News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Mighty mighty mosasaurs

Started by DinoToyForum, April 03, 2012, 01:22:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DinoToyForum

The last few years have seen a proliferation of mosasaur toys - from Mojo, CollectA, Carnegie, and Wild Safari. And, or course, I've been waiting for our good friend the Papo Tylo to arrive before taking a group mosasaur shot. I didn't realise how many mosasaurs I had until I lined them all up. I'm still missing some though, no?

stemturtle

Dinotoyforum, your photo is a great reference.  Who makes the olive guy facing right, south of the Kaiyodo figure, closest to the bottom?  Thanks.

Mural at New Mexico Museum of Natural History and Science (Click image)

DinoToyForum

Quote from: stemturtle on April 03, 2012, 02:27:24 PM
Dinotoyforum, your photo is a great reference.  Who makes the olive guy facing right, south of the Kaiyodo figure, closest to the bottom?  Thanks.

Disney :) That's the Disney's Dinosaur figure.  8)

Tylosaurus

It would be nice if just more types would be made instead of just Mosasaurus & Tylosaurus.

brontodocus

Hey, nice group shot! :) Is it possible that the Papo Tylosaurus has two colour variants? Yours seems to be brownish, like the catalogue photo. On Saturday, I've seen one in a toy shop, though, and it was more dark olive green (almost as green as the new running Tyrannosaurus). Sometimes photos may be deceiving but this time I believe the difference is significant enough to assume that there is at least some variation in colour. Anyway, one of the members who has Malcolm's Fauna Casts Tylosaurus should probably post a photo of that one, too. :)

Oh Lord, won't you buy me a T-rex by Krentz? My friends all have Sideshow, I must make amends.

Tylosaurus

That's a nice groupshot dinotoyforum :P

Here's one I came across on google search which I don't see in there yet, looks like a lego Mosasaurus :)
http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=6721-1

The same for this Zalinger Mosasaurus :)
http://www.collectorsquest.com/collectible/43692/zallinger-mosasaurus

This one also looks cool, but it seems to be rare as SBell explained:
http://dinotoyforum.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=toys&thread=468&page=1#9330

Well my Mosasaurs can be seen here :)

Click picture to enlarge :)

The Safari Tylosaurus and the Safari Mosasaurus are the ones in there :)
I will try and keep a look out if I find you any others you may seek :)

Gryphoceratops

I actually have the lego mosasuarus!

tyrantqueen

Tylosaurus, you should start a thread in the Collections section, so we can see your collection  :)

DinoToyForum

Quote from: brontodocus on April 03, 2012, 07:11:51 PM
Hey, nice group shot! :) Is it possible that the Papo Tylosaurus has two colour variants? Yours seems to be brownish, like the catalogue photo. On Saturday, I've seen one in a toy shop, though, and it was more dark olive green (almost as green as the new running Tyrannosaurus). Sometimes photos may be deceiving but this time I believe the difference is significant enough to assume that there is at least some variation in colour. Anyway, one of the members who has Malcolm's Fauna Casts Tylosaurus should probably post a photo of that one, too. :)

I didn't use a flash, so the colour in the photo is pretty natural. I'm not sure if there are colour variants.

Yes, Malcolm's Tylosaurus, I must acquire one!  :)

SBell

Quote from: Tylosaurus on April 03, 2012, 07:20:06 PM

This one also looks cool, but it seems to be rare as SBell explained:
http://dinotoyforum.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=toys&thread=468&page=1#9330

That is mine! It is part of a 'mystery' collectible series from Japan--I think it is a UHA Collect Club, but it might be a Medicom.  Although I have referred to it as a mosasaur, some people I know consider it a large thalattosuchan crocodilomorph like Dakosarus.  The problem here is that the tail is not the characteristic heterocercal shape, and that it has scutes, which metriorhynchid thalattosaurs  do not have.  I'm not clear on teleosaurids but apparently a more robust lineage existed that did have scutes. Looking now, Machimosaurus from the late Jurassic-early Cretaceous of Europe/Africa would fit the bill, as the largest thalattosaur at 9m long! So it is probably that one (it had scutes and everything).

And yes, everyone should have a FC Tylosaurus (although it in no way constitutes a toy).

[attachment msg=4259][/attachment]

Tylosaurus

I'd still prefer the Shane Foulkes Tylo if I'd choose a perfect looking model and I'd choose Copper to paint it. after I get my workstation upgraded I plan on going for this beast:
http://stores.homestead.com/hstrial-Dliebman2/-strse-151/Tylosaurus-Resin-Kit-by/Detail.bok

That is one I can advise any of you here 8)

@ Tyrantqueen :)

My collections are split up, I sent you a PM about their locations :+

DinoToyForum

I may have found out the identity of the small green mosasaur at the front in my photo, facing to the left.
According to this eBay listing of the same figure, it was issued by 'El Cigarral' in Spain. Which I guess is a company - I'm not sure?
Rare premium from Spain issued by El Cigarral Tylosaurus dinosaur ********* 0.99

My figure was given to me from a colleague in Portugal, so it must have been released there too. :)

Thagirion

Neat groups shot.  I like the one with the stripes, the little one after the ammonite and the Papo. I'm new to some of these companies so don't know what all of them are.
Creation. Is an act of sheer WILL - John Hammond
*Thag's Journal * Thag's Flickr * Thag's Youtube *

postsaurischian

Quote from: Thagirion on April 28, 2012, 04:06:24 PM
I like the one with the stripes, the little one after the ammonite .......

That's the Mosasaurus of Colorata's Cretaceous Vol.2 Dino box.

Very nice group shot  :)

Thagirion

Thanks for letting me know. Some of those Japanese figures are very nice.
Creation. Is an act of sheer WILL - John Hammond
*Thag's Journal * Thag's Flickr * Thag's Youtube *

Brontozaurus

Quote from: Tylosaurus on April 03, 2012, 07:20:06 PM

Here's one I came across on google search which I don't see in there yet, looks like a lego Mosasaurus :)
http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=6721-1

I own that one. It is indeed a Mosasaurus. The kit also makes Iguanodon, Dimetrodon, and Postosuchus, plus whatever you want to make out of the parts.

Since we've had posts of your plesiosaur, pliosaur, and now mosasaur collection, are we going to see a 'Icky icky icthyosaurs' post eventually?  :D
"Uww wuhuhuhuh HAH HAWR HA HAWR."
-Ian Malcolm

My collection! UPDATED 21.03.2020: Dungeons & Dinosaurs!

Takama

Quote from: brontodocus on April 03, 2012, 07:11:51 PM

Papo likes make some individual figures darker then others.  My pachycephalasaurus is significantly darker, then those that i seen in other peoples collections.

Bokisaurus

Here are two more mosasaurs ;D

And of course the SRG Bronze figure! ;)

Himmapaan

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Brontozaurus on May 01, 2012, 12:52:26 AM

Since we've had posts of your plesiosaur, pliosaur, and now mosasaur collection, are we going to see a 'Icky icky icthyosaurs' post eventually?  :D

Unless someone beats me to it, yes! I've been waiting until I acquire one or two more.
Quote from: Bokisaurus on May 08, 2012, 07:22:32 AM

If it was explained before, I've forgotten! What is this?  O:-)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: