You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Paleoferroequine's slice 'n dice-Barylambda 18 May '12

Started by paleoferroequine, March 26, 2012, 10:23:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paleoferroequine

Been awhile, not much time. Well, with the news of what color Microraptor was, I figured I'd take a crack at it. Black is kinda boring though. At any rate I reworked the tail and head, I felt the head on the Carnegie was too small. I included a pic of the fossil so you can see what I'm talking about.  The head is about half the length of the body. So if anybody wants to critique, I will change things around. It's base color is black but I used an iridescent paint by Tamiya  to replicate the color of birds like grackles. The photos just don't pick up the changing colors though. When you look at it there are blues greens and purples and some gold that show up. As usual, I'm not completely satisfied with it. :o

OK, the ones below are the bulked up figure as per request. ;D It does look better.

Weaver

Haha! I'm considering doctoring my little Microraptor in new colors too but with magpie-like markings for myself. XD Woohoo! Looks great Paleoferroequine. ;)

Himmapaan

Hooray! I had so hoped that you would start your thread again here. And this Microraptor is absolutely beautiful.

Gryphoceratops

Good to see some new stuff from you!  Awesome as usual. 

Gwangi

Great work and much better than the original in my opinion, I don't care much for the original at all actually. My one criticism would be that the head actually looks a little too big compared with the torso, is there any way you can bulk that up? Perhaps a denser feather covering? It could just be the angle of the pictures so I may be completely off base.

radman

Very cool and totally believable.  Nice work and photography, as always.
:)
There are lots of  boat-tailed grackles in my area, and yes, they are quite impressive in the flesh but  it is hard to capture their iridescence on film.

brontodocus

Wonderful customization as always, paleoferroequine! :) Oh, you've also changed the fingers to three.

Oh Lord, won't you buy me a T-rex by Krentz? My friends all have Sideshow, I must make amends.

postsaurischian

:D Hurra! The master of Dino figure surgery is back.
That Microraptor has been operated successfully and looks brilliant now.

Will anyone ever be able to beat you in the Diorama contest?

stoneage

Quote from: postsaurischian on March 27, 2012, 12:01:55 AM
:D Hurra! The master of Dino figure surgery is back.
That Microraptor has been operated successfully and looks brilliant now.

Will anyone ever be able to beat you in the Diorama contest?

;D  I think Radman might have a chance at it!

paleoferroequine

Quote from: Gwangi on March 26, 2012, 10:59:52 PM
Great work and much better than the original in my opinion, I don't care much for the original at all actually. My one criticism would be that the head actually looks a little too big compared with the torso, is there any way you can bulk that up? Perhaps a denser feather covering? It could just be the angle of the pictures so I may be completely off base.
As usual everybody I appreciate the compliments and comments.  Gwangi, I agree on the bulking up, part of it is the angle but I did add to the back already, now I need to work on the ventral area, I'll do it tomorrow. ;D  Here's something else some of you might be interested in: Pearl Ex Pigments. These are superfine powdered mica pigments from metallic sheens to pearlescent shimmers.  Also there are interference colors which can be used in many different ways and the the duo colors which when applied over black  give an iridescent look blue -red, blue-green, and green-yellow. They can be mixed with a binder and brushed on or thinned and sprayed.  Also you can apply with a brush like with pastel powders. Here's the link: http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/eng/1933-AA.shtml#1932-AA

ZoPteryx

Great work!   It looks far better than the original! :D
I really like the second photo, it looks like he's just zeroed in on some unsuspecting lizard! ;)

paleoferroequine

Gwangi, I changed it and bulked it up. Better now? Anything else? Color? I used Arioch's pic to help me. I only wish there was a way to really show the iridescence sheen to it

Bokisaurus

Wonderful and impressive work as usual! So great to see new customized figures, I'm always looking forward to your next  project ^-^

Tylosaurus

yeah nice Microraptor there, looks real :P It kinda resembles them flying dragons you see in movies and which you read about in books :)

Patrx

Excellent redesign! Here's hoping Safari issues one like it someday. Also, these photos are impressive.

paleoferroequine

Many thanks. ;D Here's one I did a bit back and is in my sig, it's the CollectA Paraceratherium. Changes were to get rid of the Joe Camel look by repositioning the eyes to the side of the head so it wasn't looking forward, also added some to the lower jaw to change the droopy face look. Then the neck was shortened a bit and finally my pet peave: the feet! >:( It's a rhino, fer Pete's sake, it needs 3 hooves on the feet!! Not 4 toes!! :o :o. So more surgery. Then repainted. Yay! Done. ;D

paleoferroequine

Moved from;Need sculpting help ASAP!!!!!

I have a new project and I took pictures this time.
Here is a Safari Vagaceratops being converted to a Diabloceratops . The first thing of course is to cut apart the victim with a Dremel tool with cut off disk and sharp knife and glue back to the new pose. Then epoxy putty is used to fill the cuts and the new head details. And finally a base coat of paint to see if there are flaws.(There are. :-[) There are some more things to do like corrections and some more detail. The frill is now more sharply angled, last pic

Himmapaan

It's looking amazing, as expected, of course.  ^-^

I love these progress pictures. Please continue to do this.  :D

paleoferroequine

Quote from: Himmapaan on April 13, 2012, 11:28:55 PM
It's looking amazing, as expected, of course.  ^-^

I love these progress pictures. Please continue to do this.  :D
Thank you Niroot. I have been in somewhat of a slump lately. Not much time to do anything, and I haven't  been inspired much. Now I have to work up how to color this and I am having trouble coming up with something different. :o  Let's see this is number 7 of ceratopsian conversions and so far none of them have been made as toys. :P  I will document these better from now on. ^-^

Gwangi

Wow, I would much rather have the Diabloceratops over the model it's built from.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: