibians if I let him, so we agreed to disagree about feathers and remain friends. I think thats the idea of a forum, to read what others think and share, and not so much that have to agree with our own ideas or methods. Myself I learn alot from that.
  You are both great members and give awesome insights , and I appreciate your sharing.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

tyrantqueen

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on July 31, 2013, 10:48:17 PM
I tend to enjoy reading Patrx thoughts and ideas John.  Just me speaking, but i see some wisdom in some of the things he tosses out there. I guess we all have ideas and thoughts that are unique. For instance Patrx would put feathers on fish and amphibians if I let him, so we agreed to disagree about feathers and remain friends. I think thats the idea of a forum, to read what others think and share, and not so much that have to agree with our own ideas or methods. Myself I learn alot from that.
  You are both great members and give awesome insights , and I appreciate your sharing.

No, just....no.

amargasaurus cazaui

Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Patrx

Feathery fish, eh? What an intriguing notion; let me get out my sketchbook  ;D

I think you're quite right! There are many places on the Internet where differences of opinion consistently lead to fruitless conflict and debate. This, fortuitously, doesn't seem to be one of those places, so I tend to learn quite a bit around here. For example, in this thread, I learned why some people don't want their dinosaur figures to be stuck to bases. Life-changing information? Hardly, but it's interesting to me all the same - partially because I disagree.

John

Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

tyrantqueen

Sorry, I did it again with my big mouth :-X

I don't agree with all of your opinions, Patrx, but posting that facepalm image was a bit mean of me. So I apologise, I'll take it down if you want. Sometimes I say things without thinking them through. It's an aspect of my personality that I need to work on :-\

You have a very approachable, kind attitude, and I find that admirable.

Takama

Quote from: tyrantqueen on July 31, 2013, 11:37:49 PM
Sorry, I did it again with my big mouth :-X

I don't agree with all of your opinions, Patrx, but posting that facepalm image was a bit mean of me. So I apologise, I'll take it down if you want. Sometimes I say things without thinking them through. It's an aspect of my personality that I need to work on :-\

You have a very approachable, kind attitude, and I find that admirable.

your not alone in that regard.    I sometimes have the same issue.

Pachyrhinosaurus

I prefer higher end figures and resin kits to have bases whereas I could go either way with toys.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Bokisaurus

Quote from: deanm on July 31, 2013, 03:32:06 PM
I agree with your points - companies such as Collecta and Safari run a fine balancing act between trying to satisfy both market needs (as their awareness of the collectors market has increased - but the bread and butter sales still come from toy versus collector buying).

Reading the forum here it is clear that a lot of members don't understand that the main focus of a lot of companies is children's toy market and not the collector. That is not to say that the toy companies should not try to get better accuracy etc to satisfy collectors also - just that be aware the two markets are very different.

Other companies such as Sideshow or Mattel who cater to a specific market are not under the same sort pressures (essentially their focus on one market means that the other markets needs are not considered/important/...).  Sideshow has more leniency in this compared to Mattel because parents typically are not going to buy a Sideshow figure for a kid whereas collectors will buy Mattel...  ;D

Nicely said, totally agree with you on this one.
I personally prefer figures without base, however, there are just some species that are so small, or have feet that are so tiny that it would be impossible for them to be accurate and still be able to balance and stand.
CollectA have demonstrated this point, some of their recent figures have feet that are very well proportioned and accurate, however, the figures are  unstable and easily fall due to the small size. It really is amazing that they can even balance ;)

David Phantomhive

I think dinos without bases AND separate diorama base products is a good idea!  That way, everyone is happy!

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: David Phantomhive on August 02, 2013, 07:18:36 AM
I think dinos without bases AND separate diorama base products is a good idea!  That way, everyone is happy!

You have make peg holes that will fit all the different ones though...and some may not fit into the terrain as well as others.  Honestly this is only a problem with bipedal dinos I guess.. lol

David Phantomhive

Yeah, that makes sense.  I have obviously never done the diorama thing before lol.   ;D

amargasaurus cazaui

I am not real particular either way, long as get to play first base.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: