News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Oviraptors, Citipatti and Gigantaraptor,

Started by amargasaurus cazaui, August 09, 2014, 09:26:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amargasaurus cazaui

I had always meant to make a topic for these guys and finally am getting around to it. Although I have not populated it with pictures yet, feel free to share yours. I will add my own to this initial posting as I can. This group of dinosaurs is fascinating and I look forward to sharing some of the models I have to  bring here, thanks

I think my love affair with Oviraptors began about four or five years ago, when I happened to notice that Eons Ago was selling several Citipatti eggs on ebay. He also had a museum level Oviraptor egg listed at a very hefty price, and although it was a gorgeous egg I never thought I would someday own it. To summarize a story I have already told in pictures in the dinosaur egg thread, my third species of dinosaur egg I acquired was a Citipatti egg. It measured 7 1/4 inches long and while just an average egg for condition and grade, it brought me a great deal of excitement to have. Roughly a year later the same man who sold me my three previous eggs announced he was liquidating. I made note he still had the premium quality egg and began teasing myself with the idea of getting it. I made a few offers and he counter offered a few times and then.....SOLD. I was delighted if a bit unsure how to pay for it ......my mother stepped in and helped as a gift to me .
  People ask me why I collect psittacosaurus so heavily and my response is because the skeleton I have serves as a focal point for my collection. In much the same way, my Oviraptor egg is also a focal point . I hope you enjoy the models I am going to post, and please feel free to post your own.

This model is named Snowey, a name Martin chose for it. Thoe familiar with it will recognize that this is a Model Martin sculpted, cast, and ultimately built and painted for me. I know in his own thread you can find pictures of a black version he did as well as a different white one. I requested mine with these colors and was delighted with the model.

This picture was originally done as a cartoon for my local mineral society newsletter and had a caption that said......"Wow dude that is a big egg, are you sure it is ours?  Most will recognize the models used, and egg is actually the Oviraptor egg, so it offers some idea of scale

The following group of models were all hand signed by Forest Rogers for me. I especially treasure the Oviraptor because I did not send the model to her, she simply chose to sign it and give it to me as a gift. Apparently the feather texture made signing a tough idea, but she still managed to get her name on the tail for me. (Thanks Forest !!!)

I made this scene myself on a foot square mirror using spreay adhesive, a lot of sand and some fake railroad brush etc. I am sure you will recognize the models I used, however the small slinking figure to the lower right is the juvenile rex from the Tamiya set and the small dinosaur in the top right he is stalking is I believe the Hysphilodon from the same set. It was the first and last diorama I ever built myself.

This is Martin's repaint of the classic Carnegie Caudipteryx figure. I am very fond of it.

The egg replica in the picture is one of the funny stories in modern Dinosaur toys. As the block containing Baby Louie was being cleaned and prepped the dinosaur involved was identified as a Therizinosaurus. The model the toy represents was sculpted as an embryonic theri, and the prep continued on the block of matrix containing Baby Louie and the eggs.At some point it became obvious the dinosaur was a massive Oviraptorid chick rather than a theri, however it was too late. The sculpture had already been completed, and had been a central feature in the National Geographic article and the then newly released book "Hunting Dinosaurs" Used the picture as one of its cover variations. The actual original sculpture was life-size at eighteen inches long. The toy replica is a mini version of the original
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Gwangi

I'll be watching this thread with great interest. As it stands however the only oviraptor figures I own are the fairly standard Carnegie oviraptor, Carnegie Caudipteryx and "Dino Discoveries" oviraptor on nest. Hardly worth sharing pictures of. What I really want to find is the "Dino Discoveries" oviraptor egg, the one with the baby inside. If anyone sees this and can help me out on that one I would appreciate it!

This one! I would be surprised Amarga if you didn't already have it.

Takama

Quote from: Gwangi on August 09, 2014, 09:33:33 PM
I'll be watching this thread with great interest. As it stands however the only oviraptor figures I own are the fairly standard Carnegie oviraptor, Carnegie Caudipteryx and "Dino Discoveries" oviraptor on nest. Hardly worth sharing pictures of. What I really want to find is the "Dino Discoveries" oviraptor egg, the one with the baby inside. If anyone sees this and can help me out on that one I would appreciate it!

This one! I would be surprised Amarga if you didn't already have it.

Have you asked Dean Walker?  he seems to have one in stock

http://www.dejankins.com/safari-other/

Takama

tyrantqueen

I could see CollectA or maybe even Carnegie releasing a Gigantoraptor and doing it really well. A Citipati would be cool too, but it's very similar to Oviraptor to most people so the chances of one being made are less.

The best Oviraptor for me is the Carnegie one, although I like the Papo one because it works really well as a retro model.

Takama

Quote from: tyrantqueen on August 09, 2014, 10:31:21 PM
I could see CollectA or maybe even Carnegie releasing a Gigantoraptor and doing it really well. A Citipati would be cool too, but it's very similar to Oviraptor to most people so the chances of one being made are less.

The best Oviraptor for me is the Carnegie one, although I like the Papo one because it works really well as a retro model.

Shoot I forgot to include My Papo model in my Round up Picture :-[

Gwangi

Quote from: Takama on August 09, 2014, 10:41:18 PM
Quote from: tyrantqueen on August 09, 2014, 10:31:21 PM

Shoot I forgot to include My Papo model in my Round up Picture :-[

Gonna have to take another one! Thanks for the Dejankin's tip, I should have known he would have it. Will have to toss it into my next order.

amargasaurus cazaui

Added some of the pictures to my opening post, enjoy
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Bokisaurus

Great collection as always, and it's about time a thread is dedicated to this group ;)
A few from my collection.

Iguanocolossus

I do hope they make more, especially with Gigantoraptor and Anzu being big and spectacular enough to grab the public eye

amargasaurus cazaui

Thanks for the contributions Takama and Boki. great pictures. I need to shoot a few more of my own as well !!!!

amargasaurus cazaui

Anzu (named for Anzû, a feathered demon in ancient Mesopotamian mythology)

Shapeways model, sculpted by Aaron Doyle, and previously from the Tyrannt Queen Caboodle.....this little guy went directly to Martin for paint and a base. Love the fine details here....gorgeous model.

Patrx

Neat! I don't think I've seen this thread before. I guess I ought to add mine:

Of what material is yours, if I may ask?

amargasaurus cazaui

Yours is welcome here of course, the thread is for anyone who wants to share about these dinosaurs. As to material errr..umm...well lets see..its umm....hey Tyrannt Queen what size and material was this one? This was one she sold me, and I had her send it directly to Martin for paint so, she will have to let us know.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on May 15, 2015, 07:44:29 PM
Yours is welcome here of course, the thread is for anyone who wants to share about these dinosaurs. As to material errr..umm...well lets see..its umm....hey Tyrannt Queen what size and material was this one? This was one she sold me, and I had her send it directly to Martin for paint so, she will have to let us know.
It was 1/20, and in the (now retired) frosted detail material :)

Patrx

Thanks for the info, TQ! The details in that material are/were nice.

Halichoeres

In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on May 15, 2015, 06:57:12 PM
Anzu (named for Anzû, a feathered demon in ancient Mesopotamian mythology)

Shapeways model, sculpted by Aaron Doyle, and previously from the Tyrannt Queen Caboodle.....this little guy went directly to Martin for paint and a base. Love the fine details here....gorgeous model.

This one arrived today from Martin and I fell in love with it instantly. It has perhaps the best color blending and work I have seen Martin do. I generally dont care for feathered fiends, but this one is quite special. The sculpt is quite stunning already, and is one Aaron's better pieces for sure. add to that a nice base and some gorgeous paints and wow...

BlueKrono

Bokisaurus: What is the yellow oviraptorid in your second photo, just below the group shot? I'm looking for a model to do a Chirostenotes mod on until I'm able to afford the Shapeways one. I like the look of that one.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Halichoeres

Quote from: BlueKrono on September 26, 2016, 10:41:40 PM
Bokisaurus: What is the yellow oviraptorid in your second photo, just below the group shot? I'm looking for a model to do a Chirostenotes mod on until I'm able to afford the Shapeways one. I like the look of that one.

Forgive me for answering for Bokisaurus, but he's a fairly occasional visitor and I doubt he'll mind. That's the 2009 Dino Expo Gigantoraptor from Capcom. Depending on what size you want the Shapeways print, you might not actually find this one any cheaper.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: