News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

T

Reconstructing soft anatomy

Started by Trisdino, August 14, 2014, 07:27:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yutyrannus

Quote from: stargatedalek on August 15, 2014, 09:48:06 PM
I'm sorry and I'm not trying to be argumentative here, but how is it that after trying to tell him politely (many times) telling him more aggressively is impolite, and yet his continually ignoring us and saying our evidence is void without supplying any of his own (despite our having evidence to back up our points) is not impolite?

and no I'm not referring only to this thread, I'm referring to throughout the forums his tendency to attack anything that doesn't suit his own personal likes as "inaccurate" (which is entirely false)
Thank you for backing me up :).

Out of curiosity is Trisdino banned temporarily or permanently? Because really he doesn't deserve to be permanently banned for just that.

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

DinoToyForum

Both sides of this debate are getting wound up so the warning is for everyone to remain civil.  C:-)

The ban, regretfully, is permanent. Trisdino's act of defiance was intentional.

Yutyrannus

How was that not civil? I simply thanked Stargatedalek for backing me up ???.

EDIT: I just saw that you were not specifically referring to me.

Wait, changing the title of a thread back counts as "defiance"? And honestly it's a little ridiculous to ban someone for that (I don't mean this as an insult to you, but I'm sorry that's what I think). Besides there is nothing about defiance in the forum rules.

stargatedalek

Quote from: Ultimatedinoking on August 15, 2014, 05:35:34 PM
Sometimes you just have to hammer science into people's heads, i once spent forever telling someone that harvestmen are not spiders, and are not "the most toxic spider". He got all mad and left.
thats kind of how we feel when you say dinosaurs were all emaciated and lacking feathers

not trying to start a fight here, just saying

Yutyrannus

Quote from: stargatedalek on August 16, 2014, 12:11:28 AM
Quote from: Ultimatedinoking on August 15, 2014, 05:35:34 PM
Sometimes you just have to hammer science into people's heads, i once spent forever telling someone that harvestmen are not spiders, and are not "the most toxic spider". He got all mad and left.
thats kind of how we feel when you say dinosaurs were all emaciated and lacking feathers

not trying to start a fight here, just saying
I agree, although he's starting to see the point about not shrink-wrapping dinosaurs.

stargatedalek

tris is pretty pissed ATM, probably best I don't give his regards

I just want to put this on the table, I like retrosaurs, I even prefer them in some context, but I accept that they are inaccurate and live with it
(which might be why it bothers me so much when companies (documentaries in particular) won't do the same and admit it when their dinosaurs are a work of fiction)

Yutyrannus

That's understandable, I would be if I was banned like that, I still think he shouldn't have been banned but I guess I don't have any say in the matter.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Yutyrannus on August 16, 2014, 12:01:02 AM
How was that not civil? I simply thanked Stargatedalek for backing me up ???.

EDIT: I just saw that you were not specifically referring to me.

Wait, changing the title of a thread back counts as "defiance"?

No, I didn't say that.

Quote from: Yutyrannus on August 16, 2014, 12:01:02 AM
And honestly it's a little ridiculous to ban someone for that (I don't mean this as an insult to you, but I'm sorry that's what I think). Besides there is nothing about defiance in the forum rules.

Obviously you should do as the moderators ask on the forum. Please, this is wasting my time, and your accusation is an insult. When a sentence contains "I don't mean this as an insult but...", then an insult surely follows. I'm giving you a 24 hour time out for you to gather your thoughts.

DinoToyForum

I have set Trisdino's ban to expire after 60 days, so it is no longer permanent. C:-)

EmperorDinobot

Regardless of the drama presented here, let me give you my take.

The last year or so I've been studying paleoanthropology.

1. I hate mammals

2. I don't draw mammals often

3. when I do they suck.

4. because I have no interest

5. Yet I tried.

6. It is impossible.

Here's why. I'm sure you've read Jaime Headden's post on crests and how he made a male gorilla look like a chimp with a cassowary crest. I would have too if I had found a fossilized male gorilla head. Heck there's all these gorilla bones we got and I'm sure my gorilla with conservative proportions would look totally different from what they look like in reality.  I worked on this Teilhardina (and others) for a few weeks and I have not yet posted it because I could never be satisfied with how it would look. I wanted to do bush baby, microcebus look, but it just wouldn't work...None of them worked.  IDK. We paleoanthopologists have a huuuuge problem reconstructing these extinct primates in life. It's an awful and impossible undertaking. Same goes for dinos unless they've been so well mummified we know every bit and spot out of them. This is why the "All New Yesterdays" book/project/issue was born. I've been accused of shamelsss self promotion. Whatever. I did an Apatosaurus with a humanshape nose and fuzz. Probably wrong. Heck those who said Diplodocus had a trunk may have been right. WHO KNOWS? Soft tissue is a pain in the butt. So here's my advice:

Consult your ancestors via spirit and astral projection and draw dinosaurs as you think they are right! And if you don't think they are right, draw them anyways! (archosaurs, plesiosaurs, ichthyyos, reptiles, mammal likes and everything alive before 100k applies here). No rights or wrongs here!

There is nothing more fun than depicting ancient life on paper. It's the best thing in the world! So tread on friends!

Yutyrannus

Quote from: EmperorDinobot on August 16, 2014, 01:09:21 PM
Regardless of the drama presented here, let me give you my take.

The last year or so I've been studying paleoanthropology.

1. I hate mammals

2. I don't draw mammals often

3. when I do they suck.

4. because I have no interest

5. Yet I tried.

6. It is impossible.

Here's why. I'm sure you've read Jaime Headden's post on crests and how he made a male gorilla look like a chimp with a cassowary crest. I would have too if I had found a fossilized male gorilla head. Heck there's all these gorilla bones we got and I'm sure my gorilla with conservative proportions would look totally different from what they look like in reality.  I worked on this Teilhardina (and others) for a few weeks and I have not yet posted it because I could never be satisfied with how it would look. I wanted to do bush baby, microcebus look, but it just wouldn't work...None of them worked.  IDK. We paleoanthopologists have a huuuuge problem reconstructing these extinct primates in life. It's an awful and impossible undertaking. Same goes for dinos unless they've been so well mummified we know every bit and spot out of them. This is why the "All New Yesterdays" book/project/issue was born. I've been accused of shamelsss self promotion. Whatever. I did an Apatosaurus with a humanshape nose and fuzz. Probably wrong. Heck those who said Diplodocus had a trunk may have been right. WHO KNOWS? Soft tissue is a pain in the butt. So here's my advice:

Consult your ancestors via spirit and astral projection and draw dinosaurs as you think they are right! And if you don't think they are right, draw them anyways! (archosaurs, plesiosaurs, ichthyyos, reptiles, mammal likes and everything alive before 100k applies here). No rights or wrongs here!

There is nothing more fun than depicting ancient life on paper. It's the best thing in the world! So tread on friends!
Good advice :).

Manatee

Quote from: stargatedalek on August 16, 2014, 12:19:47 AM

I just want to put this on the table, I like retrosaurs, I even prefer them in some context, but I accept that they are inaccurate and live with it
(which might be why it bothers me so much when companies (documentaries in particular) won't do the same and admit it when their dinosaurs are a work of fiction)

Agreed. It especially bothered me when it was announced the "raptors" in Jurassic World would purposely be made into the scaly retrosaurs from the original three as opposed to the rather fluffy animal it is now known to be today.

And by the way, EmperorDinobot, if you are referring to my "Banning Game" post banning you, the shameless self-promotion thing was a joke about your "Dinoriffic Sales" signature. (Plus, I just got finished drawing a fluffy, fat Tyrannosaurus with a very unique-looking head. How I love recreating dinosaurs in strange ways!)

Ultimatedinoking

Hey! Retrosaurs is my taken word! Hands off!  :D
I may not like feathered dinosaurs and stumpy legged Spinosaurs, but I will keep those opinions to myself, I will not start a debate over it, I promise. 😇
-UDK

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Ultimatedinoking on August 17, 2014, 02:11:58 AM
Hardly, that word was around years before you joined the forum. It was around before I joined, even.

Yutyrannus

Quote from: tyrantqueen on August 17, 2014, 02:13:40 AM
Quote from: Ultimatedinoking on August 17, 2014, 02:11:58 AM
Hardly, that word was around years before you joined the forum. It was around before I joined, even.
Yeah, we've used that word for a LONG time.

Ultimatedinoking

I may not like feathered dinosaurs and stumpy legged Spinosaurs, but I will keep those opinions to myself, I will not start a debate over it, I promise. 😇
-UDK

Yutyrannus

That's okay, it's no big deal :).

Ultimatedinoking

-UDK

EmperorDinobot

Quote from: Manatee on August 17, 2014, 01:12:39 AM
Quote from: stargatedalek on August 16, 2014, 12:19:47 AM

Agreed. It especially bothered me when it was announced the "raptors" in Jurassic World would purposely be made into the scaly retrosaurs from the original three as opposed to the rather fluffy animal it is now known to be today.

And by the way, EmperorDinobot, if you are referring to my "Banning Game" post banning you, the shameless self-promotion thing was a joke about your "Dinoriffic Sales" signature. (Plus, I just got finished drawing a fluffy, fat Tyrannosaurus with a very unique-looking head. How I love recreating dinosaurs in strange ways!)

Lol haha, yeah I am referring to you  ;) no need to explain yourself, kind of a forum in-joke.

Man I wanna put some crazy wild soft tissues on Diplodocus so bad...

I remember a few years ago there was a mention about Diplodocus and its kin having spikes along its back not too dissimilar from an iguana's spiky crest. Anyone got refs. for that?

Blade-of-the-Moon

not sure if there are any references or what they are..but it's my preference.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: