You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Dinotasia aka Dinosaur Revolution ?

Started by Blade-of-the-Moon, March 25, 2012, 06:33:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

postsaurischian

Quote from: scallenger on March 28, 2012, 09:35:24 AM
......... talking heads or recaps of previously shown or yet-to-be-shown footage and opening/end credits .......

To me that was really a turn off watching the DVD. Not much care was taken of the film cutting :(.
Unfortunately I already bought the DVD. I'd like to have a version with all the useless stuff being left out.

Tylosaurus

@ dinotoyforum
No worries. I was too stunned of this news once I saw it on Face Book and made a topic about it, it's what my adrenaline does after finding something uber stunning, you forget about everything else, rofl ;D
But what evs, I'll try to evade this next time, even how hard that may be *orthocone*

Quote from: postsaurischian on March 28, 2012, 09:59:16 AM
Quote from: scallenger on March 28, 2012, 09:35:24 AM
......... talking heads or recaps of previously shown or yet-to-be-shown footage and opening/end credits .......

To me that was really a turn off watching the DVD. Not much care was taken of the film cutting :(.
Unfortunately I already bought the DVD. I'd like to have a version with all the useless stuff being left out.

In my humble opinion they should redo the entire thing with the latest techiques and with David Attenborough, someone everyone understands!
The narrator in this film is terrible. *yuck*

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Tylosaurus on March 28, 2012, 09:59:45 AM
@ dinotoyforum
No worries. I was too stunned of this news once I saw it on Face Book and made a topic about it, it's what my adrenaline does after finding something uber stunning, you forget about everything else, rofl ;D
But what evs, I'll try to evade this next time, even how hard that may be *orthocone*

I'm surprised you didn't hear the news here first!  :o
By the way, I see you deleted the trailer from your post, thanks. No need to have the same trailer twice in the same thread.  :)

Tylosaurus

Quote from: dinotoyforum on March 28, 2012, 10:09:20 AM
Quote from: Tylosaurus on March 28, 2012, 09:59:45 AM
@ dinotoyforum

I'm surprised you didn't hear the news here first!  :o
By the way, I see you deleted the trailer from your post, thanks. No need to have the same trailer twice in the same thread.  :)
Heh I have tons of contacts on Face Book and many of the Dino-Riders people are there as well. :)
They plan to make Dino-Riders in CGI format, it's something big and I help them surf up idea's and might also up my Dual Six-Core OpteronDP 2435 D- Istanbul setup with it's two upcoming EVGA GTX 580 3GB Fermi boards in action to render some scenes, well its the plan anyways, I would need the proper software that supports CUDA, SMP and the Opteron x64 instruction set to forward this idea.

And the maker of our CGI film has made contact with the maker of this CGI film, asking advice and such, so yeah this is how I found it.

Takama

I hope its in all Theatres.  and not just in I-Max or selected ones.  (i live to far away)

mmfrankford

Quote from: DeadToothCrackKnuckle on March 25, 2012, 09:24:26 PM
Though I can't wait ot see this in theatres, I wish it was still the classic DR. Does anyone know if the Syracosaurus storyboard is going to make its way into thw movie?

Styracosaurus storyboard?!? How did I miss this one, more info please!  ^-^

scallenger

I'm just wondering what they are going to cut from the original show to make it into this 94 minute version? I am theorizing that it will be stuff from both episode 1 and 3, since those had a bunch of smaller stories. There are definitely a few I wouldn't mind seeing getting the axe (the mosasaur one was not very well done, especially). As for added scenes, it WOULD be good for them to at least include one new story for this new version to give others a reason to fork over the money to see it. The one I would love, love, LOVE to see of course was the dropped Therizinosaur (sp?) segment in the fire! The storyboards and drawings I saw from Pete of that looked amazing and would be perfect for a theatrical setting! I'm sure they got an extra budget boost for this version and maybe it would help create that part.

Now I know there is a Region B Blu Ray of the Dinosaur Revolution (grr...), but is there a Region Free DVD of it? Even so, I wouldn't doubt the chance of Discovery releasing both versions stateside after Dinotasia has had it's run. Who knows?
Jurassic Time is back... and this time, it will stay with you forever.

Jurassic Time... it can now belong in your own museum.

Tylosaurus

So actually this new movie is Dinosaur Revolution in a very short version no new added parts? wouldn't that be a it dull?
I am really hooping that anew storyline and new tech CGI has been put to use to make it look better heh, what Jurassic Park III used, that type of CGI would be perfect.

krentz

Guys and Girls

There are no talking heads, the narration is used as connective tissue between stories and we've cut it into a nice tight 82 minutes ( I could be off on that by a few minutes). It will be in limited release, stay tuned for theaters.  I am really proud of this feature, it's a much better representation of our storytelling.

I'll be sending out more official information as it comes.

DK

Tylosaurus

At first welcome to the forums krentz :)

But uhm, why has there been so much cut out? Sorry, but I don't see it as a new product that way :)  *orthocone*
Unless the CGI & sounds were modified or say updated, so it looks and sounds more realistic :P

It's still interesting though :)

krentz

Here is the poster!

DK

[attachment msg=3324][/attachment]

Tylosaurus

Nice work David hehe I'm Gold Leader from Facebook a friend of Maik Donath, which is also the owner of the Dinossphere - 3D Series and group ;)

scallenger

Hey Krentz! Nice to see you on here! Love your work on Dinosaur Revolution/Dinotasia, but I also must give you a shout out for your work on John Carter, which was a severely underrated film. I somehow hope that film gets a sequel, if not from Disney, from another studio with you working on it again. :)

I am relieved to read that the narration is used to "introduce" rather than "talk over". Even MORE relieved to hear that there are NO talking heads! Yes! That's the biggest relief of all.

I have a couple of questions though, still.

1) While from the running time you gave and from the site I posted it is clear some scenes we saw on the Discovery Channel version will be cut out to make this suitable for it's film version. While this may be the case, can we expect to see anything NEW that wasn't on that version that people here may be eager to see? Or will there perhaps be more to the existing stories that will be used that got cut from the original broadcast?

2) From the trailer we saw, this version uses the same music from the Discovery Channel version by Mark Leggett (as evidenced in the background of the trailer and at the very end of the credits for it), that many of us loved. Does the film version retain most of this music as it was heard in the series version, or did they have to edit a lot of it? Or was Mark re-hired to adapt his music for this new version? Can we expect a CD release of the score, or at the very least, an isolated score track on the eventual BluRay when it gets released?

There! My two last important questions. Hope you can answer them. Oh, and lovely poster art! Instant desktop wallpaper! I'm spreading the word about this version of the film!
Jurassic Time is back... and this time, it will stay with you forever.

Jurassic Time... it can now belong in your own museum.

Tylosaurus

After watching Dinosaur Revolution last night, just learning that Parenting seemed to have been something all dino's had in common, they really cared for one and another, even if an Allosaurus would save a sauropod's young from a larger predator such as Torvosaurus, which was at first a bit hard to believe, but if animals of today have similar behaviors why wouldn't dino's have this alike?
That is when it all made sense to me.

Yeah yesterday was a very interesting ride for sure and thanks for your work on such projects David Krenz, keep it up mate!

SBell

Quote from: Tylosaurus on March 29, 2012, 04:57:55 PM
After watching Dinosaur Revolution last night, just learning that Parenting seemed to have been something all dino's had in common, they really cared for one and another, even if an Allosaurus would save a sauropod's young from a larger predator such as Torvosaurus, which was at first a bit hard to believe, but if animals of today have similar behaviors why wouldn't dino's have this alike?

Yeah yesterday was a very interesting ride for sure and thanks for your work on such projects David Krenz, keep it up mate!

"Learning that parenting was something they all had in common"? There is no evidence for this, it is speculative, at best.  It makes for good stories.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: SBell on March 29, 2012, 05:05:57 PM

"Learning that parenting was something they all had in common"? There is no evidence for this, it is speculative, at best.  It makes for good stories.

Not sure about all of them..but we do have some evidence that suggests parenting took place..at least to a degree with a few species.

SBell

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on March 29, 2012, 06:21:36 PM
Quote from: SBell on March 29, 2012, 05:05:57 PM

Not sure about all of them..but we do have some evidence that suggests parenting took place..at least to a degree with a few species.

But there is no evidence for the scenario described (I wouldn't even know how that could exist), and it would be, at best, unusual in any species (not unheard of, but definitely uncommon).

And the evidence is pretty poor for large theropods when it comes to care (there is more for the smaller species; in a quick search of published articles I couldn't find any that directly reference large species).  Maybe a few nests, but those do not indicate care of any major kind.

This is where these kinds of movies, as cool as they are, can become problematic--they are so realistic, and are not quiet about their associations with proper researchers, and so everything they depict is taken as well-supported facts. As I re-read the original post, I see what really stuck out for me, the claim that they 'cared for one and another' which is pretty much maladaptive for any species (humans notwithstanding). And very anthropocentric.

Tylosaurus

Well they did compare on how modern day animals live and do parenting it's probably makes some logical sense, but again it's just a guess to somewhat logical result, I don't think it's that bad nor uncommon.

Dan

I would be curious to see just how well it can be scaled up, since the original footage was intended for an HDTV. The IMAX idea is particularly surprising, because it stretches the images and reveals the flaws to an even greater extent. Even Attack of the Clones had digital artifacts visible in the IMAX version.

Tylosaurus

Same goes for StarWars Episode IV: A New Hope heh, that was very bad even incorrect coloring was used for Luke's Lightsaber during his training in the Modified YT-1300 Corellian Transport aka the Millennium Falcon ;)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: