News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Best Triceratops Figure?

Started by Hermes888, December 26, 2013, 05:11:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hermes888

I have a few ceratopsians, but absolutely no Triceratops figures (surprisingly). I kind of need one, but I'm having trouble deciding.
I tend to stick to Safari LTD and Papo, but I know the Papo figure isn't particularly accurate. Should I get the Wild Safari Triceratops or the Carnegie Collection Triceratops, or should I get another figure (please specify)?

Which one is better in terms of detail and/or accuracy?

sauroid

the Favorite Triceratops figure is one of the best in the market
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

joossa

The Wild Safari Triceratops is my favorite.
-Joel
Southern CA, USA

My Collection Topic

Spinosaurus Aegyptiacus

"I believe implicitly that every young man in the world is fascinated with either sharks or dinosaurs."
-Peter Benchley

Blade-of-the-Moon

It's odd..Triceratops is one of those figures you think there has to be  alot of good ones out due to the popularity..but the truth is far from that I think.

The WS Triceratops has a lot of Jurassic Park influence in it.  The Carnegie has the basic shape down but it needs more detail.   The Favorite figure is a bit too thin.  I personally like the Battat the best..but it's hard to get ahold of. 

If your looking for in depth reviews check out the blog here : http://www.dinotoyblog.com/?s=triceratops

tyrantqueen

I don't like the Favorite Ltd. all that much, it's way too skinny for my tastes. I like the Wild Safari, although I find the tail too long. The Carnegie is good, although it's a bit on the small side, and I am not too keen on the paintjob. I also own the Battat Trike, and I like it, but that might not be an option for you, due to its rarity and price.

It's not really a toy, but here's my favourite Triceratops replica

Lots of detail, and powerfully built, as you would expect a Trike to be.

Roselaar

My preferred Triceratops is Collecta's deceased Trike, but I guess that's not the type of pose you're looking for here. I'd go with the WS Trike, as it's easy to find while still adequately correct and overlla fairly good looking. I'm not overly fond of the new Favorite Trike either, nor of Papo's.

Or how about Safari's Great Dinosaurs Triceratops?:

tyrantqueen

QuoteOr how about Safari's Great Dinosaurs Triceratops?:
I liked that one, although it's bigger than most other models (1/30)

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: tyrantqueen on December 26, 2013, 02:57:40 PM
QuoteOr how about Safari's Great Dinosaurs Triceratops?:
I liked that one, although it's bigger than most other models (1/30)

It's not a bad figure though really. I believe it's fairly accurate.

Takama

I honestly like the Wild Safari model, I think its great.

Also, the Great Dinos one is fairly decent too.

Gwangi

I really like the WS model too with the exception of the elephant-feet. I agree with those who said the Battat model is the best Triceratops toy. That said, I have yet to acquire one myself. I don't like the Carnegie model, not sure why. The Favorite model is too skinny but otherwise decent.

Honestly, my favorite "Triceratops" is the one produced by Safari for the Field Museum. Technically it is a Torosaurus but it looks more like Triceratops to me. Only problem with it is the small size which is not really a problem unless you're set on a certain scale.

Hermes888

I went with the Wild Safari figure, mostly because it was at a local store. Thanks for the input guys!

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Gwangi on December 26, 2013, 10:45:45 PM
I really like the WS model too with the exception of the elephant-feet. I agree with those who said the Battat model is the best Triceratops toy. That said, I have yet to acquire one myself. I don't like the Carnegie model, not sure why. The Favorite model is too skinny but otherwise decent.

Honestly, my favorite "Triceratops" is the one produced by Safari for the Field Museum. Technically it is a Torosaurus but it looks more like Triceratops to me. Only problem with it is the small size which is not really a problem unless you're set on a certain scale.

I'm looking at the WS model..I can't see the elephant feet on it ?  This thread is a pretty good chance for me to see which Trike model would be good t base our 1:1 version on.

tyrantqueen

QuoteI'm looking at the WS model..I can't see the elephant feet on it ?  This thread is a pretty good chance for me to see which Trike model would be good t base our 1:1 version on.
You might find this useful:

Gwangi

Perhaps elephantine is the wrong term but they certainly aren't accurate.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: tyrantqueen on December 27, 2013, 12:45:17 AM
QuoteI'm looking at the WS model..I can't see the elephant feet on it ?  This thread is a pretty good chance for me to see which Trike model would be good t base our 1:1 version on.
You might find this useful:

Cool, thanks.

That's the back foot right ?  Looks really similar to the Battat's feet.

tyrantqueen

QuoteThat's the back foot right ?  Looks really similar to the Battat's feet.

No, the manus is the hand. The pes is the foot :)

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Gwangi on December 27, 2013, 12:56:16 AM
Perhaps elephantine is the wrong term but they certainly aren't accurate.

Yeah, I have the model in front of me here.  It does actually have toes so I wouldn't say it's elephant-like really.   The number of toes seems correct but the shape of the feet seem wrong.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: tyrantqueen on December 27, 2013, 12:57:26 AM
QuoteThat's the back foot right ?  Looks really similar to the Battat's feet.

No, the manus is the hand. The pes is the foot :)

Sorry too many technical terms to keep up with.. lol

This image matches the Battat's back feet but not the front.

Gwangi

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 27, 2013, 01:00:19 AM

Yeah, I have the model in front of me here.  It does actually have toes so I wouldn't say it's elephant-like really.   The number of toes seems correct but the shape of the feet seem wrong.

Perhaps I should have put more emphasis on elephant-LIKE. Basically what I meant was all digits were sculpted to look the same and squarely planted on the ground, much like an elephant foot but not like a real Triceratops.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: