News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

What 2014 models will you get?

Started by Spinosaurus Aegyptiacus, December 20, 2013, 07:15:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amargasaurus cazaui

It might just be me, but even if you repainted the animal, isn't the head almost enormous compared to the rest of the figure? I am not so sure the issue is the scales as the massive size they used for the head, because it makes your eyes go straight to the head area rather than the entire figure. Not sure that is as easily fixed.....
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Blade-of-the-Moon

I really don't think the head is too large..but I need to see a side shot of it. I think the colors of the head/neck make the head look larger..and it does look to have some feathers on it's neck/back of head...just not on the face itself.

Patrx

To me, the Papo Archaeopteryx is just frustrating. If any facet of modern paleontological knowledge is important to sell to people, it's the relationship between Mesozoic dinosaurs and modern birds. Even though most people seem to know there's a link, the significance and depth of that link is underestimated. A totally fictionalized model, like Papo's Tylosaurus, is pretty harmless. However something like the new Archaeopteryx that's almost up to date, but misses the mark on important details; that can be misleading. People could think that because it has feathers, it's a proper, modern reconstruction.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Patrx on December 23, 2013, 07:51:29 PM
To me, the Papo Archaeopteryx is just frustrating. If any facet of modern paleontological knowledge is important to sell to people, it's the relationship between Mesozoic dinosaurs and modern birds. Even though most people seem to know there's a link, the significance and depth of that link is underestimated. A totally fictionalized model, like Papo's Tylosaurus, is pretty harmless. However something like the new Archaeopteryx that's almost up to date, but misses the mark on important details; that can be misleading. People could think that because it has feathers, it's a proper, modern reconstruction.

Well it is more in line with current thinking than not as is still. If anything I would think it is clearly saying clearly there is a connection to birds here.   I think only collectors , who know how accurate they are,  would really the difference and would be so concerned with it .  This actually a risky move on their part as feathered dinos tend to not sell as well with kids I think.  Most would prefer a T-Rex or a Raptor..or some other more known species.  It may be inaccurate ( I still want better pics ) but it's step in the right direction for the company.

amanda

What we need is to see at least a 3/4 view of Archy. You cannot critique head size from the current picture due to the forced perspective illusion given by the straight on look. We have no idea of the size or shape of the body/tail. The head surely seems to have scruff on the back of the head and possibly the neck as well. Without a larger shot from a different angle we cannot say whether the neck is scales or feathered or a mix. I think that the join of neck/body looks awkward as far as style is concerned. But you just can't tell at all yet. I'd kind of like to see it from the top too.

I'll bet a shiny penny most of the "public" shopping in actual stores have no idea at all what Archy is. If it were made to look totally like a bird, they would see it as such and pass if they were dino hunting for the kids. (honey, look at the TEETH they gave the bald eagle....) And we are not impressed by Papo for their relentless fanatacism for accuracy. :) I would like to see that combined with their detail obsession, certainly, but I do not see that happening. I know nothing about the new JP movie. Is there a link to point me at that is accurate and sums it up?

tyrantqueen

QuoteI know nothing about the new JP movie. Is there a link to point me at that is accurate and sums it up?
No-one was saying Archaeopteryx is appearing in the new movie. We were hypothesising that if it did appear, it would most likely have to be feathered since an unfeathered one would be ridiculous, even by JP standards.

I did a google image search, and apparently archaeopteryx has appeared in JP, but only in comics format:

And from Jurassic Park III Park Builder

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: tyrantqueen on December 24, 2013, 02:16:23 PM
QuoteI know nothing about the new JP movie. Is there a link to point me at that is accurate and sums it up?
No-one was saying Archaeopteryx is appearing in the new movie. We were hypothesising that if it did appear, it would most likely have to be feathered since an unfeathered one would be ridiculous, even by JP standards.

I did a google image search, and apparently archaeopteryx has appeared in JP, but only in comics format:

And from Jurassic Park III Park Builder

I had totally forgot it had appeared in the comics at all.

amanda

I was simply asking for a good summary of progress on the project in general. I have not kept up with it and was wondering what real info there was about it. :)

tyrantqueen

Quote from: amanda on December 24, 2013, 06:51:22 PM
I was simply asking for a good summary of progress on the project in general. I have not kept up with it and was wondering what real info there was about it. :)
There's been lots of false information and hoaxed videos floating around..but Trevorrow has confirmed that it's going to take place on Isla Nublar. Supposedly marine reptiles are going to be a major attraction in the Nublar lagoon. It's been delayed until 2015. If you want a quick summary, here's a good place to look: http://jurassicpark.wikia.com/wiki/Development_of_Jurassic_World

Blade-of-the-Moon

LaFanda

Does anyone know the release date for the Papo Dilophosaurus? I have been waiting so impatiently ever since I saw it!
If history repeats itself, I'm getting a dinosaur.

Daspletodave

I got the Bullyland Lambeosaurus and Europasaurus. They look better in person than the catalog pics. I'll try to post some pics later.

SpittersForEver

Lol pocket money and lots of saving up should get a couple  ^-^

Libraraptor

I only got myself Bullyland Europasaurus and Protochirotherium and the Tamba sauropod. At the moment I am not planning to buy any new 2014 figures due to lack of money. I have to make well choices for my budget.

EDIT: Papo Archaeopteryx is probably my next acquisition of a NEW figure.

SpittersForEver

I might get the papo dilophosaurus!

Hynerpeton

Walking With Monsers:
[about Lystrosaurus] Astonishingly, their vast herds make up more than half of all life on Earth. Never again will a single species do so well.

Walking With Monsters: (Hynerpeton) To avoid injury the males demonstrate their strength  in a strange  push up contest.

amargasaurus cazaui

A few of my choices this year were the new Carnegie rex, which I got two of and had one redone by Martin. I also got a pair of the Xenoceratops (I hope thats right) and had one done by Martin as well. I acquired the safari ammonite, and the quetz as well. Other than that I have mostly been chasing older figures and filling in gaps.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

alexeratops

CollectA Charcharodontosaurus is coming in the mail, I'll probably also get their Baby Rex and new Theri.
like a bantha!

Concavenator

Having thought I'm getting the following ones,if everything goes as planned:

Papo Dilophosaurus
CollectA Deluxe Carcharodontosaurus
CollectA Deluxe. Therizinosaurus
CollectA Xenoceratops
CollectA Saurophaganax
Carnegie Tyrannosaurus rex
Wild Safari Suchomimus
Papo Archaeopteryx

Manatee

This contains a lot of models, and I'm a slow collector, so we'll probably be halfway into 2016 before I collect most of these.

Carnegie: Tyrannosaurus
Papo: Archaeopteryx and Dilophosaurus
CollectA: Carcharodontosaurus, Therizinosaurus, Ichthyovenator, Saurophaganax, Bistahieversor, Xenoceratops, and Quetzal with prey.
Safari: Monolophosaurus, Pachyrhinosaurus, and Suchomimus
Schleich: Pentaceratops maybe?
Bullyland: Europasaurus.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: