News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Cretaceous Creations studios updates and images

Started by sfstudios, March 25, 2012, 04:38:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blade-of-the-Moon

mmfrankford

Hmm, It's an interesting look, the whole skull look. I personally like a scaly head, but if this is proven, I could live with it. Could the grooves be for blood supply to a thicker scaly covering. Like a crocodile or the head of some land iguanas?

sfstudios

Of course it could thats what evidence is all about , i can lead in different directions depending on how one looks at it. THe armour on a Croc or Gator is keratin based and then covered in a very tough hide. Im not saying this is how they looked in my opinion ,by i have to respect top Paleontologist proposals and i thought i would represent that idea on this sculpt , it does not mean im doing this on all my ceratopsians but i may? I think its a very interesting idea and seeing that Dinosaurs like triceratops ,who's fossil skulls show sparing damage from others of the same species, its possible that they would need this protection but then again if its keratin covered then when these creatures fought would they be able to get through the keratin to make those pathologies on the skulls in the first place? :o
Shane Foulkes

0onarcissisto0

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on April 11, 2012, 08:24:08 AM
Quote from: Seijun on April 11, 2012, 07:32:16 AM
Is anyone else thinking of the pokemon "cubone"?

Well..I am now.

Thanks.

;) ;D

Hahahah, oh good lord. I remember watching that show as a kid.

I definitely think it's cool that you base your sculptures on scientific findings, Shane. And I like that you incorporate novel ideas into your kits. Even if the whole keratin covered skull idea is abandoned at some later point in time, I think most will still appreciate your work.

Personally, I hope you don't apply the keratin-covered skull to all your future ceratopsians, but as mmfrankford said, if it is proven to be true, then I can live with it and can probably grow to like it. :)

Oh and I don't think anyone would ever think your kits were rushed lol. At least not those who truly know your work and appreciate it.
If the sculptor has nothing but science his hands will have no art.

- DK -

mmfrankford

Quote from: sfstudios on April 11, 2012, 03:31:46 PM
Of course it could thats what evidence is all about , i can lead in different directions depending on how one looks at it. THe armour on a Croc or Gator is keratin based and then covered in a very tough hide. Im not saying this is how they looked in my opinion ,by i have to respect top Paleontologist proposals and i thought i would represent that idea on this sculpt , it does not mean im doing this on all my ceratopsians but i may? I think its a very interesting idea and seeing that Dinosaurs like triceratops ,who's fossil skulls show sparing damage from others of the same species, its possible that they would need this protection but then again if its keratin covered then when these creatures fought would they be able to get through the keratin to make those pathologies on the skulls in the first place? :o

Apologies if my bad writing was taken the wrong way. Let me see if I can say it better. Following the scientific method is great. In fact the sculptures I like try to be as accurate as possible. And BTW, I love your sculptures.  :) The comment about the scales and croc armor was just me rambling out loud, and holds absolutely no credibility.  :-X

0onarcissisto0

I don't think Shane took your comment badly at all. He just followed it up with an explanation (a credible one at that) of why he is sculpting the Chasmosaurus in this particular fashion. But I guess I should let Shane speak for himself lol. Oops.  :-X

- DK -

Jeremy K9

Quote from: sfstudios on April 11, 2012, 04:03:17 AM
YEs the Triceratops was disigned just like that with keratin on the horns being the same as the frill and face, that is also how im depicting it too, based on reconmendations by Dr. Bob Bakker. like i said science and artistry are hand in hand here, but i tend to lean on science to guide my artistry more than the other way around. i like to like of my work as foresic reconstruction of dinosaur fossils. I guess some folks will like it but not all, and some may look at this sculpt and think oh wow look Shane forgot to sculpt scales on the head like he did on the rest of the body, guess he was in a hurry! I hope thats not the case however.
I think its a believeable adaptation .

I for one, happen to like the idea of keratin being on the frill and face. I believe not everything can be written in stone. That's especially true when it comes to Dinosaurs.

You can count me in for an order of this Ceratopsian. I'd love to have you do the buildup too. :)

dinohunter000

Direct evidence of SKIN on the frill of a chasmosaurine, from the Montana Dueling Dinosaurs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Tuod6ty-q8&context=C4142739ADvjVQa1PpcFMdBgQTRZxbgSGYGOM74B64CnR99aj4txA=
It's at 8:10 of the video.

For me, right now, case closed on most ceratopsians.  I won't entirely rule out Triceratops altogether for having a keratinous shield, but this is pretty good proof of skin on the frills of close cousins right now.
"It seems to me that the natural world is the greatest source of excitement; the greatest source of visual beauty; the greatest source of intellectual interest. It is the greatest source of so much in life that makes life worth living."

Seijun

Shane, how soon can we expect to see a fluffy tyrannosaur?
My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

Arioch

The whole head being covered by keratin is certainly possible (and btw, wonderful model), but such an animal would require an insane amount of calcium on its diet...which led us, maybe, to an omnivore lifestyle..?   ;D

On the other hand, thereĀ“s that skin impresssion mentioned on the video, which I guess I reliable enough. But this kind of variation could occur between especies of the same family.

sfstudios

Well strange as it would seem i have had it brought to my attention by a freind of mine who reviewed some research papers that show a study on Chasmosaurae and they reflect that when this species heads interlock with each other that the Brow horns do not touch the face during sparring or pushing matches , only area touchig would be the eye orbit and the rogosities around the eye orbits would deflect and soft tissue damage to the animal .so that combined with the Chasmo like new skull in the Video having skin impressions on the frill for at least that peticular species...i digress and will scale my head on the Chasmosaur. Maybe only Torosaur and Triceratops (not the same animal) had Keratin coverings? got to love those fossils, always changing the way we see Dinosaurs! i will post pics of the revised head on this dude soon. enjoyed the possibility.
Shane Foulkes

0onarcissisto0

Yay! Scaly-faced Chasmo for the win! I think both would have been awesome, but like I said earlier, I like scaly more than keratinous.

But wow, that fossil really is amazing. It's just beautiful, man. The link between now and 65 million years ago. Thinking about it just...blows my mind.

- DK -

Blade-of-the-Moon

I can live with either myself..though maybe it's an age thing ? 

sfstudios

More in progress pics of the Chasmosaur in case your not tired of seeing it yet. Now with the head scaled not keratin covered, better now? happy now? :))ok and this is the currant progress of the body, should be done by Sunday and shipping to the mold makers on Monday if all goes well.

[attachment msg=5637][/attachment]
Shane Foulkes

Joel

Quote from: sfstudios on April 12, 2012, 05:14:03 AM
More in progress pics of the Chasmosaur in case your not tired of seeing it yet. Now with the head scaled not keratin covered, better now? happy now? :))ok and this is the currant progress of the body, should be done by Sunday and shipping to the mold makers on Monday if all goes well.
:o :o :o ;D ;D ;D Wow, You work fast! I can't wait to order it!

Jeremy K9

That's looking great. Like Joel said, I can't wait to order this.  ;D

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: sfstudios on April 12, 2012, 05:14:03 AM

lol it looks GREAT ! ;D

Any idea what the price on this one will be ?

0onarcissisto0

OH YEEEESSS!!! I didn't realize this was gonna be out so soon. I can't wait!!!!

- DK -

Tylosaurus

Look'n great Shane Great details you gave him too mate 8)

caspakian

With the smoother skull, I had to read the follow up post to realize what you were doing, but after reading the explanation and thinking about it for just a little while, I got used to the idea and kinda started liking it. I was suprised to see you change it so quickly. Don't get me wrong, because I like both versions. I know it is a lot of extra work and more cost in producing, but one suggestion I have is to consider producing two heads on something like this. One smooth and keratin covered, and one scaley. I gaurantee that I would buy both. Collectors who only liked one version though could pick the one they liked.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: