News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Thoughts on Removing Tags

Started by morrijos, June 14, 2014, 06:31:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

morrijos

After painstakingly moving my collection to a new apartment, I have come to realize how much the informational tags attached to a figure detract from its display value.  Their tendency to extend beyond the figure means that they take up a bit of extra display space (something that comes at a high price, as you all know).  I grew up during the height of the Beanie Baby collecting era.  Perhaps some of you remember that removing the tag from a Beanie Baby was was considered a sin worse than adultery or murder, at the time.  This has been etched permanently into my mind, and now I'm very reluctant to remove the tags from any new dinosaur piece.

So what's majority rule on removing tags from most dinosaur collectibles?  Does it significantly decrease a figure's value, or no?  The majority of my collection consists of Bullyland, Carnegie, and Safari pieces so, their monetary value isn't that high to begin with.  My lone Battat, the diplodocus, has already lost its tag to the sands of time so, I'm not forced to confront that moral dilemma...

I suppose if I did remove the tags from all my pieces, I would still keep them safe in a Ziploc bag somewhere. 

Yutyrannus

I'd say remove the tags. They take up space and the figure looks better without them.

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

Gwangi

I remove all the tags, I don't think I ever intend on selling off my collection. Also, I think our particular hobby consists of a small portion of the population. Hell, there are probably still more Beanie Baby collectors out there than dinosaur toy collectors! So I don't think a missing tag will really take away that much value. If you want to sell it and someone really wants it, they'll buy it. Personally, I would rather buy rare figures without the boxes/bags/tags because if I get one, all that stuff is going in the trash and I would feel a bit guilty.

morrijos

Quote from: Gwangi on June 14, 2014, 07:25:27 PM
Personally, I would rather buy rare figures without the boxes/bags/tags because if I get one, all that stuff is going in the trash and I would feel a bit guilty.

I agree.  That's why I bought my Battat dippy at a lower price why fully aware that he had a host of paint rubs.  Now I don't feel as paranoid while handling/moving him. 

I also remember seeing an article that mentioned using a type of thread, very similar to that which attached the original paper tags on older Carnegie pieces, to remove and reattach tags to figures.  It's that gold, stretchy thread that most of you have probably seen.  Does anyone remember this article, or where to buy the thread itself?   

amargasaurus cazaui

Another factor worth pointing out is some of the figures have tags attached with a plastic "tie" which scrapes and damages the paint as the tag is moved.
  I believe that Seiijun has come up with the ultimate answer for this issue, using the gold thread and tying it similar to the way I believe she said Battats were tagged originally, although that might not be correct. I do know she showed me how she does it and sent me a sample of the thread she gets from a hobby store, and I believe she has the best answer for this.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

tyrantqueen

Yep, I remember the beanie baby era. I actually collect teddy bears and I keep all the tags on them. But I don't keep the tags for my dinosaurs. I'm not sure why, but I never saw any reason to do so. I like to repaint and modify my models, and having to remove the tags is annoying.

Invicta Hunter

Figures definitely look better without their tags but i can never bring myself to remove them unless they can be easily reattached. The tags i really dont like are the sticky ones that are often put around legs. Over time the glue goes white and can stick to the paint so i now put a little bit of one sided wax paper behind the tag. This keeps the tag and the paint work safe.

Ikessauro

I myself like tags, I collect them too. But I don't keep them on the model. I remove them and store them in a plastic bag. I prefer to keep tags because of the info they have, like, date of release, correct name of the company and so on.

By the way, those of you who don't collect tags, send them to me, I wouldn't mind...  :P ;D

Takama

I remove tags.  But sometimes if a item is rare, I leave them on (for instance Bullyland Prochirotherium)

DinoLord

I keep tags on rarer items but remove them on more common ones. I have a drawer full of tags and packaging and such.

sauroid

i remove them but don't throw them away. tags arent a big deal otherwise i wouldnt be buying 2nd hand figures.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

SpittersForEver

In my opinion, the tags make the animal not seem so real when I play with them. I can't imagine me playing with even a rare toy with the tag on.

bigbear

DEFINITELY remove tags! In fact remove anything that can be removed that wasn't actually a part of the beast you bought! Several reasons:
1) A tagless figure looks far better on display.
2) Tape and some strings and wires react with the model or scratch the paint.
3) It's easier to read a tag when it has been removed from the figure.
4) Tags can be stored and then sold on with the figure concerned.
5) No fossils of tags have been found as yet, so they may be totally inaccurate and the wrong colour, etc...

stargatedalek

I always remove tags, unless I plan on reselling something
if the tag(s) are interesting I may keep them, I have quite the stash of safari tags

SBell

I have never kept tags for display figures--the whole point of display is to see the figure. If I need a tag for it, I'll put one on the display case in the museum that would never exist for such a thing.

I do keep ones (now) that have info--like the Bully special issues--and have always kept the info papers for any Japanese figures that had them, but it is rare that the little leg-tape bands actually improve the value (except in one recent case I ran into--doesn't matter how old and rare the figures are, someone needed the Schleich figures tagged!).

Which is why the new Mojo ones are the best available. They use a plastic locking system that can be wound onto any figure, and will stay put with no gluing. The tags can be pushed off and kept, to be put back on. But unlike the gold-thread versions, these plastic tags won't stretch or loosen, so they don't fall off in-store (making store owners happy--it can cause a mess). And the tags don't require cutting like the Safari arrow tags, which are single-use. This is great because they can be taken off easily, and remain original; and a store doesn't need blades nearby for their customers who want to play RIGHT NOW!

stargatedalek

Quote from: SBell on July 07, 2014, 02:28:20 AM
Safari arrow tags....and a store doesn't need blades nearby for their customers who want to play RIGHT NOW!
guilty ^-^

word of the unwise never try removing them by hand, it hurts....
I've done it, but it hurts....

docronnie

Most of my toys are loose, so tags don't bother me, I remove them and throw away, unless they have valuable information.

In the toy collecting arena, figures with original tags usually cost more than loose figures.  That's how it is.
Keep The Magic Alive and Kicking! :-)

SBell

Quote from: stargatedalek on July 07, 2014, 02:46:47 AM
Safari arrow tags....and a store doesn't need blades nearby for their customers who want to play RIGHT NOW!
guilty ^-^

Once you've mastered them, it is possible to remove them and put them back on. But it takes years of training and sore fingers  :P.

CityRaptor

I also remove them. Depending on if they contain info or not, I also keep them in a small box.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

stargatedalek

Quote from: SBell on July 07, 2014, 05:39:14 AM
Quote from: stargatedalek on July 07, 2014, 02:46:47 AM
guilty ^-^

Once you've mastered them, it is possible to remove them and put them back on. But it takes years of training and sore fingers  :P.
putting them back on I can do, but I need more practice taking them off :P

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: