You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Recent Acquisitions (Archive, March 2012 - July 2018)

Started by Himmapaan, March 13, 2012, 05:48:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SBell

Quote from: CityRaptor on October 04, 2013, 07:17:02 PM

Kaiyodo:
Two Generations of Tyrants!

The irony being that the early generation is the more modern interpretation! That retro one wasn't released for at least 3 or four more years!

FUTABA

Do you know when they were both released? The retro looking Tyrannosaur looks really deliberately old school, was that Kaiyodo's intention, in order to pay homage, or was it just a bad sculpt? (Which would be a rarity for them).
I really really like blue things.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: FUTABA on October 05, 2013, 09:47:13 AM
Do you know when they were both released? The retro looking Tyrannosaur looks really deliberately old school, was that Kaiyodo's intention, in order to pay homage, or was it just a bad sculpt? (Which would be a rarity for them).
I believe it was a deliberate intention. Kaiyodo has done retro sculpts for their line before, as well. See here

The Tyrannosaurus isn't part of the bottlecap line, but I think it might be a celebration figure or something like that. Showing a modern interpretation vs an old, discarded one.

postsaurischian

:D Finally Judith! :D

Better pictures as soon as better weather .......

tyrantqueen

FUTABA

Quote from: postsaurischian on October 05, 2013, 01:22:17 PM

Wow they're stunning. Who are they by?

postsaurischian

Quote from: FUTABA on October 05, 2013, 01:34:33 PM

from left to right: Shapeways Velociraptor, Chirostenotes, Deinonychus by Aaron Doyle - all painted by copper
                            Gorgosaurus 'Judith' by David Krentz, painted by Martin Garratt
                            Kaiyodo Dinotales Archaeopteryx & Kaiyodo Dino Expo Microraptor

sauroid

Quote from: postsaurischian on October 05, 2013, 01:22:17 PM

beautiful display of high end models

@SBell
not sure which brand that Mosasaurus is, it came in as a freebie/contaminant among my Kaiyodo boxes
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Nebuloid

Wow I ordered the shapeways deinonychus myself, might have to add those other two ! They really go great together.

Spinosaurus Aegyptiacus

"I believe implicitly that every young man in the world is fascinated with either sharks or dinosaurs."
-Peter Benchley

sauroid

"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Roselaar

Just picked these up in my new regular Papo store:

Collecta Deluxe Ginkgo Biloba.

Original green Papo T-Rex. A side effect of the store's search for a brown Papo Running T-Rex. A search they assure me is soon over... :) I might sell this green Rex some time, but for the moment I'm hanging on to it. They still have some more of these by the way.

Papo Dimetrodon! A real beauty, one of Papo's best figures so far. Also a reassurance they CAN make exquisite non-dinosaurs too. Let's hope they master marine reptiles soon as well.

FUTABA

Quote from: postsaurischian on October 05, 2013, 02:07:03 PM
Quote from: FUTABA on October 05, 2013, 01:34:33 PM

from left to right: Shapeways Velociraptor, Chirostenotes, Deinonychus by Aaron Doyle - all painted by copper
                            Gorgosaurus 'Judith' by David Krentz, painted by Martin Garratt
                            Kaiyodo Dinotales Archaeopteryx & Kaiyodo Dino Expo Microraptor

Thanks for the info. Might have to put some of those on my 'to get' list for future reference.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Beautiful paint work by Martin on Judith..I'm thinking to have mine repainted. I bought her already painted and she looks a bit like a JP Raptor. lol

SBell

Quote from: tyrantqueen on October 05, 2013, 11:32:59 AM
I believe it was a deliberate intention. Kaiyodo has done retro sculpts for their line before, as well. See here

The Tyrannosaurus isn't part of the bottlecap line, but I think it might be a celebration figure or something like that. Showing a modern interpretation vs an old, discarded one.

It was indeed deliberate--they were the Secret figures from the Dinotales 3 line (I think around 2002). The other one is the original Dinotales T.rex (before the v2 resculpt and all the repaints) from about 1998-1999.

And it is separate from the retro series, which was very intentionally meant to reflect older ideas of dinosaur reconstruction.

radman

I'm a big fan of Galileo (of Geene Models), so I was very happy to acquire this beautiful 1:35 Saurolophus model, last one he had, apparently.  He was kind enough to throw in this awesome Hypacrosaurus carcass from a discontinued kit as a gift as well.  Look forward to seeing both of these in some upcoming dioramas!

Spinosaurus Aegyptiacus

"I believe implicitly that every young man in the world is fascinated with either sharks or dinosaurs."
-Peter Benchley

FUTABA

Quote from: SBell on October 06, 2013, 05:44:12 PM
Quote from: tyrantqueen on October 05, 2013, 11:32:59 AM

It was indeed deliberate--they were the Secret figures from the Dinotales 3 line (I think around 2002). The other one is the original Dinotales T.rex (before the v2 resculpt and all the repaints) from about 1998-1999.

And it is separate from the retro series, which was very intentionally meant to reflect older ideas of dinosaur reconstruction.

Ah thanks guys. :)

Also a couple of days ago I bought the last 3 issues of the Gon Manga by Masashi Tanaka, which means I have the full series now.

amargasaurus cazaui

Gogonzola's 1/72 Cryos, paired with Martin Garrat base and paint....stunning piece.

Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

FUTABA

The poses on those Cryos look so natural and realistic. I much prefer that to the ones that just stand there seemingly roaring for no reason because "dinoswars go rawr" and wanting to kill everything around them in a blind rage.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: