You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Patrx's Collection (Fauna Prehistorica)

Started by Patrx, April 04, 2012, 12:48:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Metallisuchus

Great stuff. I have a few of those myself. I agree though - there are hardly any good models labeled Deinonychus, but there are plenty labeled Velociraptor which resemble Deinonychus more than Velociraptor anyway.

I have 2 odd "Velociraptor" pieces that are very JP-based. I'll get around to posting them one day, as I don't think I've seen them anywhere online. They're more like statues.

Patrx

Quote from: Metallisuchus on May 24, 2012, 03:28:44 AM
Great stuff. I have a few of those myself. I agree though - there are hardly any good models labeled Deinonychus, but there are plenty labeled Velociraptor which resemble Deinonychus more than Velociraptor anyway.

I have 2 odd "Velociraptor" pieces that are very JP-based. I'll get around to posting them one day, as I don't think I've seen them anywhere online. They're more like statues.
Thanks!
Oh, definitely - there are lots of great old-school Deinonychus figures that're labeled Velociraptor. For instance, the Papo raptor, which is all well and good. But, as far as an up-to-date, educational representation of Deinonychus antirrhopus, I can't find a single one. Even the ones that bother to have feathers arrange them inaccurately, considering the actual Deinonychus was basically a large bird with clawed wings and teeth. *Sigh*.

That'd be cool to see :) I do rather like JP raptors, outdated though they be. I saw a couple of raptor statues being sold on Ebay a while back. Not a model or kit I recognized. Perhaps you're the one that bought them?

Metallisuchus

Quote from: Pixelboy on May 24, 2012, 05:08:42 PM
Quote from: Metallisuchus on May 24, 2012, 03:28:44 AM

Thanks!
Oh, definitely - there are lots of great old-school Deinonychus figures that're labeled Velociraptor. For instance, the Papo raptor, which is all well and good. But, as far as an up-to-date, educational representation of Deinonychus antirrhopus, I can't find a single one. Even the ones that bother to have feathers arrange them inaccurately, considering the actual Deinonychus was basically a large bird with clawed wings and teeth. *Sigh*.

That'd be cool to see :) I do rather like JP raptors, outdated though they be. I saw a couple of raptor statues being sold on Ebay a while back. Not a model or kit I recognized. Perhaps you're the one that bought them?

No, I don't think I ever bought any dinos on Ebay. I got one at an indoor marketplace, and my father gave me the other one. Regarding JP raptors though... The name Crichton gave them was Velociraptor antirrhopus, no different than Deinonychus anyway - just that he changed the genus name because of a book he read at the time.

Patrx

Quote from: Metallisuchus on May 25, 2012, 12:01:38 AM
Regarding JP raptors though... The name Crichton gave them was Velociraptor antirrhopus, no different than Deinonychus anyway - just that he changed the genus name because of a book he read at the time.
Ah, yes, Predatory Dinosaurs of the World. Great resource, for the time. Gregory Paul just likes to lump genera together  :P

Gwangi

I think the Favorite soft model comes pretty close in terms of accuracy. Certainly one of the better ones anyway.

There is another one by some Japanese company, the name escapes me though.

Patrx

Quote from: Gwangi on May 25, 2012, 12:27:55 AM

I think the Favorite soft model comes pretty close in terms of accuracy. Certainly one of the better ones anyway.

There is another one by some Japanese company, the name escapes me though.

Thanks, it is close, yes. As you say, probably the closest out there at the moment. But ... it's not quite there :P Also, the details aren't quite so sharp in on the actual figure.
Yes, I'm kinda picky. It's a good thing I don't care much about scale, or I'd have no dinosaurs at all  ^-^

tanystropheus

A very solid collection--You seem to be an eclectic collector. Great assortment of fossils and/or replicas.

Patrx

Time for another update!

Tyrannosaurus rex
Kinto/Favorite
You may have already seen this one in my Dinosaur Toy Blog review, but it is such a marvel that I deemed the repetition necessary.  8)

Apatosaurus
Kaiyodo

Giraffatitan brancai
Kaiyodo

Triceratops horridus (2012)
Takara/Tomy
Unlike last year's offer, this guy has correct hands :D Also, I love the design on the frill, though the photo's not displaying it well. The only thing I don't like is the lack of cheeks, but that's more preference than science.

Allosaurus fragilis
Takara/Tomy
I like this one, even if the detail's not exactly beautiful. I think it's meant to be feathered, which is great to see in an allosaur figure!

Deinonychus antirrhopus
Kabaya
No primary feathers or face feathers, and the legs are a bit long - but the pose and coloration made it tough to pass up. Especially given my frustration in finding a nice, up-to-date Deinonychus.

Deinonychus antirrhopus
Kinto/Favorite
I finally picked up one of these, despite my misgivings. It's got a few problems (super-long tail, reedy neck, no primaries, etc), but it does look rather better in person than in photos. Also, I found one that can stand up, which is neat.

Pteranodon sternbergi
Kinto/Favorite
Or Geosternbergia? It seems that's not really decided at the moment. Either way, the detail on this one's great.

Beipiaosaurus inexpectus
Technically a tripod - which I typically avoid - but the posture's not conspicuously awkward.

Vagaceratops irvinensis
Another one I almost skipped, since the hands are a little off. It looks nice in person, though, and it's an unusual genus.

ZoPteryx

That Kinto/Favorite T. rex model is amazing! :o

Jetoar

Cool deinonychus and great collection  ^-^.
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Patrx

Quote from: Zopteryx on January 24, 2013, 04:46:17 AM
That Kinto/Favorite T. rex model is amazing! :o
I'm pretty fond of it, myself :)

Quote from: Jetoar on January 24, 2013, 10:46:16 AM
Cool deinonychus and great collection  ^-^.
Thanks! If anybody knows of a Deinonychus - or really, any dromaeosaur - figure out there that has its primary feathers, I'd be glad to know of it.

Patrx

Time to update again!
I have to apologize for any repeat pictures, but I'd like this thread to be comprehensive.

Gryposaurus
("Hook-nosed reptile")
Safari, LTD
Easily my favorite of the 2013 Wild Safari line. The skin detail is fantastic.

Scutosaurus
("Shield reptile")
Safari, LTD

Gastornis (repainted)
("Gaston's gigantic bird")
Safari, LTD
Finally, a properly feathered prehistoric theropod from a major American company!  ;)

Triceratops horridus
("Horrid three-horned face")
Kaiyodo

Triceratops horridus skeleton model
Kaiyodo

Triceratops horridus skull model
Kaiyodo

Diabloceratops eatoni
("Eaton's devil-horned face")
Kaiyodo
This one's my favorite of the new ceratopsian set by Kaiyodo - I like the expression on its face XD However, I doubt the tail quills could have been green, since green is a structural color and only occurs on complex feathers - as far as I know.

Kosmoceratops richardsoni
(Richardson's decorative-horned face")
Kaiyodo

Ouranosaurus nigeriensis
("Brave reptile of Niger")
Sega

Troodon
Sculpted by David Krentz
Built and painted by Martin Garratt

Dilophosaurus
Sculpted by Malcolm Mlodoch
Painted by Martin Garratt

Yinlong downsi
("Downs' hidden dragon")
Sculpted by Manuel Bejarano
Painted, based, and given tail quills by me

Plotosaurus bennisoni
("Bennison's swimming reptile")
Sculpted by Galileo Hernández Núñez
Painted by me

Inostrancevia
(Named for Aleksandr Inostrantsev)
Sculpted by Galileo Hernández Núñez
Painted by me

Libraraptor

A broad spectrum from standard to very exclusive, but definitely great new acquisitions! The Inostrancevia is outstanding!

Patrx

Quote from: Libraraptor on March 28, 2014, 11:58:59 PM
A broad spectrum from standard to very exclusive, but definitely great new acquisitions! The Inostrancevia is outstanding!

Thanks! My collecting style is eclectic; as I don't generally care about collecting specific lines or scale ranges.

DinoToyForum

Patrx, thanks for submitting your collection video to the Dinotoyblog Youtube channel! I've added it to the Dinosaur Toy Collections Overviews playlist here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLG7kvS_UjKVgOS8TLXiCOYaQuTqJtkbXJ

Here's the video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1LZVRL91LE

Arul

Thanks for the share, awesome collector    :D

Dinomike

Very impressive!  And really great repaints on some of the models!
Check out my new Spinosaurus figure: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5099.0

triceratops83

Wonderful collection and extraordinary photography!
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Patrx

Thanks, all! Glad you enjoyed the video. This reminds me that this thread is in pretty serious need of an update.

Quote from: Dinomike on December 29, 2014, 02:38:26 PM
Very impressive!  And really great repaints on some of the models!

Thank you! All the really great paintwork is by the inimitable Martin Garratt - on the Krentz Troodon, Favorite Triceratops, and FaunaCasts Dilophosaurus, or by Malcolm Mlodoch, who painted (and sculpted) the FaunaCasts Tyrannosaurus, Suchomimus, Ceratosaurus, and Daeodon.

DinoToyForum

I updated the video with Patrx's own soundtrack :)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: