News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Re-issue of Battat former Museum of Science Boston Series

Started by loru1588, August 21, 2014, 05:44:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SidB

Quote from: Shonisaurus on April 18, 2020, 06:52:23 PM
S @SidB The repainted edmontonia and styracosaurus are also fabulous, by the way. Are you going to market those figures? I like to rage, they are very beautiful figures.

An excellant question, avatar_Shonisaurus @Shonisaurus . No, most definitely not, since I wouldn't want anyone to believe that these are actual prototypes. It you were to see the imprint on the bottom of each, you would see that these are not prototypes, only facsimiles; the original imprints from 1994-96-98 are still in place.

The sheer mass and primal force of the Edmontonia come through very well in Lorusso's sculpt. Any predator would have to be very careful not to receive the forward thrust of those shoulder spikes with the momentum of the angry animal behind them. It's a simpler paint scheme, but that adds to the brute force of the big nodosaurid.

SidB

The original Battat Ouranosaurus remains unequaled IMO by any other company's one, not that there are a lot of them around, of course. I especially like its paint scheme (see the DTB review). So, this re-paint of Dan's below, had a high bar to leap over. What do you think, is it superior?

This is number five of seven of this series.

ceratopsian

The repaint is strikingly beautiful. I like the clean lines and the clarity. I would probably go for this one.

Skorpio V.

Quote from: SidB on April 18, 2020, 12:29:23 PM
I still find this one to be my favorite , and the new paint job to be an improvement on the older one. Up here in Toronto, they've been by far the easiest to acquire in the thrift store bargain bins or bags of cheapies - I've gotten five!

I happen to also be in the GTA - not grand theft auto :)) - what thrift stores have you been to? After the lockdown dies down (which I'm yearning to end soon), of course.
On and off dinosaur collecting phases over the span of millions of years has led me to this very forum.

Shonisaurus

S @SidB Battat's ouranosaurus exotic painting looks great on you. You are an artist with talent to spare.

Gothmog the Baryonyx

The Maiasaura is still by far my favourite, but I have to say the Dilophosaurus and Ouranosaurus are improvement. The original Dilophosaurus was I'm sad to say a little generic looking but this paint job is so lively. Similarly, the new Ouranosaurus is stunning an ditch is sad it never saw light of say. The Edmontonia is great too
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Ikessauro

Excellent idea repainting them with the colors of the new unreleased models. If they weren't so hard and expensive to find, I'd probably do something like that too!

SidB

Quote from: Skorpio V. on April 19, 2020, 11:44:08 PM
Quote from: SidB on April 18, 2020, 12:29:23 PM
I still find this one to be my favorite , and the new paint job to be an improvement on the older one. Up here in Toronto, they've been by far the easiest to acquire in the thrift store bargain bins or bags of cheapies - I've gotten five!

I happen to also be in the GTA - not grand theft auto :)) - what thrift stores have you been to? After the lockdown dies down (which I'm yearning to end soon), of course.
GTA ... ha, I like that! Well, historically I've been a frequenter of Value Village, having visited everyone of them in the region, multiple times. There used to be a good likelihood of getting something decent on most visits, but I have noticed that the donations have fallen off precipitously over the last year or so. The toy bag section is as full as ever, but the content is the cheapest of trashy junk, pure nothingness. Local Talize's sometimes have a bit, almost never anything at flea markets, but of course hope springs eternal - the thrill of the hunt. Many of my Battats, Carnegies, Schleichs and pretty much all of my Invictas have been gradually acquired this way over the past 10-11 years. This past fall I stumbled across a spectacular find of 10 or so Carnegie sub variants that  was missing from my collection, mostly ones that I didn't even know existed (check our Dinoguy2's site, it's remarkable). Finds like this keep me hopeful.

SidB

Quote from: Ikessauro on April 20, 2020, 02:21:27 AM
Excellent idea repainting them with the colors of the new unreleased models. If they weren't so hard and expensive to find, I'd probably do something like that too!
Believe me, I'm with you. It's only because I have duplicates and multiples that I took the plunge.

SidB

Quote from: Gothmog the Baryonyx on April 20, 2020, 02:14:33 AM
The Maiasaura is still by far my favourite, but I have to say the Dilophosaurus and Ouranosaurus are improvement. The original Dilophosaurus was I'm sad to say a little generic looking but this paint job is so lively. Similarly, the new Ouranosaurus is stunning an ditch is sad it never saw light of say. The Edmontonia is great too
Wait till you see the Triceratops. Hope that you like it.

SidB

Quote from: ceratopsian on April 19, 2020, 10:19:41 PM
The repaint is strikingly beautiful. I like the clean lines and the clarity. I would probably go for this one.
It is a beauty, isn't it! Of course the original canvas is an amazing one to work with, for both paint applications.

SidB

Quote from: Shonisaurus on April 20, 2020, 01:58:47 AM
S @SidB Battat's ouranosaurus exotic painting looks great on you. You are an artist with talent to spare.
Thanks, but I can't take credit for it. I was the impetus for the project, but a friend, a very talented friend, executed the actual work.

Skorpio V.

S @SidB Value Village was definitely my first thought, and I haven't stopped by one for the longest time. I've actually never come across a Talize, note to self to try finding one on a road trip or something. For now, spectating on Facebook Marketplace and Kijiji will have to suffice...
On and off dinosaur collecting phases over the span of millions of years has led me to this very forum.

SidB

Quote from: Skorpio V. on April 20, 2020, 05:23:03 AM
S @SidB Value Village was definitely my first thought, and I haven't stopped by one for the longest time. I've actually never come across a Talize, note to self to try finding one on a road trip or something. For now, spectating on Facebook Marketplace and Kijiji will have to suffice...
There's a Talize at Dundas and Dixie on the n-w corner and another thrift shop in the same strip mall complex at the north end. Across the street on the n-e side is the big VV, a half block in and a salvation Army thrift store is across the way on Dundas, west of Walmart. Happy hunting, when the stores open again.

SidB

The sixth of seven.

Although I really like the Maiasaura, generally this is my favorite of the repaints. For a mid 1990's sculpt, the accuracy and detail holds up astonishingly well. Only the bottom of the  leg orientation and the reduction of toes 3 and 4 on the front feet would need to be addressed. Until the advent of Doug Watson's 2018 Triceratops, this was the best mass produced Triceratops on on the market (though Safari's 2008 is very good too). It still displays well and this new paintwork that Dan's prototype had proposed makes it an absolutely stunning addition to the display shelf or diorama. It made absolutely no sense whatsoever that Battat refused and refuses to release this treasure.

ceratopsian

The Trike is another beauty.  I especially like seeing the shot looking head on.  I find the contrast between the direction of the vertical and horizontal lines over frill and back aesthetically very pleasing. 

I'll tell you my overall favourite after seeing the seventh reveal!

SidB

avatar_ceratopsian @ceratopsian , I'm delighted that you like it ... I suspected that you might. With the Styracosaurus and the new Pachyrhinosaurus, this is a splendid troika of ceratopsians. Shame that Battat chose not to release Dan's Pentaceratops though.

ceratopsian

A great shame.  The re-release and release of Battat dinosaurs was a big thing as I began collecting models a few years back.  I was so disappointed when it became clear some would never see the light of day.  Especially that Pentaceratops.

Shonisaurus

The repainting of Battat's triceratops has made this figure increase its value from an artistic point of view and with that beautiful and extremely exotic and exuberant painting they make this triceratops a superior figure in terms of painting compared to the original. Nice figure.

SidB

Quote from: Shonisaurus on April 20, 2020, 03:00:14 PM
The repainting of Battat's triceratops has made this figure increase its value from an artistic point of view and with that beautiful and extremely exotic and exuberant painting they make this triceratops a superior figure in terms of painting compared to the original. Nice figure.
Thank you, on behalf of Chris, the artist.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: