News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Recent Acquisitions (Archive, March 2012 - July 2018)

Started by Himmapaan, March 13, 2012, 05:48:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyrantqueen

Interesting modification Archosaur. I assume you used the hot water/hair dryer treatment?  :)

Blade-of-the-Moon

AWESOME pic ! It really shows off the detail as well..nice camera too.. ;D

JohannesB

Quote from: tyrantqueen on June 05, 2012, 03:48:41 PM
Interesting modification Archosaur. I assume you used the hot water/hair dryer treatment?  :)

Yes, it is satisfyingly simple and effective. (I dip it in boiling water.) I tried it on some Carnegie 'tripods' too, but that did not really work, as they have such small feet. I do like the Carnegie toy model line the best, though, and this Brachiosaurus has a lot going for it, especially after my modification (not so much for reasons of scientific accuracy - because I assume it is - as for reasons of personal taste).

JohannesB

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on June 05, 2012, 05:18:35 PM

Thanks :) The effect is created through HDR. Very simple. (And on an historic DSLR :P )

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Archosaur on June 05, 2012, 05:28:34 PM

Thanks :) The effect is created through HDR. Very simple. (And on an historic DSLR :P )

Ok..I understand the HD part. lol  I'm not tech savy at all.. ;D

All I have a simple Kodak Easy Share..and I'm entirely sure how everything on it works.. ;)

I'm curious, how long have you them modified for now ? I was under the impression that heating worked on the WS figures but the Carnegie collection was more..rubbery ?  So the heating trick didn't always work . If it does  I may need to pick up another..maybe try me heat gun on it. ;)

JohannesB

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on June 05, 2012, 05:37:54 PM

All I have a simple Kodak Easy Share..and I'm entirely sure how everything on it works.. ;)

I'm curious, how long have you them modified for now ? I was under the impression that heating worked on the WS figures but the Carnegie collection was more..rubbery ?  So the heating trick didn't always work . If it does  I may need to pick up another..maybe try me heat gun on it. ;)

Hmmm, I don't know how the Safari models compare to the Carnegie models on account of material. In any case, I simply go by trial and error, and I have found that the material of the Carnegie Diplodocus and Brachiosaurus holds well to reshaping through heating (with boiling water - then it gets indeed very rubbery) and cooling off (with cold running water). I have not put them in the freezer. When reheated with boiling water, the models take their original shapes. I don't know if the effect of heating - reshaping - cooling will hold. It has hold now for a few days. If, at room temperature, they slowly revert to their original shapes, well, then it has all been a waste of time and I am left with some gorgeous models anyhow :)

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Archosaur on June 05, 2012, 06:08:42 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on June 05, 2012, 05:37:54 PM

Hmmm, I don't know how the Safari models compare to the Carnegie models on account of material. In any case, I simply go by trial and error, and I have found that the material of the Carnegie Diplodocus and Brachiosaurus holds well to reshaping through heating (with boiling water - then it gets indeed very rubbery) and cooling off (with cold running water). I have not put them in the freezer. When reheated with boiling water, the models take their original shapes. I don't know if the effect of heating - reshaping - cooling will hold. It has hold now for a few days. If, at room temperature, they slowly revert to their original shapes, well, then it has all been a waste of time and I am left with some gorgeous models anyhow :)

You have a point there. ;)  I think the key is getting them to a heat level that normal circumstances can't duplicate. None of my WS pieces have warped back into their original shape yet..of course I keep it cooler as well.

Have you photographed any other Dinos yet ?

Brachiosaurus

Quote from: Archosaur on June 05, 2012, 02:34:17 PM
Just received my Carnegie Brachiosaurus. And yes, I have been tampering with it:

For comparison, together with the Carnegie Diplodocus:

How did you cool the plastic/ rubber?

Seijun

My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

sauroid

i found this Invicta Apatosaurus while looking through the junks in a garage sale (i thought i was hallucinating when i spotted it). too bad the tip of the tail is missing otherwise it is in great condition (i had to bathe it when i got it home though).

"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Bokisaurus

Quote from: postsaurischian on June 02, 2012, 06:22:57 PM
Cool Buffalo :).

Hey - I bought 3 figures in a real shop yesterday ;D. That doesn't happen too often.

Schleich pair of Warthogs & Bullyland Australopithecus

..... and a Yujin Velociraptor from the net:

I love these warthogs, I have the family,too. That apeman, nice touch ;D
If I remember correct, I think that little fuzzy Yugin raptor came in 3 other color versions.

Bokisaurus

Quote from: Seijun on June 06, 2012, 05:00:46 AM

Congratulations on  this set! Awesome figures, I hope it they did not break the bank! LOL! :))

@ Sauroid - I had the same problem with one of my Invicta, I fixed it by carefully shaving off and rounding the tip :)

JohannesB

Quote from: Brachiosaurus on June 06, 2012, 04:00:59 AM
Quote from: Archosaur on June 05, 2012, 02:34:17 PM
Just received my Carnegie Brachiosaurus. And yes, I have been tampering with it:

How did you cool the plastic/ rubber?

I hold it under cold running water. It sets into the redefined shape fast, but I don't know if it will hold over time. Until now - after a few days - it has :)

SBell

Roselaar

My mother got me a bag of cheap Chinasaurs on a flea market. Really nice of her, but I got so much of these already I'll just throw them in a box at the attic. Hope she won't think me ungrateful... :-/

Seijun

I have the same "problem", lol. Every Christmas and b-day someone will inevitable get me the same super set of cheap plastic chinasaurs.
My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

tyrantqueen

This is what I got :) 3 ceratopsians and a book

postsaurischian

If I could only keep a single Dinosaur book, this would be the one ;). It's my bible :).

Metallisuchus

Quote from: Seijun on June 06, 2012, 08:05:33 PM
I have the same "problem", lol. Every Christmas and b-day someone will inevitable get me the same super set of cheap plastic chinasaurs.

That's what happens to ANYBODY at Christmas/birthdays when they have a not-so-common hobby or interest. I've had that one specifically happen at least twice. I've also received cheesy guitar shirts for Christmas as well, or CD compilations of leftover hairbands performing acoustic renditions of their tired 80's hits (shakes head).

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: