News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Rate these Stego!!!

Started by dinohunter24, August 25, 2013, 08:53:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dinohunter24

Hey guys

I would like your opinion on these Stego and other similar genus from various brand, as now I am going to start my first true dinosaur genus purchase.  Also if you guys can rate it, would make it easier as well.

1. Papo Stegosaurus
2. Bullyland Stegosaurus (newest one)
3. CollectA Stegosaurus (newest one)
4. Schleich Stegosaurus
5. Carnegie Stegosaurus (the one that has both yellow and green color variant)
6. CollectA Stegosaurus (Deluxe 1:40 scale)
7. Mojo Fun Stegosaurus
8. Safari Kentrosaurus
9. CollectA Kentrosaurus (2010) release
10. CollectA Miragaia
11. CollectA Wuerhosaurus
12. CollectA Deluxe Dacentrurus
13. CollectA Deluxe Amargasaurus

Thanks guys, hopefully this help those who are concern as well. 

Blade-of-the-Moon

Well Amargasaurus is a sauropod. ;)

My top Stegosaur toys are :

Papo Stegosaurus
Carnegie Miragaia
CollectA Deluxe Dacentrurus
Dino-Riders/Smithsonian Kentrosaurus ( honestly this one should about be at the top but it's hard to find. )

If you want reviews of each figure including the other ones you asked about check out the Dinosaur Toy Blog many if not all are on thee reviewed by us here at the forums.

SBell

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on August 25, 2013, 04:18:21 PM

Papo Stegosaurus
Carnegie Miragaia
Dino-Riders/Smithsonian Kentrosaurus ( honestly this one should about be at the top but it's hard to find. )

If you want reviews of each figure including the other ones you asked about check out the Dinosaur Toy Blog many if not all are on thee reviewed by us here at the forums.

And yet the Carnegie Miragaia was missed...

EDIT--in the original list, not in yours, obviously.

Also, the CollectA Lexovisaurus.

postsaurischian

Best mass-produced rubber / vinyl Stegosaur toy figures that are currently available:

>  Carnegie Collection Miragaia (10 points)
  >  Favorite Collection Stegosaurus - old version (9 points)
  >  Wild Safari Stegosaurus - new version (9 points)
  >  Wild Safari Kentrosaurus (8 points)
  >  Papo Stegosaurus (8 points)
  >  Bullyland Stegosaurus - new version (7 points)

No CollectA recommendations, sorry :-[.

Takama

By far, the best stego out there is the Newer Wild Safari Model. Its very accurate, except for its tail (its too short) what sets this apart from all the other models is its head. The head on the real creature was small compared to the rest of its body, and the figure emulates this. Every other figure I seen has its head too big.

my second best would be the Lexovisaurus from CollectA

3rd would be the Dacentrues from CollectA

dinohunter24

Quote from: SBell on August 25, 2013, 05:57:13 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on August 25, 2013, 04:18:21 PM

Papo Stegosaurus
Carnegie Miragaia

And yet the Carnegie Miragaia was missed...

EDIT--in the original list, not in yours, obviously.

Also, the CollectA Lexovisaurus.

That not true lol.  I didn't ask about the Carnegie Miragaia because I already ordered it in my first batch of toys.  Its was one of those must have figures!!!

SBell

Well it's good you have that Mira, it's great.

I should also mention, if you can find it, that FameMaster makes a brilliant 4D puzzle Kentrosaurus. It's about the same size as the CollectA and Safari, which makes a nifty little herd. But it's more brightly painted.

Gwangi

Quote from: postsaurischian on August 25, 2013, 07:54:45 PM

Best mass-produced rubber / vinyl Stegosaur toy figures that are currently available:

>  Carnegie Collection Miragaia (10 points)
  >  Favorite Collection Stegosaurus - old version (9 points)
  >  Wild Safari Stegosaurus - new version (9 points)
  >  Wild Safari Kentrosaurus (8 points)
  >  Papo Stegosaurus (8 points)
  >  Bullyland Stegosaurus - new version (7 points)

No CollectA recommendations, sorry :-[.

Not even the CollectA Dacentrurus? Also, how do you feel about the new Favorite Stegosaurus?

Blade-of-the-Moon

Malcolm's/ Dinonikes new Stegosaurus looks pretty..well..excellent. Though whether to count it as a figure.. :?

dinohunter24

Quote from: SBell on August 25, 2013, 10:46:54 PM

I should also mention, if you can find it, that FameMaster makes a brilliant 4D puzzle Kentrosaurus. It's about the same size as the CollectA and Safari, which makes a nifty little herd. But it's more brightly painted.

I saw it on Ebay, I thought that was a puzzle and not a figure?

tanystropheus

The Papo Stegosaurus and the WS Stegosaurus look very similar, IMO--they are both pretty well done, despite inaccuracies.

The Tyco Dino Riders Kentrosaurus is probably the best representation ever made (It does happen to be out of scale with most dinosaur models, unfortunately). It is also very accurate for a DR model (similar to the Tyco Protoceratops)

CollectA's Dacentrurus is well made, realistic and lifelike.

Carnegie Miragaia is a one-of-a-kind model, and is anatomically sound. Not the best choice of color, though.

If you want to pick up a good 'retro' Stegosaurus, then you might want to consider the Tyco Stegosaurus. It is a handsome model, but it retains the "robotic" look that is characteristic of most Dino Riders.

SBell

Quote from: dinohunter24 on August 26, 2013, 04:37:17 AM

They are a 3-dimensional puzzle (the 4th D is "Detail". Yes, it's what the boxes actually say) so they need to be assembled. However, once complete they act as more of a figure or model (the company has tried rebranding them as models that require no glue or paint).

Leaving this:

And while everyone has their own opinion--really? The WS or Papo Stegosaurus? They aren't even in the same league. Says me ;).

To wit:

Top is boring-grey/green, macrocephalic Papo. Bottom is tiny-headed (but correct), colourful-but-not-ridiculous WS. There. I have an opinion. :P

tyrantqueen

My favourites are:

1. Bullyland Stegosaurus. It has good detailing and it's a decent size.
2. Carnegie Miragaia. Very natural looking and not overly exaggerated in any aspect. The skin wrinkles and details are good.
3. CollectA Deluxe Dacentrurus. A well sculpted figure that is in an unorthodox pose, for a stegosaur.
4. Papo Stegosaurus. It's probably incorrect in some way, but it is so well sculpted and organic looking that I can ignore those flaws.
5. This probably doesn't count, but Dan LoRusso's Stegosaurus resin kit. Here's a photo I took of it faced up against a Ceratosaurus ;D

I do like the Safari Ltd. Stegosaurus, but it's just too tiny :( It looks a bit comical when faced up again Papo's Allo.

Hate to sound like a smart alec, but you forgot the Safari Great Dinos Stegosaurus ;)

tanystropheus

Quote from: SBell on August 26, 2013, 04:46:29 AM

And while everyone has their own opinion--really? The WS or Papo Stegosaurus? They aren't even in the same league. Says me ;).

To wit:

Top is boring-grey/green, macrocephalic Papo. Bottom is tiny-headed (but correct), colourful-but-not-ridiculous WS. There. I have an opinion. :P

Haha, they look like they would make a good mating pair (similar to the Schleich Para and Papo Para- they look lovely together) ;D

dinohunter24

Quote from: SBell on August 26, 2013, 04:46:29 AM

They are a 3-dimensional puzzle (the 4th D is "Detail". Yes, it's what the boxes actually say) so they need to be assembled. However, once complete they act as more of a figure or model (the company has tried rebranding them as models that require no glue or paint).

Leaving this:

To wit:

Thank you for the picture.  How are the puzzle dinosaurs?  Is it easy to assemble them together and can they be play with, meaning they won't fall apart?

SBell

They vary in their difficulty to assemble, and some of them are easier to play with than others. Others fall apart.

Seijun

Dont forget every kaiyodo dinotales stegosaurid. They are no longer in production but they are easy to come by on ebay.
My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

SBell

Quote from: Seijun on August 29, 2013, 05:06:48 AM
Dont forget every kaiyodo dinotales stegosaurid. They are no longer in production but they are easy to come by on ebay.

But those would be figures that couldn't be played with--way to breakable.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: SBell on August 29, 2013, 02:51:42 PM
Quote from: Seijun on August 29, 2013, 05:06:48 AM

But those would be figures that couldn't be played with--way to breakable.

Increasingly I feel we need to define the term figure/toy ect in these topics.. lol

dinohunter24

So do you guys only care about figures or are you fine with action figures?  Personally I prefer action figures because they are more playable and have more posture. 

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: