News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Cretaceous Creations studios updates and images

Started by sfstudios, March 25, 2012, 04:38:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tylosaurus

Yeah it sure is 8) Actually that pattern reminds me of the Black 'n' Blue Invicta Mamenchisaurus:

Blade-of-the-Moon

Still need to find one of those Mamenchisaurs...painted or non :)

Tylosaurus

I have an idea for that blade :P Make one @ Scale 1:1 :P you have the room for those right in your massive front and back yards

But yeah to have the originals, I understand they are sweet, I'll keep a lookout for ya mate 8)

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Tylosaurus on April 01, 2012, 06:47:40 AM
I have an idea for that blade :P Make one @ Scale 1:1 :P you have the room for those right in your massive front and back yards

But yeah to have the originals, I understand they are sweet, I'll keep a lookout for ya mate 8)

lol I still can't do full adults.. ;)

Thanks !

Tylosaurus

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on April 01, 2012, 09:10:33 AM
Quote from: Tylosaurus on April 01, 2012, 06:47:40 AM

lol I still can't do full adults.. ;)

Thanks !

Well you got a PM Blade-of-the-Moon since I found you something you are definitely seeking, Whaaa Zaaaa! ;D

Lady medusa

Quote from: sfstudios on March 31, 2012, 08:57:55 PM
Im painting up a Torvosaurus for WF and wanted to get your honest opinions im not sure about the Purple hue around the shoulders , trying something different. :-\

Honestly i rEally like your color scheme on this beast! I dont think that the purplish hues add just enough color to make it vibrant but not so vibrant that its over powering or unrealistic.

sfstudios

here is shots of the 1/15th Chasmosaurus head finished now to the body.

[attachment msg=5284][/attachment]
Shane Foulkes

Jeremy K9

That Chasmosaurus is looking beautiful, Shane. I can't wait to see the rest finished.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Nice !

Maybe  I should do a Chasmosaur herd crossing a river instead of Triceratops.. ;D

0onarcissisto0

OH YES!!!!  I've been waiting to see more pics of this guy!
If the sculptor has nothing but science his hands will have no art.

- DK -

sfstudios

This sculpt represents the proposed theory that the ceratopsians had Keratin covered faces instead of being covered in traditional scales. These ideas came from the fact that skulls of all ceratopsians have deep groves ,pits and valleys channeling through out the outside surface of the skull thus allowing blood vessels to be laid into these grooves which would be nessasary to supply blood to feed the keratin growth . This makes plauseable sense to me so i thought i would incorporate that into this sculpt. IM not committed to this idea however just intrigued. Deer antlers are made of bone just like horns on ceratopsians but deer dont have facail protection so its possible these Dinosaurs did not either. ITs hard to compare addaptations of the past to todays animals as it seems that dinosaurs had more diverse features, bolder applications and from the fossil evidence these animals had features with  trail and error addaptations more so than today. THere were some strange creatures in the mesazoic era . once painted this model will have a stark contrast between the keratin covering and the fleshy scaled areas around the nassal and eye regions and the mouth. Keep in mind no land animal has a keratin covered face but other animals dont have the grooves on their skulls as deep as ceratopsians either so its possible that keratin was a type of defence feature. There are alot of attributes that dinosaurus had that animals today dont have also. Someting to consider ,fun food for thought?
Shane Foulkes

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: sfstudios on April 10, 2012, 05:50:09 PM
This sculpt represents the proposed theory that the ceratopsians had Keratin covered faces instead of being covered in traditional scales. These ideas came from the fact that skulls of all ceratopsians have deep groves ,pits and valleys channeling through out the outside surface of the skull thus allowing blood vessels to be laid into these grooves which would be nessasary to supply blood to feed the keratin growth . This makes plauseable sense to me so i thought i would incorporate that into this sculpt. IM not committed to this idea however just intrigued. Deer antlers are made of bone just like horns on ceratopsians but deer dont have facail protection so its possible these Dinosaurs did not either. ITs hard to compare addaptations of the past to todays animals as it seems that dinosaurs had more diverse features, bolder applications and from the fossil evidence these animals had features with  trail and error addaptations more so than today. THere were some strange creatures in the mesazoic era . once painted this model will have a stark contrast between the keratin covering and the fleshy scaled areas around the nassal and eye regions and the mouth. Keep in mind no land animal has a keratin covered face but other animals dont have the grooves on their skulls as deep as ceratopsians either so its possible that keratin was a type of defence feature. There are alot of attributes that dinosaurus had that animals today dont have also. Someting to consider ,fun food for thought?

Interesting. Would that be anything like a bird's beak that extended to cover the whole skull ? Just trying to wrap my head around it.

Is this one the same scale as your Trike ?

Joel

Quote from: sfstudios on April 10, 2012, 05:50:09 PM
I think that would also provide great protection for the animals when they are battling each other. If I remember correctly, isn't keratin much easier to regrow than scales, and more resistant to damage?

I can't wait to see it finished and add it to my collection! Thanks again Shane for providing us with these wonderful dinosaurs in miniature!

0onarcissisto0

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the Triceratops from Dinosaur Revolution display a similar feature? I remember the horns being of the same texture as the overall face of the animal. To be honest, I'm not crazy about the idea and when (WHEN, not IF since I already know I absolutely have to have this guy in my collection!) I get this guy, I probably won't paint it in that fashion if possible.

- DK -

Patrx

Quote from: 0onarcissisto0 on April 10, 2012, 08:45:39 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the Triceratops from Dinosaur Revolution display a similar feature? I remember the horns being of the same texture as the overall face of the animal. To be honest, I'm not crazy about the idea and when (WHEN, not IF since I already know I absolutely have to have this guy in my collection!) I get this guy, I probably won't paint it in that fashion if possible.

It did indeed - if I'm not mistaken, that's a feature David Krentz incorporates into most of his Triceratops reconstructions. I've always found it to be a really cool look, personally.

0onarcissisto0

I can trust that a fan of Billy, the Blue Ranger would know a thing or two about Triceratops' :P

- DK -

Patrx

Quote from: 0onarcissisto0 on April 10, 2012, 10:01:06 PM
I can trust that a fan of Billy, the Blue Ranger would know a thing or two about Triceratops' :P

Of course! Though I have a strange tendency to assume that they were blue in life. Hmm.

sfstudios

YEs the Triceratops was disigned just like that with keratin on the horns being the same as the frill and face, that is also how im depicting it too, based on reconmendations by Dr. Bob Bakker. like i said science and artistry are hand in hand here, but i tend to lean on science to guide my artistry more than the other way around. i like to like of my work as foresic reconstruction of dinosaur fossils. I guess some folks will like it but not all, and some may look at this sculpt and think oh wow look Shane forgot to sculpt scales on the head like he did on the rest of the body, guess he was in a hurry! I hope thats not the case however.
I think its a believeable adaptation .

[attachment msg=5461][/attachment]
Shane Foulkes

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: sfstudios on April 11, 2012, 04:03:17 AM
YEs the Triceratops was disigned just like that with keratin on the horns being the same as the frill and face, that is also how im depicting it too, based on reconmendations by Dr. Bob Bakker. like i said science and artistry are hand in hand here, but i tend to lean on science to guide my artistry more than the other way around. i like to like of my work as foresic reconstruction of dinosaur fossils. I guess some folks will like it but not all, and some may look at this sculpt and think oh wow look Shane forgot to sculpt scales on the head like he did on the rest of the body, guess he was in a hurry! I hope thats not the case however.
I think its a believeable adaptation .

Kind of looks like it's wearing a skull mask...weird, cool, and creepy even.. ;D

I think it will be different and cool..if someone does want a different version it's wouldn;t be hard to add scales with a thin layer of epoxy I bet.

Seijun

Is anyone else thinking of the pokemon "cubone"?
My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: