News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

New on Ebay (UK specific)

Started by DinoToyForum, March 25, 2012, 08:48:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duna

I contacted you about the WWD mini figures.  ;)

Crackington

Spotted a very good deal on some Pyros and Airfix kits, including the Pteranodon.Looks like the coelacanth is with it too.  Would bid myself but no room!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Tamiya-dinosaur-models-/275162216254?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l6249&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

BlueKrono

Ah, I've been looking for that coelacanth! I can't justify spending $63 to ship it though (along with all the rest).  :'(
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

TooOldForDinosaurs

Crackington

Looks like a couple of Pyros going very cheap. There's the Corythosaurus and the Ankylosaurus with a prehistoric man figure that I think Lindberg never included. Worth a bid if anyone like vintage kits:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Plastic-Dinosaur-Toy-1970s-cave-man-tyrannosaurus-rex-ankylosaurus-/185338132619?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

ceratopsian

Well it does say make an offer!!!

indohyus

Flaffy

SidB

Then there was the crazy, reputed 12,000 USD given for the original 2012 Papo running T-rex, which serves as a reminder of just how absurd people can get. Though who knows what someone may offer for this one?

Duna

Quote from: SidB on April 15, 2022, 04:19:39 PM
Then there was the crazy, reputed 12,000 USD given for the original 2012 Papo running T-rex, which serves as a reminder of just how absurd people can get. Though who knows what someone may offer for this one?
For a wealthy collector 600€ is nothing...  It's like paying for dinosaur fossils or art.

Ikessauro

Does anyone know why eBay sellers in the UK only ship overseas via Global Shipping Program? Does not make any sense to me. Other UK businesses that sell overseas ship via Royal Mail  no problem, but when it comes to eBay, I can't find a single seller right now willing to ship to Brazil with other shipping companies. Only through eBay GSP. The problem is, this eBay is almost a scam to rip us off. You see, I already have to pay an absurd 60% impost taxes on most of my packages when I buy overseas (60% of the total price of package, that is product + shipping cost). Few ware the packages that pass through custom without being taxed.
Then when trying to buy from eBay Uk sellers they will only ship via GSP and that charges me more than 100% in import taxes in advance! I tried reasoning with several sellers during the last year or so, ask if they would please make an exception and ship to me via Royal Mail and only once I managed to get a positive response.

Sorry for posting this here, but didn't find another related thread and didn't think this deserved a new thread, but feel free to move it if necessary.

UK

avatar_Ikessauro @Ikessauro, When I sell I always make a decision on whether the item will stand the test of international shipping. I try to accommodate overseas purchasers but I have had numerous issues with unscrupulous buyers. So I have either excluded regions or decided not to sell overseas. However, eBay on occasion takes it on themselves to allow overseas purchases through their GSP which means I then have to ship to a warehouse somewhere in the UK.

This has lead to issues for the buyer and also me. Suddenly I'm hit with a VAT charge I didn't wish to have and also I am then liable for any disputes / breakages for item  didn't want to ship. I have also found that when you open for overseas, it automatically defaults to GSP and you physically have to add international shipping. If you are using a template for multiple listings, it can be a bind to change.

So I think eBay might be your route cause here. Try contacting the seller to ask for them to open international shipping outside of eBay and fix a Royal Mail price to postage cost. Remember too eBay charges take account of postage so the seller might inflate postage to cover this. I can give many examples of where overseas is both a risk and a hassle which is why sellers use GSP. I sold a Safari Mamenchisaurus, the individual wanted a full refund and to keep the item otherwise they would give negative feedback. There reason, apparently the shade of the figures pupil was not quite the same as the photo. I bent over backwards to get this to them and then they attempted to scam me.

There are several countries I avoid selling, may be the same is for the sellers you have contacted?

As always, things are black and white

Ikessauro

Quote from: UK on May 12, 2022, 03:46:18 PM

avatar_Ikessauro @Ikessauro, When I sell I always make a decision on whether the item will stand the test of international shipping. I try to accommodate overseas purchasers but I have had numerous issues with unscrupulous buyers. So I have either excluded regions or decided not to sell overseas. However, eBay on occasion takes it on themselves to allow overseas purchases through their GSP which means I then have to ship to a warehouse somewhere in the UK.

This has lead to issues for the buyer and also me. Suddenly I'm hit with a VAT charge I didn't wish to have and also I am then liable for any disputes / breakages for item  didn't want to ship. I have also found that when you open for overseas, it automatically defaults to GSP and you physically have to add international shipping. If you are using a template for multiple listings, it can be a bind to change.

So I think eBay might be your route cause here. Try contacting the seller to ask for them to open international shipping outside of eBay and fix a Royal Mail price to postage cost. Remember too eBay charges take account of postage so the seller might inflate postage to cover this. I can give many examples of where overseas is both a risk and a hassle which is why sellers use GSP. I sold a Safari Mamenchisaurus, the individual wanted a full refund and to keep the item otherwise they would give negative feedback. There reason, apparently the shade of the figures pupil was not quite the same as the photo. I bent over backwards to get this to them and then they attempted to scam me.

There are several countries I avoid selling, may be the same is for the sellers you have contacted?

As always, things are black and white

This clarifies a lot of things! Thank you avatar_UK @UK It is too bad that thare are people out there scamming sellers. I have had so many issues not being able to buy stuff simply because the seller is afraid to ship to my country. But knowing eBay automatically offers GSP makes me understand why some sellers don't wanna ship here. They didn't to being with. The weird thing is that eBay US does not have the same problem, at least not to the same extent as eBay UK I find. I hope they change their policies someday.

Halichoeres

I used to resist using the GSP because it seemed so expensive, but it has a huge advantage for sellers: once the parcel reaches eBay's transshipment facility the seller has no more liability. I've had parcels to Argentina completely disappear, and then I'm on the hook for the value of the missing parcel because I didn't use GSP. I've stopped selling on eBay altogether because it's such an unpleasant experience all around, but most sellers using the program are just trying to protect themselves.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: